• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008 edited
    Of course, it's a known anomaly in the pop/techno/remix world that they generally use samples of older music, to spice up their tracks. They've been known to use anything ranging from old blues, classical music to, yes, filmmusic.

Since I recently re-discovered that Jakatta didn't just use Any Other Name from Thomas Newman's American Beauty in his hittrack American Dream (formerly known as American Booty) but also Cliff Martinez' Traffic in a track from that very same album (Visions) namely It Will Be. And it doesn't stop there! He also used Gabriel Yareds Betty Blue (Cargo Voyage, to be exact) and remixed it into Feeling Blue, while Shawshank Redemption's Brooks Was Here can be heard in the remix of the Seal song My Vision.

So, is it an outrage, a theft? Or a warm hommage to filmmusic, putting the pianothemes of Thomas Neman out in the mass audience giving it the attention it deserves? Do you go "yay, how cool they used this track!" whenever you hear such a thing, or are you annoyed, saying to the others around you "they should have a listen to the real deal"?

I myself are torn in between. Having a fondness for dance music (when produced properly) I often find it quite exhilerating to hear 'my' beloved filmmusic in a different context. Yet I draw the line when people are praising the DJ for something he didn't do. Credits due, where credits due. I've read a review of Thoms American Beauty score where the reviewer blamed him for stealing Jakatta's pianotheme!

Still, whatever your opinion is, I thought it would be fun to look at all the examples where a filmscore is being sampled, to great or poor effect. Here's my full list:

Jakatta - American Dream
    Score sampled: Any Other Name, from Thomas Newman's American Beauty

Jakatta - It Will Be
    Score sampled: Cliff Martinez' Traffic

Jakatta - Feeling Blue
    Score sampled: Cargo Voyage, from Gabriel Yared's Betty Blue

Jakatta - My Vision
    Score sampled: Brooks Was Here, from Thomas Newman's The Shawshank Redemption

Jakatta - The Other World
    Score sampled: John Barry's Diamonds Are Forever

Sneaker Pimps - 6 Underground
    Score sampled: Golden Girl, from John Barry's Goldfinger

The Prodigy - Climbatize
    Score sampled: Payback Time, from John Ottman's The Usual Suspects

Buzz Fuzz - Open Sesame
    Score sampled: Second Sight Seance, from Christopher Young's Hellbound: Hellraiser II

Reflect - Need to Feel Loved
    Score sampled: Ghosts, from Thomas Newman's Road to Perdition

Busta Rhymes - Gimme Some Mo'
    Score sampled: Prelude, from Bernard Herrmann's Psycho

Daft Punk - Around the World
    Score sampled: Rec Room, from Jerry Goldsmith's Outland

...more to come! Which one's do you know? wave
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
    I don't know whether you'd count it, but the drum and bass remix of the Imperial March is the best thing EVER. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    I don't know whether you'd count it, but the drum and bass remix of the Imperial March is the best thing EVER. wink

Haha, I know that one, and it rocks! But that's just a full remix of filmscore, like Tiesto's remix of Pirates of the Caribbean. No, I'm looking for that obscure tracks that uses a sample of a score, of which you wouldn't expect one to be, and you go like: "I know this...!" smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ''My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style'' uses Quincy Jonse's ''theme'' for Austin Powers (the Soul Bossa Nova). Ok, not necessarily score but it's still a nice piece (but I forget who the remix it's by!). Have there been any more remixes of this as I really, really like it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008 edited
    Hey Bob wave

Do you NOT recognise the track 'The Other World' from JAKATTA's album Visions?

Not only that but he gives this "obscure" composer no credit whatsoever in the booklet, at least he credits Newman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've heard that Ennio Morricone is THE most sampled film composer, I've personally heard tracks that use the 'Dollars' trilogy and Once Upon A Time In The West 'Man With The Harmonica', though I can't remember who did these versions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    I've heard that Ennio Morricone is THE most sampled film composer, I've personally heard tracks that use the 'Dollars' trilogy and Once Upon A Time In The West 'Man With The Harmonica', though I can't remember who did these versions.

I think you're right.

BTW there was a cool video on Youtube sometime back which showed the entire process from playing a Morricone album (I think it was Le Professional), extracting a hook from it, adding more sounds and making a loop/sample. I couldn't find it on Youtube now. Maybe it was taken off. Peter, do you remember this one? (It was a French DJ who did this)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    This is an interesting thread, I'm surprised it's sunk to page 2 already?

Another theme that has been sampled over and over is Roy Budd's classic and iconic theme to GET CARTER.

I'd love to know more about who these versions are performed by?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Hey Bob wave

Not only that but he gives this "obscure" composer no credit whatsoever in the booklet, at least he credits Newman.

No, I didn't recognise it... EDIT: wait! Now I'm listening to it... is this... James Bond? shocked EDIT 3: It's Diamonds Are Forever!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Hey Bob wave

No, I didn't recognise it... what score's it from? Should I know it? Am I being stupid? confused shame

Nope! I guess you're just not a JOHN BARRY or a JAMES BOND fan?

The track The Other World is EXACTLY the same as Barry's 007 And Counting from Diamonds Are Forever, just minus the French horns and with an added 'chill out' vibe. I've got to admit that I really like Jakatta's version but I'm surprised you didn't hear that 'Bond sound' in the track as every friend of mine who've heard that album say "is that James Bond?"

EDITED : Just seen your edit...ya got there Bob cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    Nope! I guess you're just not a JOHN BARRY or a JAMES BOND fan?

The track The Other World is EXACTLY the same as Barry's 007 And Counting from Diamonds Are Forever, just minus the French horns and with an added 'chill out' vibe. I've got to admit that I really like Jakatta's version but I'm surprised you didn't hear that 'Bond sound' in the track as every friend of mine who've heard that album say "is that James Bond?"

EDITED : Just seen your edit...ya got there Bob cool

Oh, I simply had heard it only once, and didn't pay that much attention to it wink Then I just put it on again, and I just discovered the 007 sound. I had to google for the exact 007-score, though shame

But you're right! Quite shocking how he samples something so widely known as a James Bond theme! Man, this whole album is just a remix of different filmscores! Why doesn't Jakatta just present it that way?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    I agree Bob, but it's still an excellent listen, I play 'Visions' quite often. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, for sure, when you accept the music the way it is, this new setting of the scores works quite nice. However, I do feel like I'm playing a Seal song on iTunes and a Thomas Newman theme on WinAmp simultaneously when listening to My Vision... I guess I'm just too familair with the Shawshank score to gell well in my head.

Btw, I also added Busta Rhymes' Gimme Some Mo' to the list. Probably one of the most known examples of sampled filmmusic, where he uses Psycho. I still can't believe I knew the rapsong first... so when I watched Gus Van Sa... euh, Hitchcock's Psycho, I thought: "hey, that's from that Busta Rhymes song!" shame (I was young, people! shame )
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    Can't remember the name of the song and the artist now (might have Jakatta as well actually), but there's BRAVEHEART sample out there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, i also know there's a Dutch rap song that samples Jerry Goldsmith's The Mummy, but I heard it in a public place sometime and didn't know the band nor title. Irritating!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Oh, i also know there's a Dutch rap song that samples Jerry Goldsmith's

shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, its not the first time Goldsmith was sampled wink

Just added: