• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    BLUE (SONGS by Rahman, no score).

series o.s.0 - sound clipst

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 … d_i=231249

Blue is cool! I don't like all of the tracks but Rehnuma, Fiqrana and the Blue theme are fun, fun, fun. There's a deliberate Bond sound in Rehnuma which makes it awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    There's always something funny in a sentence that reads "rahman delivers a good score" wink

Mmm? Check out Warriors Of Earth And Heaven and Bose: The Forgotten Hero. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Psst, DemonStar... don't feed the trolls.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009 edited
    No, feed me! I haven't heard those scores, i have to admit, but you also need to recognize that the stuff that got him well-known in the rest of the world isn't exactly first quality. wink I might give the older material some trying though!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009 edited
    Yeah, Slumdog isn't his best score, but after watching the movie I must say it fit the visuals quite well. I still wouldn't have given it an Oscar though.

And how can you pass him off as not delivering good scores based on only Slumdog, when you haven't even heard his better works at all? At least give them a listen before judging his scoring abilities. His scores to Lagaan, Bose and Warriors Of Earth And Heaven are much superior and engaging than Slumdog, so check them out if you can! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    New interview with A.R Rahman here - http://www.filmmusicsite.com/titles.cgi … mp;lang=en
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, feed me! I haven't heard those scores, i have to admit, but you also need to recognize that the stuff that got him well-known in the rest of the world isn't exactly first quality. wink I might give the older material some trying though!

It's EXACTLY first quality. Creative, catchy, appeal to the masses - exactly what film music should be all about.
    • CommentAuthortimme
    You can listen to an interview with A.R. Rahman on www.filmmusicsite.com. He is in Belgium for the filmfestival in Ghent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's EXACTLY first quality. Creative, catchy, appeal to the masses - exactly what film music should be all about.

Exactly what film music should be all about? You mean with popular songs and hot chicks all over the place in the video clips? Many artists from other genres have and are still doing it way more professional and successful, we don't need film music in that venue too. And don't tell me that Rahman and Slumdog Millionaire are known for the 20 minutes of crappy synth score and not the actual hit songs instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You're right, it's more known for the songs, but you can't tell me you think Latika's Theme is "crappy synth score"? I didn't think any of it could be described like that. Perfect score for the film. But I feel we may have had this conversation before!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll tell it again. The man's an excellent song writer, he has the vibe, the rhythm and the melody. But his film score abilities are either very limited or very....odd. The whole thing is overblown and it'll pass, imo, just like with Gustavo Santaolalla.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What was wrong with the Slumdog score then? What composer would have written a better score for that film? The score is such a gigantic reason for that film's success, I can't believe you can't see that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Yes, Slumdog's music perfectly matched the movie. But it is not a great SCORE. It is very overrated (just like the movie itself) - in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    What was wrong with the Slumdog score then? What composer would have written a better score for that film? The score is such a gigantic reason for that film's success, I can't believe you can't see that.

It's VERY overrated. It's just a hip electronic score of very small duration. What's the fuss about it? The SONGS are what matters in the film's soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Actually, the composer of the main theme and the "tension theme" of the Who wants to be a Millionaire TV quiz show should be credited as co-composer, as his themes are prominently used through the movie (and with great effect, specially by the end of the film).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I felt Mausam & Escape and Latika's Theme especially played really, really well onscreen and enhanced the visuals' emotions a lot. The latter especially worked beautifully in the final scene of the movie (right before Jai Ho) and I found these two at least perfectly listenable even on CD. Now I agree the scores nominated alongside Slumdog were much superior (Defiance, Wall-E, CCBB) and I wouldn't have chosen it over them, but it still isn't a crappy score by any means, IMHO. Rahman is definitely much better at song-writing than score, but that doesn't mean he hasn't written some really fine score material (those I mentioned in previous posts).
  1. I enjoyed Couples Retreat.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    KevinSmith wrote
    I enjoyed Couples Retreat.

The score, I presume. Yeah, it's great fun!

Now this is bizarre but in a list of famous men, released by ModelCruz, we have Barack Obama at #1, Steve Jobs at #2 and guess who's in at #3? spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited
    A.R.Rahman Celebrates his 44th birthday.

birthday to Little Maestro A.R.Rahman

bhangra fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks fireworks
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    I'll tell it again. The man's an excellent song writer, he has the vibe, the rhythm and the melody. But his film score abilities are either very limited or very....odd. The whole thing is overblown and it'll pass, imo, just like with Gustavo Santaolalla.

Noone who has said this can have seen LAGAAN. And that isn't the composer's fault.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010
    Lagaan is better than Slumdog Millionaire. If Lagaan had won oscar, i would have been extremely happy, but i wasn't quite pleased with Slumdog Millionaire as best score of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't seen Lagaan, Michael, nor do i plan to, to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    You should see that movie. Very nice indeed!
  3. It's a very fun film. You'll enjoy cricket more too. I certainly did. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Exactly! i enjoyed that Cricket in Lagaan. That was quite entertaining than real cricket. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    You'll enjoy cricket more too.

Surprise, surprise. An Australian and an Indian -the two main suspects/culprits- ganging up to get the unsuspecting westerner to be taken in by the whole cricket hoax again.
    Give it up, guys. You're rumbled.
    We KNOW cricket was invented SOLELY to befuddle and confuse Europeans.
    Great gag.
    (We certainly got our own back with the European Union, though. biggrin )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cricket was invented by Europeans. (Insular ones, though.)

Very exciting game between South Africa and England currently drawing to a close (a few hours left). Will England hang on? No, probably not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Cricket was invented by Europeans. (Insular ones, though.)

WELCOME FELLOW EUROPEAN!
    So glad you finally have seen the light.

Now I only need to trap Steven in my Pan-European web.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have been, and ever shall be, a friend of you continentals.