• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    Eh... just in case, I said that their composing styles are very different, not that Rahman isn't talented. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ravi, I never said he isn't talented, of course, he is, but comparing him with John Williams is not worthy. That's my argument.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yes, their music cannot be compared because they have very different styles of composing, and they also score different types of films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Honestly speaking, i feel pity for Indian composers who never gets opportunity to compose for movies which has various subjects and themes. For instance, in Hollywood, they have different genres like sci-fi, historical drama/comedy, action, drama, true stories, animation etc. But here, most of the filmmakers mainly focus on love subjects, which is really irritates me. There are quite exceptional filmmakers like Shekar Kapur, Maniratnam, A.R.Murugadoss, Ashutosh Gowriker, Shyam Benegal, Balachander, Fazil, Priyadarshan, Kamal Hassan who puts their sincere effort to give quality cinema in Indian people. Hats off to them! In fact, A.R.Rahman itself admitted in an interview, he is quite bored of composing music for love subjects again and again. He himself hunting for various subjects and themes. I am hoping for revolution in Indian Cinema. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    To be short, they make the kind of films the current generation digs. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I am sorry, What??? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They make the kind of films teenagers and other young people like to watch because it's the most profitable for them, even if the resultant movie is a piece of crap (as I find 90% of them to be). tongue

Out of the 2000 or something Hindi films coming every year, I find only about 1 or 2 worth watching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    Actually, I've seen an Indian "sci fi" film once, if you could call it that - at a festival in 2001 or thereabouts. I think it was called THE BODY in English. Memory is a little sketchy at this point, but it did concern a grandmother who went to sleep in this big, cryogenic "coffin" with lots of blinking lights. There was also some paranoia/governmental intervention going on. Anyone can fill me out?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nevermind, I found some info on the film. Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

http://www.chaosmag.in/nihalani.html
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Haven't seen that one, but so far all sci-fi Hindi movies I saw were total Hollywood rips. For example Koi Mil Gaya ("I Found Someone") was a complete lift of E.T.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Koi Mil Gaya is quite mixed of E.T and Close Encounter of third Kind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Out of the 2000 or something Hindi films coming every year, I find only about 1 or 2 worth watching.

After Lagaan, i stopped watching Hindi films. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I saw Taare Zameen Par last year, that was a good film. Interesting to note, it wasn't really popular among my friends except for a casual "yeah, it was nice". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    I, too, saw that film but not in theater. My close friend gave me a DVD copy and he insisted me to watch the movie. Before watching the movie i was under impression that this film was going to be same old stupid sentimental masala. But after watching the movie, i was completely wrong about that movie. To me, Taare Zameen par should won the oscar instead of Slumdog Millionaire. TZP is really great movie. Thank God! it wasn't typical boring Bollywood movies. I really admire Aamir Khan as an actor as well as filmmaker. Hats off!
  1. Sunil wrote

After Lagaan, i stopped watching Hindi films. tongue

No more LAGAAN!? biggrin

I love it. Great film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    For me it's Aamir's best film ever. Love every moment of it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    ARR with Vangelis earier this month-
    http://www.arrahman.com/v2/pic3.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    applause thanks for sharing! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote

Nice pic! Vangelis looks like a real Greek "adonis" there, all dressed in white, a little overweight and relaxing comfortably on a couch by the sea! Pavarotti 2?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nice pic! Both the maestros look laid back and kewl. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Nice pic! Vangelis looks like a real Greek "adonis" there, all dressed in white, a little overweight and relaxing comfortably on a couch by the sea! Pavarotti 2?

Too much Moussaka no doubt wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    Nice pic! Both the maestros look laid back and kewl. cool

Hmmm....

Btw, is anyone else sharing the notion that the whole Indian cinema / Bollywood thing is overrated? I mean, sure there are gems out there but the genre is actually most of the times full of overly cheesy, unbearable crap. Srsly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Absolutely. For the past few years, Indian film industry aren't able to deliver quality movies. As you rightly said, there were gems, but at present scenario, just sucks. In fact, even Hollywood movies also losing the grip in delivering quality movies. tongue They highly depend upon either remakes or comic books. Hmmm... this could be the reason why i started giving more importance to music than movies. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "In fact, even Hollywood movies also losing the grip in delivering quality movies. "

But of course, that's very valid. But i find the average indian movie much more unbearable than the average Hollywood movie and i am not sure it's actually a cultural thing, in the essence that i don't think that most Indian people actually love that stuff instead of say, the average Hollywood movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw, is anyone else sharing the notion that the whole Indian cinema / Bollywood thing is overrated? I mean, sure there are gems out there but the genre is actually most of the times full of overly cheesy, unbearable crap. Srsly.

I agree, 98% of the Bollywood movies being churned out here these days are utter crap. Maybe one can count the good Hindi films of this decade on their fingers. I feel even generic Hollywood stuff is better than most Bolly now, at least most of them don't make me go drowsy.. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    But of course, that's very valid. But i find the average indian movie much more unbearable than the average Hollywood movie and i am not sure it's actually a cultural thing, in the essence that i don't think that most Indian people actually love that stuff instead of say, the average Hollywood movie?

Yes, i agree. Nowadays, Indian movies sucks. As you rightly said, i can't sit and watch the movies in theater. That's why after Lagaan, i stopped watching Indian movies in theater. That doesn't mean i hate Lagaan, i like Lagaan very much. But afterwards, none of the films are worth watching. In that case, i agree average Hollywood movies are better than average Indian movies. But you should know there are few filmmakers who puts the genuine and sincere effort to give quality cinema to Indian audience. Moreover, here people's admiration towards movie is totally mystery. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, of course there's a lot of crap. When you spew out so many films over such a short amount of time, there's bound to be. The ratio is higher than Hollywood, even. But there's also very much quality stuff out there.

Also, there's some absolutely fantastic and breathtaking film OUTSIDE Bollywood, throughout Indian film history, "alternative" or more artsy stuff, if you like, that can stand up to any other paradigm around the world. I think you'd like some of that if you got the chance to see it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know mate; but - although not the rule, all the clapping and dancing and cheesy repeated story of boy and girl each and every time makes me reach for ma buckit though wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    i CAN'T BELIEVE THIS THREAD HAS 208 COMMENTS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    i CAN'T BELIEVE THIS THREAD HAS 208 COMMENTS.

Why? It's India's most famous film composer (at least in the West), and now also an Oscar-winning composer.

What I can't believe is how guys like Giacchino or Brian Tyler have threads that go into the THOUSANDS!!
    I am extremely serious.