• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009
    It's a dilemma! As an ARR fan I'm rejoicing. But as a film score fan it sucks that the award was more of a Slumdog Millionaire juggernaut than a music score award. Poor Desplat!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I felt that too, kinda. But I'm very happy for maestro Rahman, he deserves the recognition! I hope he gets more Hollywood projects to score now and more scores of his get released!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    BhelPuri wrote
    L. A. Film Critics Assoc. have announced their awards
    http://www.lafca.net/news.html

MUSIC/SCORE: A.R. Rahman, "Slumdog Millionaire"

Runner-up: Alexandre Desplat, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

While I'm happy for ARR, I just don't see how this won for a music score. There's very little score in the movie. There's quite a bit of vocals and songs.

Rahman wrote those songs and they serve both as dramatic underscore and pop music. He did a great job for the movie. I'm glad he won, cause Benjamin Button doesn't deserve it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sorry, but that's bs. Benjamin Button (or i insert DEFIANCE) doesn't deserve it and Slumdog Millionaire does so?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I´ve just listened "Slumdog Millionaire" and I have to say that if the music featured in the cd is representative of the score, then I think Tyler Bates should win the Oscar for "The day the Earth stood still". Yes, "Slumdog Millionaire" is that bad.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My father told me growing up to keep my mouth shut and my thoughts to myself. Such is the case with this film.
    Thomas sad
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I'm afraid we have the Oscar-winner too in the person of Rahman...judging from previous experiences (see: Santaolalla)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sorry, but that's bs. Benjamin Button (or i insert DEFIANCE) doesn't deserve it and Slumdog Millionaire does so?

Benjamin Button doesn't bring anything great to the table, and I hate the pretentiousness and false earnest of it. Slumdog inhabits the spirit of the movie and revels in it, can't ask for a better score than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Benjamin Button doesn't bring anything great to the table, and I hate the pretentiousness and false earnest of it. Slumdog inhabits the spirit of the movie and revels in it, can't ask for a better score than that.

I can think of dozens and dozens of better scores written in 2008 that deserve it more than Button... but especially deserve it more than Slumdog. Sure, it's valid to say that the songs in the film serves the film in a dramatic fashion like a score but that's why there are two different catergories set up during awards time. One of song and one for score. If Slumdog is going to win (or be nominated for anything) then it should be for the songs in the picture. The score on the other hand is far from being the best score of the year and lets hope that the AMPAS understands the difference between song and score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    I can think of dozens and dozens of better scores written in 2008 that deserve it more than Button... but especially deserve it more than Slumdog. Sure, it's valid to say that the songs in the film serves the film in a dramatic fashion like a score but that's why there are two different catergories set up during awards time. One of song and one for score. If Slumdog is going to win (or be nominated for anything) then it should be for the songs in the picture. The score on the other hand is far from being the best score of the year and lets hope that the AMPAS understands the difference between song and score.

-Erik-

The score does consist of both vocal and instrumental pieces, so as a "musical" score, it certainly deserve a chance to be nominated.

It's true that there were a lot of score that were more deserving, but they weren't nominated, so whatever. This is between Slumdog and Button, and I'm happy that it got the award since the work, that A.R. Rahman did for the movie, helped the movie be what it is now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Not just Slumdog and Button, Frost/Nixon and Defiance were also tough and deserving competitors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Not just Slumdog and Button, Frost/Nixon and Defiance were also tough and deserving competitors.

I would have given it to Defiance.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

Me too. I was in fact hoping for either JNH or Rahman to get it.
  1. I haven't got the faintest idea why Rahman won the Golden Globe because I haven't heard it, so I can't comment on it whether it is earned or not, but it is definitely a surprising bold choice

anyhoo congrats Rahman, hope the score is worth it
    The others were fine but 2009 has been a rather weak year I'm affraid so I don't care that much anymore
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I haven't got the faintest idea why Rahman won the Golden Globe because I haven't heard it, so I can't comment on it whether it is earned or not, but it is definitely a surprising bold choice

The others were fine but 2009 has been a rather weak year I'm affraid so I don't care that much anymore

2009 has hardly started Thomas wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I haven't got the faintest idea why Rahman won the Golden Globe because I haven't heard it, so I can't comment on it whether it is earned or not, but it is definitely a surprising bold choice

2009 has hardly started Thomas wink

drats, I meant 2008 tongue

pfff, like 2009 will be any better rolleyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

Absolutely.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009
    OK, so I really enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire, my first A.R. Rahman experience. Any recommendations?
  3. Start posting at www.awardsdaily.com. Join the petition of offended moviegoers to make the International Film Music Critics Association recognise Rahman's fine work. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2009
    If the deadline hadn't been so early that there wasn't time to digest 2008's music, then I would certainly have recognised it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009
    Southall wrote
    If the deadline hadn't been so early that there wasn't time to digest 2008's music, then I would certainly have recognised it.

Again shocked But I agree about the deadline.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    OK, so I really enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire, my first A.R. Rahman experience. Any recommendations?

You mean the movie or the score? If the latter, then shocked

As for score suggestions, you might want to check out-
    Bose: The Forgotten Hero
    I'd call this his best work. It contains songs plus... surprise, surprise-- 20 min of score! There are some parts which are over-the-top but for most it's just lovely. Not sure where you can get the cd but Amazon has the MP3

Warriors of Heaven and Earth
    This is the score to the Chinese film. It's his first full orchestral score and a pretty good job at that. It was re-issued under a different name Between Heaven and Earth and marketed off as a world music album. But it should be available for dirt cheap.

There are more if you don't mind the songs (but very little score)-- Lagaan, Swades, Meenaxi...

franz_conrad wrote
    Start posting at www.awardsdaily.com. Join the petition of offended moviegoers to make the International Film Music Critics Association recognise Rahman's fine work. wink

LOL! This comment made my day biggrin

Anyway there's a new soundtrack that's just out. I'm totally hooked on it-- Delhi 6
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going out shopping today so will have a look for those you recommend (though I guess they won't have them and I'll have to order from Amazon, but you never know!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    BhelPuri wrote
    Warriors of Heaven and Earth
    This is the score to the Chinese film. It's his first full orchestral score and a pretty good job at that. It was re-issued under a different name Between Heaven and Earth and marketed off as a world music album. But it should be available for dirt cheap.

I bought this. Really like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I love it, too!

So many of his great orchestral scores like Lagaan remain unreleased... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Would like more of an opinion from all of you on this material
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Would like more of an opinion from all of you on this material

On WHAT material? Use quotes, Tom, or we have no idea what you are talking about or referring to.

-Erik-
  4. I guess he's talking about Slumdog!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website