• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    *takes a look at iTunes play count*

"The Kraken - 1"

Actually, aside from "Jack Sparrow" and "Wheel Of Fortune", everything else from DMT has 1 next to it! shocked biggrin

What about Davy Jones? The organ theme gets me every time!!! shocked

And was it DMT or DMC?? wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008
    DMT? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Dimethyl toluene? tongue

Sorry, today's chemistry test questions are still muddled up in my mind dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Dead Man's Tchest wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Southall wrote
    I've watched the first two Pirates of the Caribbean films over the past two days. I dunno... have I lost my mind? Maybe I have, because if the definition of a good score for a summer blockbuster is one where you can't actually imagine any other score being any better, then these are damn fine scores. I never thought I would say it. But I have.

Thank God! At least someone here shares my taste! Way to go, mate !! kiss beer

Who said they weren't damn fine scores? wink

Er... I always seemed to see "Pirates of Thhhhhhhhhh.... sleep " whenever the slightest mention of PoTC came up wink (no offense to anyone beer )

That was directed more to Jordi's constant mention of the scores (Especially AWE) rather than the score themselves, i think wink

That's ME! And spot on D, it's absolutely NOTHING to do with the scores!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Southall wrote
    I've watched the first two Pirates of the Caribbean films over the past two days. I dunno... have I lost my mind? Maybe I have, because if the definition of a good score for a summer blockbuster is one where you can't actually imagine any other score being any better, then these are damn fine scores. I never thought I would say it. But I have.

Thank God! At least someone here shares my taste! Way to go, mate !! kiss beer

Who said they weren't damn fine scores? wink

Er... I always seemed to see "Pirates of Thhhhhhhhhh.... sleep " whenever the slightest mention of PoTC came up wink (no offense to anyone beer )

That was directed more to Jordi's constant mention of the scores (Especially AWE) rather than the score themselves, i think wink

That's ME! And spot on D, it's absolutely NOTHING to do with the scores!

Cheers, matey!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It would have been nice with a little Elfman nod in THE DARK KNIGHT, but trust me...it ain't gonna happen!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited
  1. It's the same twice.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    Thor wrote
    It would have been nice with a little Elfman nod in THE DARK KNIGHT, but trust me...it ain't gonna happen!

Make it a little "nod" to Neal Hefti too while they're at it..."na na na na na na na na BATMAN!" rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp

From the article, regarding the Joker theme.

But the theme Zimmer wrote for the Joker, played in the film by the late Heath Ledger, is a damning piece of music. It's an intense eight-minute piece that comes off like an orchestral interpretation of a something created by Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails. Zimmer says the work is only two notes, but the two notes are twisted and manipulated into mimicking the sounds of thunder, razors and all sorts of clatter heard in alleyways probably better left unexplored.

Though that description may not make it sound like music to the ears, it's still immensely listenable. It plays out like something from a horror film, with many a shift in direction and a nod to "Psycho." But all of it is tied together by a striking blow of strings that keep it from falling apart, and Zimmer said it bears a punk influence.

It's all about acting and attitude, in a way. It's very much of the idea of taking one note and expressing any part of fearlessness and recklessness and surprise.... It is very industrial music. I tried to give it a punk attitude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lp wrote

From the article, regarding the Joker theme.

But the theme Zimmer wrote for the Joker, played in the film by the late Heath Ledger, is a damning piece of music. It's an intense eight-minute piece that comes off like an orchestral interpretation of a something created by Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails. Zimmer says the work is only two notes, but the two notes are twisted and manipulated into mimicking the sounds of thunder, razors and all sorts of clatter heard in alleyways probably better left unexplored.

Though that description may not make it sound like music to the ears, it's still immensely listenable. It plays out like something from a horror film, with many a shift in direction and a nod to "Psycho." But all of it is tied together by a striking blow of strings that keep it from falling apart, and Zimmer said it bears a punk influence.

It's all about acting and attitude, in a way. It's very much of the idea of taking one note and expressing any part of fearlessness and recklessness and surprise.... It is very industrial music. I tried to give it a punk attitude.

What better way to whet your appetite? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    This sounds good. Terribly good. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote

Lord almighty, this sounds like it might actually be worse than the first score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think we better open a new topic to discuss this score. Olright?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote

no. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nautilus wrote
    Bregt wrote

no. biggrin

Too late! http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … rd/#Item_3
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    Southall wrote
    lp wrote

Lord almighty, this sounds like it might actually be worse than the first score.

HAH! biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    Put in order from your more favourite to less favourite the next Zimmer's theme tongue?

1-Roll Tide
    2-This Land
    3-God's theme
    5-journey to the line
    3-Earth
    4-Last Samurai's love theme
    5-Tell me now
    6-Knight's march
    7-Sangreal's theme
    8-Marry me
    9-He's a pirate
    10-Hoist the colours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    I'll name the tracks and themes -

TRACK FAVOURITE THEME

01 - King of Pride Rock (Lion King) Final Battle, Ascension, CoL reprise
    02 - ...To Die For (Lion King)
    The Stampede theme w/ choir
    03 - Kings Of The Past (Lion King) This Land, Lion King Theme #2
    04 - The Ten Commandments (Prince Of Egypt) God Theme
    05 - The Chariot Race (Prince of Egypt) All of it!! biggrin
    06 - Am I Not Merciful? (Gladiator) Maximus theme w/ choir
    07 - What Shall We Die For (PoTC AWE) Hoist The Colours full theme
    08 - Davy Jones Davy Jones' organ music
    09 - The Kraken Flying Dutchman "biker gang" music
    10 - Wheel of Fortune Jack's themes, PoTC action theme
  2. BTW, Kung Fu Panda was reviewed on Filmtracks.

A three star review, but not negative about Zimmer IN PERSON biggrin

Actually Clemmensen says that Zimmer's part is much more "compelling". The reasons behind the three star is overbearing usage of ethnic instrumentation and some comedic music.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    the world is coming to an end
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    the world is coming to an end

LOL lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Nautilus wrote
    Put in order from your more favourite to less favourite the next Zimmer's theme

1. The Pirate Lord of Singapore (From PotC: Soundtrack Treasures Collection)
    2. The Ten Commandments (From The Prince of Egypt)
    3. The Burning Bush (From The Prince of Egypt)
    4. King of Pride Rock (From The Lion King)
    5. Show Me Your Firetruck (From Backdraft)
    6. Budget Meeting (From King Arthur)
    7. Let My Home Be My Gallows (From Hannibal)
    8. Red Warrior (From The Last Samurai)
    9. Bus Stop (From Spanglish)
    10. Daniel's 9th Cipher (From The Da Vinci Code)
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote

The reasons behind the three star is overbearing usage of ethnic instrumentation and some comedic music.

I love overbearing usage of ethnic instrumentation. I also love John Powell and Hans Zimmer. I guess I should go buy this score immediately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    The ethnic themes from The Lion King and Prince of Egypt have to be Hans' best till date, along with Thin Red Line and The Da Vinci Code.

Personally, the big finale from King of Pride Rock of Lion King is my #1 favourite track of all time.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    I love all the scores you mentioned except for Thin Red Line, and that is only because I haven't heard it yet. I'm sure I would love it too. I finally got Kung Fu Panda and am in the middle of my first listen. So far so good biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    Panthera wrote
    I love all the scores you mentioned except for Thin Red Line, and that is only because I haven't heard it yet. I'm sure I would love it too. I finally got Kung Fu Panda and am in the middle of my first listen. So far so good biggrin

THIN RED LINE is an excellent score and a brilliant album, and hey, I'm not even a Zimmer fan! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    Here ya go Zimmer / JNHfans smile

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh … ark211.xml

Zimmer to "chuck it all in"? shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Here ya go Zimmer / JNHfans smile

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh … ark211.xml

Zimmer to "chuck it all in"? shocked

WOW! I bring your attention to Hans saying he'll chuck it all in and..........silence!? shocked

wink cool