• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ... the news being that David Yates may be up for directing the final Potter book after all... meaning Nicholas Hooper will probably be called upon to expand his profound and exhilarating musical vision for the franchise. wink

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080220l.php
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    ... the news being that David Yates may be up for directing the final Potter book after all... meaning Nicholas Hooper will probably be called upon to expand his profound and exhilarating musical vision for the franchise. wink

I don't care!

Williams is back for INDY! punk

Harry who?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    ... the news being that David Yates may be up for directing the final Potter book after all... meaning Nicholas Hooper will probably be called upon to expand his profound and exhilarating musical vision for the franchise. wink

I don't care!

Harry who?

Amen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I don't care!

Harry who?

Absolutely. As long as James Hannigan scores the video game music biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008
    Yep, it's true. In fact, David Yates will helm two "Deathly Hallows" films so I guess Williams is out for the last film. sad
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Apparently Warner Bros. wants Williams back for the final chapter according to Ford Thaxton at FSM so Williams is still "in" if he wants the job!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I did a quick Google search for Ford Thaxton, but didn't find much information. I'm not really familiar with his name -- is he a reliable industry insider?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David wrote
    I did a quick Google search for Ford Thaxton, but didn't find much information. I'm not really familiar with his name -- is he a reliable industry insider?

He's a notable soundtrack producer who has many, many contacts within the film music world. He has produced albums for Silva Screen, GNP Cresendo, Prometheus, La La Land and helps run buysoundtrax.com

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    3 by Williams
    1 by Doyle
    4 by Hooper...

That is how it could end up if.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Apparently Warner Bros. wants Williams back for the final chapter according to Ford Thaxton at FSM so Williams is still "in" if he wants the job!

-Erik-

How recent was this, and could you provide a quote from him?

I'm pretty sure Yates would want to stick with Hooper, but even though I enjoyed Hooper's score for OOTP -- two final John Williams scores for DH would make me giddy as a schoolgirl.

Maybe they could strike a compromise -- let Yates use Hooper to score part 1 and have Williams score the final (and better) half. A Williams-scored second half of DH would be heaven in terms of action music and beautiful melodies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I don't care!

Harry who?

Absolutely. As long as James Hannigan scores the video game music biggrin

Agreed. This is more like bad news for Harry Potter fans, they'll bet getting lesser scores in their films while us John Williams fans are getting Indy IV.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And I thought this was going to be bad news. rolleyes
  2. If I were Yates, I'd tell my friend Hooper that it's time for him to "expand his horizons" and find a new franchise or something. I mean what director wouldn't want John Williams to work on their film? Especially if the two Deathly Hallow films could potentially be one of his last scores.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
  3. I think we should give a Hooper more of a chance. Of course he's not a Williams (who is??) but let's see what he does on Half Blood Prince and then worry about Deathly Hallows? If Yates is directing the last two, I very much doubt his decision to use Hooper would be overriden by WB. Why rock the boat then the films are grossing megabucks even without Williams at the helm? It's a business.

I also hope James Hannigan will be back for the games.

--Dazzled--
  4. Grimble Gromble wrote
    If I were Yates, I'd tell my friend Hooper that it's time for him to "expand his horizons" and find a new franchise or something. I mean what director wouldn't want John Williams to work on their film? Especially if the two Deathly Hallow films could potentially be one of his last scores.

Who wouldn't want Williams on a film?? A TV director who is used to collaborating with TV composers, that's who.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Let's hire Sean Callery! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Let's hire Sean Callery! rolleyes

Oh that would be a very popular decision biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    slant
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven said it best, it's just Potter fans who're pissed!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DazzledByYou wrote
    Why rock the boat then the films are grossing megabucks even without Williams at the helm? It's a business.

It's a business... exactly! Any good business man wants to make MORE money. A score album with the name John Williams on it will sell more albums that with the name Nicholas Hooper on it... guaranteed.

Matt C wrote
    How recent was this, and could you provide a quote from him?

"By all accounts WB would LOVE to get Williams back for the last one...."
    - Ford Thaxton

http://fsm.rciwebhosting.net/board/post … ;archive=0

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who gives a f**k about lame Harry Potter; bring Indiana in! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

I do. They are films that are a perfect fit for GREAT fantasy adventure music and unfortunately Nicholas Hooper isn't providing that. And the films themselves aren't that bad. I really the last three.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I do. They are films that are a perfect fit for GREAT fantasy adventure music and unfortunately Nicholas Hooper isn't providing that. And the films themselves aren't that bad. I really the last three.

-Erik-

I've only got the first two Williams scores. I really like the first, but the second seems like a bit of a mess. I haven't even bothered with the Hooper scores, are they anywhere near as good in comparison? And what's the third Williams one like? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

I've only got the first two Williams scores. I really like the first, but the second seems like a bit of a mess. I haven't even bothered with the Hooper scores, are they anywhere near as good in comparison? And what's the third Williams one like? confused

Dooooooooooooooood... you don't have the BEST score of the series... Prisoner of Azkaban?!

shocked

I highly recommend you make that you very next purchase! I also recommend you check out Doyle's effort as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I'm willing to give Hooper another chance. I enjoyed, to an extent, his effort on Phoenix and would like to hear how he improves for Half-Blood Prince. I'll reserve my judgement of him scoring the final two films after that.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with Williams coming back for the end. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote

It was a given Williams would be back, as Indy is both Lucas and Spielberg's baby. Plus Williams always bumps films off his schedule if they conflict with scoring for Spielberg's films.

And for that remark about Harry Potter... *knocks Demetris's chair over*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin kiss

(still i stick to what i said
    wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    I wonder if he is scoring the holocaust film for Spielberg?
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    I wonder if he is scoring the holocaust film for Spielberg?

What film is this Tom?
  5. Rumor is that it's 'Schindler's List 2: The Nazis Strike Back' but don't quote me on that.

A little shameless I know but at this hour of the night I'd say almost anything... shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.