• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
  1. I'm not sure that ISPs would like to be the music industry's equivalent of a rent collector?

(I was going to use the phrase "rent boy" but I realised that's not what I meant.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My only concern is that ISPs wouldn't be too happy charging $5 more to anyone who didn't download music anyway.

Still, I think that's a great idea. They've accepted the fact that file sharing is here to stay and cleverly have come up with how to make money from it. I support them! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    An estimated 1.6 billion music files are downloaded in Canada each year on "grey-market" peer-to-peer systems, representing $1.6 billion in lost revenue, using the iTunes price model of 99 cents per download.

OK, so they just assume that people would have downloaded the same number of files if they had to pay for them?
    Cookie monster
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Of course people wouldn't do that - but $5 extra to LEGALLY download all the music you want would be well worth it. Plus the best news - if this happens - iTunes dies! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    - iTunes dies! biggrin

Amen!

But why do that if you're already able to download whatever you want for free? Another desperate trick of the industries that won't work eventually, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Because I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't do it now because it's illegal. Plus there's the peace of mind of paying $5 to keep the RIAA off your back. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    I want an alternative route:

itune (or Amazon) provides lossless formats of music, and charge half of their current price for each song.