• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    And David Arnold is the new John Barry

<dies with shock that Timmer said this>
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    And David Arnold is the new John Barry

<dies with shock that Timmer said this>

biggrin

I don't agree with it for one second, I was just quoting what has been said elsewhere.

Fact is, like Williams, Goldsmith, Morricone, Mancini, Bernstein and a small handful of others John Barry is a one off truly original composer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorantonios
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2009
    dreamss on fire!!! Rahman's score was incredible
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009 edited
    Here is an analysis of the score of Lagaan (albeit spoilerific) along with audio clips from the DVD as the score has not been released. It is one of my top 5 Rahman scores -

http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/200 … agaan.html

Especially check out clips #37 and 38, I love that menacing brass-led piece. He's got some more interesting Rahman reviews but I don't read through it fully as I cringe when I read the word "background" along with "score" tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2009
    Interview at Apple-
    Part 1
    Part 2

Describe your method for scoring a film.

I mostly don't write to specifically defined cues. I just watch the film a couple of times, stop watching it, then write something that comes to my mind from the film. This way, when I try to sync the music, the results are that much more wholesome. You get something extra that you don't get when you're looking at specific points in the timeline. The music is much more organic this way, not jumping cue to cue. It's more about counterpointing and, sometimes, walking hand-in-hand. Most of the time it works out. If you watch the picture and try to have a specific chord change here, a tempo change there, when the director comes back and wants to move picture, you find that you've wasted time. I think this way is more appealing to me and to the people watching the film. Click tracks and following the SMPTE are necessary for some things, but once you have everything in Logic, then afterwards you can edit and make minor changes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2009
    That explains why some cues in his films are reused for other scenes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    Very interesting review of Slumdog Millionaire
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    It was all about money!!!! When are people going to realize it.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009

LMAO!! His stereotyping of the Bollywood stuff is so damn hilarious my sides are still aching from laughing! lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

LMAO!! His stereotyping of the Bollywood stuff is so damn hilarious my sides are still aching from laughing! lol

And he's INDIAN! Have you clicked on relevant videos? I am absolutely addicted to that guy! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'll definitely check them out! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009
    Trailer for Shekhar Kapur short film Passage, starring Julia Stiles. The music is by ARR
    http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2009/ … lia-Stiles
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Everyone wants to cash in on his popularity post-Oscars so here's a biography that will be out soon. rolleyes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arrahmanfa … 5/sizes/o/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is serious vomit-inducing material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

Hah! What else can you expect from a journalist working for the Times of India (more affectionately/appropriately called Toiletpaper of India)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, when money talks nothing gets in between I am afraid and it's not just a "privilege" of this Indian rag as you describe it, my friend. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hah! What else can you expect from a journalist working for the Times of India (more affectionately/appropriately called Toiletpaper of India)?

I can only take your word for it. It sounds very much like the kind of Indian hyperbole I remember.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed. And I feel the actual mention of his instrumental scores/scoring process will constitute less than 20% of the book. Rest is devoted to songs and Bollywood discussions tongue

I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to stop myself doing rolleyes when I hear people here say Rahman won Best Original *SCORE* for Jai Ho. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote

I can only take your word for it. It sounds very much like the kind of Indian hyperbole I remember.

Oh, the TOI was once a good newspaper. Sadly with the internet age they focussed more on the glamor quotient and less on news content. Their website was (and is probably still) an abomination-- chock full of ads and galleries of scantily clad women. Their writers are masters of lame puns and 4 sentence articles. They're a tabloid masquerading as a newspaper.

DemonStar wrote
    Indeed. And I feel the actual mention of his instrumental scores/scoring process will constitute less than 20% of the book. Rest is devoted to songs and Bollywood discussions tongue

Indeed! It's going to be just that. Yet another recounting of the troubles of his past and more fluff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    A.R. Rahman will be scoring Jon Favreau's romantic comedy Couples Retreat.

Source - http://entertainment.oneindia.in/music/ … 90509.html

lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    DemonStar wrote
    A.R. Rahman will be scoring Jon Favreau's romantic comedy Couples Retreat

Yeah, this was posted on GSA Music sometime back but it wasn't clear whether he was scoring it or if they were using some of his earlier works. Atleast now it's confirmed.

He did an interview with CNN-Talk Asia and this is quite nice with a tour of his house and studio and a demo of his process-
    CNN Talk Asia - Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    AR is lovely when it comes to emotional scoring. I'm excited!
  1. DemonStar wrote
    A.R. Rahman will be scoring Jon Favreau's romantic comedy Couples Retreat.

Source - http://entertainment.oneindia.in/music/ … 90509.html

lick

I'm surprised John Debney doesn't do it, then again he's swamped anyway with all the work
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    Rahman has been invited by the AMPAS for membership to Oscar voting in the Music category next year - http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleas … 90630.html

Other composers invited are Jeff Danna, Peter Gabriel, Clint Mansell and Andrew Dorfman.
  2. Joep wrote
    ''and is also known as the John Williams of India.''

Must resist, must resist!

I think they've mistaken him for Joe Hisaishi. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    ARR and his students performed recently for the 50th anniversary celebration of India's public TV broadcaster. Some videos from the unplugged concert-

Hindustani classical piece by KM Musiq choir (Part 1 and Part 2)
    Tu Hi Re (Bombay) and Dheemi Dheemi (1947 Earth)
    Dreams on Fire (Slumdog Millionaire), Chan Chan (Water) and Naina Neer (Water)
    Ay Hairathe (Guru)
    Bharat Humko (Roja)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Very nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I completely disagree in comparing A.R.Rahman with John Williams. I believe many people in the West doesn't know anything about Indian Maestro Ilaiyaraja, one of the greatest Indian composer. I will agree if people Ilaiyaraja with John Williams. That would certainly do justice in comparison. But comparing Rahman with Williams..... no way.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    I hope the comparisons being done between JW and Rahman are purely metaphorical (after all Rahman did revolutionize the film score front out here in India), because their composing styles are not similar at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    There you are. beer biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.