• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008
    Guru

Product Details

* Audio CD
    * Number of Discs: 1
    * Label: Sony BMG
    * ASIN: B0012PO3ZU

Track Listings
    1. Barso re
    2. Tere bina
    3. Ek lo ek muft
    4. Mayya
    5. Ay hairathe
    6. Bazzi laga
    7. Jaage hain

CD COVER:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SS500_.jpg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    Cool! The Ratnam/Rahman collaboration always brings out great music!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Rang De Basanti and Lagaan are some of his best albums. Check 'em out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the recommendations DemonStar, i will check those out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008 edited
    Also, speaking of the Ratman/Rahman collaboration, I quite liked BOMBAY - both the film (except maybe the ending) and the music! I want to see the other two movies of his "terrorist" trilogy.

But I agree - LAGAAN probably stands as his magnum opus so far. I did an FSM thread on this once (and Bollywood in general), which can be viewed here:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=1
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008 edited
    Speaking of Lagaan, if you've seen the movie, did you notice the music during the deer chase near the beginning? That was one seriously cool piece of score, sadly unreleased. I have a DVD rip version of it (with some annoying SFX) which I can upload if you want. We hardly ever get score releases from Bollywood films sad Not surprising seeing that the majority of the people here want pop music (you must've heard of Dhoom that came out in 2004 and was a big hit here). Nobody cares about scores here, I'm probably one in a thousand here who's a film music lover!

If you want, check out some albums and score tracks by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy too. They're kick-ass! (though more synth-oriented than orchestral) Particularly the track "Victory" from Lakshya!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Guru is quite nice-- Jaage Hain, Tere Bina & Aye Hairathe being my faves. The anthemic Jaage Hain does have an interesting, pensive section in the middle but like most other ARR works I do wish it didn't have those abrupt peaks (crescendo?) so often.

There's a new movie of his (Jodhaa Akbar) for the director of Lagaan. There are two score cues in the album smile You might want to check that out too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    There's a new movie of his (Jodhaa Akbar) for the director of Lagaan. There are two score cues in the album smile You might want to check that out too.

There are no score cues on the album, those two are only instrumental versions of the songs. I watched the movie though and while it wasn't that great, the score was pretty nice, so fingers crossed for a score release smile

BTW on the album I only liked the tracks "Azeem-O-Shaan Shehenshah" and "Jashn-E-Bahaaraa". The rest were more or less average.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    There are no score cues on the album, those two are only instrumental versions of the songs.

Well, most of ARR's scores are primarily the instrumental versions of the songs so those two cues still count as scores, I reckon. The flute version of Jashn-E-Bahaara did appear in the movie. I'm not so sure about the Khwaja oboe piece. I thought that the latter was a missed opportunity. The oboe sounds muted/flat. If only it was orchestrated with a viola or solo violin, or a non-muted oboe, that would have been awesome. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    The oboe sounds muted/flat. If only it was orchestrated with a viola or solo violin, or a non-muted oboe, that would have been awesome. sad

Yeah, I felt that too. I wonder if the oboe was sampled. Maybe it was due to some error by the sound engineer.

Though the movie is banned here (at Lucknow) due to controversies as usual, I managed to get a sneak-peek at a cam version on the internet. Man, the battle and romance cues on the score sounded awesome to me! Pity it wasn't on the OST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008 edited
    There's a new movie of ARR that's getting a lot of hype in the movie festivals-
    Slumdog Millionaire directed by Danny Boyle [28 Days Later & Sunshine]
    http://www.cinematical.com/2008/08/31/t … llionaire/

There's no trailer yet but here's a short promo featuring original music by ARR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkBwZQpa6tk

Let's see what this brings...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    Interesting. Thanks for letting us know bp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    Finally a trailer for Slumdog Millionaire and it looks cool-
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809956055/trailer

This one has been getting a lot of great reviews. Can't wait for it to release. No idea if there will be a soundtrack release though.

Does anyone know what is the music towards the end (from 1:15 onwards) of the trailer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    No idea about the music, but it sounds good! I hope there's a score release.

His music for that film Jaane Tu... here has become a big hit, hehe. He did some good jazz-oriented stuff in the score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008 edited
    Turns out (thanks to a Youtube commenter) that the song in the last part of the trailer for Slumdog Millionaire is Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxMQaMqsig

DemonStar wrote
    His music for that film Jaane Tu... here has become a big hit, hehe. He did some good jazz-oriented stuff in the score too.

Right! I like some of the stuff in JTYJN. But somehow all his works post- Bose-The-Forgotten-Hero are ones that I don't return to at all. I find little to take home beyond the 3rd or 4th listen. Too commercialized? Too loud? Too massy? Don't know. Sometimes I wish he would just attempt being subtle for a change.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    Right! I like some of the stuff in JTYJN. But somehow all his works post- Bose-The-Forgotten-Hero are ones that I don't return to at all. I find little to take home beyond the 3rd or 4th listen. Too commercialized? Too loud? Too massy? Don't know. Sometimes I wish he would just attempt being subtle for a change.

Yeah, I felt that too. It didn't have that distinctive Rahman sound I was looking for. I hope he creates something as good as Lagaan again in the future! wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    A R Rahman's soundtrack to Slumdog Millionaire will allegedly be released in the last week of December, and is reportedly already out on iTunes. It seems to have some score tracks too. The tracklist is-

1. "O... Saya" performed by A. R. Rahman, M.I.A.
    2. "Riots" by A. R. Rahman
    3. "Mausam & Escape" by A. R. Rahman
    4. "Paper Planes"# performed by M.I.A.
    5. "Paper Planes (DFA Remix)" performed by M.I.A.
    6. "Ringa Ringa" by A. R. Rahman featuring Alka Yagnik, Ila Arun
    7. "Liquid Dance" by A. R. Rahman featuring Palakkad Sriram, Madhumitha
    8. "Latika's Theme" by A. R. Rahman featuring Suzanne D'Mello
    9. "Aaj Ki Raat"#2 performed by Sonu Nigam, Mahalakshmi Iyer, Alisha Chinai
    10. "Millionaire" by A. R. Rahman featuring Madhumitha
    11. "Gangsta Blues" by A. R. Rahman featuring BlaaZe, Tanvi Shah
    12. "Dreams on Fire" by A. R. Rahman featuring Suzanne D'Mello
    13. "Jai Ho" by A. R. Rahman featuring Sukhwinder Singh, Tanvi Shah, Mahalakshmi Iyer

#composed by M.I.A.
    #2composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, from the album Don - The Chase Begins Again
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Excellent! Anyone heard it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Here's the AMAZON PAGE

http://www.amazon.com/Slumdog-Millionai … amp;sr=8-1
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    Hmm...always wondered what "A.R." stand for in his name. Apparently that is "Allah Rakha Rahman". No wonder he changed that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkyo3v8XaKM

Shame it's too short.

I normally don't like Bollywood stuff, especially not with singing, but this song is pretty neat.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    Listened to the score sometime back (thanks to my school's music provider- Ruckus).
    It works great in the film-- edgy and pacy, a blend of electronics, Bollywood, techno, hip-hop...
    I like the atmospheric Latika's theme (wordless vocals), and Mausam & Escape (electronics meets frenetic sitars meets surging Bollywood violins).

Dreams on Fire, which is the song version of Latika's theme, doesn't quite work well largely due to the lyrics. But the last 1 min of this cue is pure Rahman-- a blissful bansuri taking the main theme.

Jai Ho, the song that plays over the end credits is fun. Inexplicably the last 40 seconds of this shifts to a gorgeous theme on synth.

You can listen to some of these on Imeem
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I listened to it yesterday. Quite electronic-based, but I quite liked the fusion of Indian instruments and acoustic guitar with them, especially in Mausam & Escape. And Latika's Theme was nice too. And Millionaire is a fun track with a great beat!

But I hope Rahman gets back to the orchestral stuff soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SO NOT like the stuff i like to listen to then; i'll try some clips from that when it gets out but it doesn't sound like something i'd go after. I am afraid Bollywood and Indian music aren't up there in my preferences' alley, 'except for Danna's gorgeous Water.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Check out his score to Bose: The Forgotten Hero, a great orchestral score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks, i will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    L. A. Film Critics Assoc. have announced their awards
    http://www.lafca.net/news.html

MUSIC/SCORE: A.R. Rahman, "Slumdog Millionaire"

Runner-up: Alexandre Desplat, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

While I'm happy for ARR, I just don't see how this won for a music score. There's very little score in the movie. There's quite a bit of vocals and songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    And Rahman is also among The Broadcast Film Critics Association's nominees:

BEST COMPOSER
    Alexandre Desplat - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Clint Eastwood - Changeling
    Danny Elfman - Milk
    Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight
    A.R. Rahman - Slumdog Millionaire

...together with Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009 edited
    keky wrote
    And Rahman is also among The Broadcast Film Critics Association's nominees:

BEST COMPOSER
    Alexandre Desplat - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Clint Eastwood - Changeling
    Danny Elfman - Milk
    Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight
    A.R. Rahman - Slumdog Millionaire

...together with Desplat.

And he won the Best Composer award! Whoah!

Desplat was my pick but congrats ARR! punk

ARR was also nominated for Best Song (Jai Ho) but that award was won by Bruce Springsteen for The Wrestler
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    Now eagerly waiting for the Golden Globes... lick