• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    Elliot Goldenthal's massive non-film music works are quite challenging. From his film music, IN DREAMS is pretty difficult to listen to.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    Schoenberg 12 tone works.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Elliot Goldenthal's massive non-film music works are quite challenging. From his film music, IN DREAMS is pretty difficult to listen to.

Good challenging music but I don't find it difficullt to listen too, familiarity maybe? There are far more challenging stuf out there, most of it un-listenable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Then what's a ''challenging listening experience''? Is it something that's far away from conventional technical ideas? Or something that just hurts to listening to and does something to you that goes beyond 'just' moving you?

I can easily endure some experimental scores like Ecce Homo. But I know some scores that I cannot listen to a lot (quite conventional ones), because they suck out all my energy for large bit and then need some time to come to my senses again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My definition of a challenging listen is one that takes time to sink in, but one that isn't necessarily trying (i.e. so bland it takes the piss). A simple score can be trying, but that doesn't make it 'challenging' in the intellectual sense (just challenging in the literal sense!)

For a score to be "challenging", it has to be good. I think Goldenthal's scores fit that description quite well, as they're not always the easiest of listens.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Good challenging music but I don't find it difficullt to listen too, familiarity maybe? There are far more challenging stuf out there, most of it un-listenable.

EDITED TO ADD:

What a load of rubbish I wrote last night rolleyes

As a brand new listen Goldenthal is certainly a challeging and always interesting listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I initially found I wasn't able sit through the first two LoTR complete recordings in one continuous sit. But I can, now! biggrin

BTW RoTK always kept my interest throughout the 4 hrs!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoy212
    Timmer wrote
    Scores like Goldsmith's RUNAWAY are very challenging.......at least, Ican barely listen to it!?

Not many challenging scores in this generic age.

I agree with Timmer, Runaway is really a difficult listen for me. I also have difficulty listening to the Planet of the Apes CD's. Then there is Debney's complete Cutthroat Island. I absolutely love this score, but to listen to it in it's entirety....I get exhausted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As I said, I think there should be a distinction between a trying score and a challenging one. CutThroat can be a trying score to get through, but I wouldn't call it a challenging score by any stretch of the imagination. Far too fun for that!

Still, having said that, semantics needless be this complex in all situations, but certainly for this topic I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I don´t know about the Most part, but Coldplay´s "Viva La Vida" is a very Challenging Listening Experience. Every time it´s on air, I get a headache...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoy212
    Steven wrote
    As I said, I think there should be a distinction between a trying score and a challenging one. CutThroat can be a trying score to get through, but I wouldn't call it a challenging score by any stretch of the imagination. Far too fun for that!

Still, having said that, semantics needless be this complex in all situations, but certainly for this topic I think.

You are correct Steven, Cutthroat Island is a trying score, and GREAT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I think a lot of the Challenging part depends on the mood and situation. Sometimes it´s easy to listen through one of the Complete Recordings of LOTR, and sometimes it isn´t. I´d call listening to all three CRs in a row challenging, if not exhausting, for sure, but also an immense experience.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I don´t know about the Most part, but Coldplay´s "Viva La Vida" is a very Challenging Listening Experience. Every time it´s on air, I get a headache...

Strangely I quite like that track and believe me, I am no fan of Coldplay.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Strangely I quite like that track and believe me, I am no fan of Coldplay.

The very repetitive nature of the orchestration is extremely unnerving for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Very bad album indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    My brain is greatly challanged when someone puts on a Rap cd. That hurts my head. I feel like the Grench , all the noise , Noise, NOISE!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    But is that really music?
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's less about musicality and more about expression. This is why it has much appeal for many.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's less about musicality and more about expression. This is why it has much appeal for many.

Exactly! It's not my bag but I actually do like some and can appreciate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

You already know how I feel my friend.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    moonie wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

You already know how I feel my friend.

sd smile

I didn't know you were a secret hip hop / rap fan? biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Yes Moonie the Mix Master!

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Challenging scores? How about everything that Carlo Crivelli writes?

Also, Ennio on suspense/non-melodic mode is never an easy listen for me. I was glad to be rid of Le Foto Proibite di Una Signora per Bene, Il Fiore Delle Mille E Una Notte, Gott Mit Uns, I Come Icaro and many others...
    Perhaps not a score, but I could never get beyond the initial few minutes of the LMCSL Messa of Morricone et. al.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    moonie wrote
    Yes Moonie the Mix Master!

sd smile

Moon Dogg.....Moon Diddy......MC Moon-E.....Moon-E-Moon......

I think there's a lot to get out of your name cool