• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017
    Demetris wrote
    Rahman has...fans? wink

Probably more than any other composer in the world.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017 edited
    Srsly wink People are weird wink I can only dig a couple or two of his albums in general max. Couples retreat has some nice cues on it and so does Mohamed: messenger of god score..the rest is definitely not for me. I much prefer Thomas Newman's westernized crossover to the Bolly-universe and style wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017
    Yes, I remember your criticism well. But have you ever heard anything of the stuff he did in India?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Srsly wink People are weird wink I can only dig a couple or two of his albums in general max. Couples retreat has some nice cues on it and so does Mohamed: messenger of god score..the rest is definitely not for me. I much prefer Thomas Newman's westernized crossover to the Bolly-universe and style wink

In that case you will like Viceroy's House!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017
    Yes, i did like that smile Viceroy's and the Mohamed album are my favorite Rahman scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Yes, I remember your criticism well. But have you ever heard anything of the stuff he did in India?

Some titles plz?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Some titles plz?

Anything he did with Mani Ratnam, like the "terrorist trilogy" (ROJA, BOMBAY and DIL SE), FIRE with Deepa Mehta (OK, also a crossover movie), TAAL, NAYAK: THE REAL HERO, LAGAAN, JODHAA AKBAR.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Demetris wrote
    Rahman has...fans? wink

On StreamingSoundtracks.com there are some. So yes they do exist :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course. He's basically a "God" in India and much of South Asia, so in terms of sheer numbers, I don't think there is any other composer in the world with more fans. Perhaps not the global exposure of a Williams or Zimmer, but in terms of numbers; oh yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017 edited
    Those from SST are all fans from the Western world. So even those exists :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Some titles plz?

Anything he did with Mani Ratnam, like the "terrorist trilogy" (ROJA, BOMBAY and DIL SE), FIRE with Deepa Mehta (OK, also a crossover movie), TAAL, NAYAK: THE REAL HERO, LAGAAN, JODHAA AKBAR.

thank you. are they bolly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017 edited
    Yes (except FIRE). My favourite is probably BOMBAY.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How's fire? can't really stand the bolly sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote
    How's fire? can't really stand the bolly sound.

Well, you shouldn't dismiss the "Bolly sound", as you call it. It's not really ONE sound, it's all different kinds of sounds, from lush romantic symphonics to various popular music trends. If you don't like the songs, that's fine, but the focus should be the instrumental film music. However, most Bollywood soundtracks only contain the songs. sad

FIRE is fine. Typical crossover sound (east meets west) -- not that dissimilar from VICEROY'S HOUSE, but more acoustic and electronic. But it's been ages since I heard it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    rahman also wrote parts of the music for The Lord Of The Rings musical. really good stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Ori … gs+musical
  2. A.R. Rahman + The Lord of the Rings = explode
    • CommentAuthorLars
    you already heard it?
  3. No, I'm just having a bit of a hard time reconciling those two concepts in my brain biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I can see it working perfectly, especially for the more ethnic elements. I wasn't aware that he was involved in that; looking forward to hearing it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    don't worry, the musical has no bollywood sound wink rahman wrote just 1 song on his own, the rest is in co-composition with Värttinä and/or Christopher Nightingale. the lyrics are by 2 other guys. the whole musical sounds really good. very nice melodies and instrumentations. rahman is involved in my favourite tracks except one. would have loved to see the musical, but at least i can enjoy it on cd.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2017
    Thor wrote
    Yes (except FIRE). My favourite is probably BOMBAY.

Have you ever heard Tian Di Ying Xiong? It's a personal favourite of mine. Magnificent in its blend of different cultures and some truly powerful taiko drumming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEKm8QzHB-o
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2019
    Pocket review of BEYOND THE CLOUDS:

http://celluloidtunes.no/beyond-the-clouds-a-r-rahman/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    I'm curious if people have checked out his fullbodied orchestral sci fi score for ENTHIRAN? It puts to the rest all the criticism that he can't write in that idiom.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEVgJkm … hman-Topic
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I listened to it a while back. Don't remember anything about it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    Sorry to hear it. But glad you checked it out.
    I am extremely serious.