• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008 edited
    Come, children. Let’s gather around the piano, in front of the fire, and I shall play some of the most well known showtunes from Hollywood, along with some of the lesser known tunes from yesteryears. Let's get indulged in the familair, or yet unfamilair themes...

Alright, here are the rules: all samples are piano solo's, and they're not always the original pieces! Sometimes they contain piano transcriptions from famous themes, which means you cannot rely on orchestrations, a familair composer sound, or such! In other words: here lies a whole new challenge!

Hopefully I haven't made it too hard - there are pretty obvious ones as well and, to make it easier, they are once again sorted chronologically (though they're not chronological within the same year!). There are 20 clips + a bonus! Whoever gets the bonus, will be offered an additional 5 points! Mind you - the bonus-music is not directly from a filmscore, yet it's from a well known composer within our community.

Clips can all be downloaded in a .rar file over here:
    www.maintitles.net/music/gts/bob/2/piano.rar

NEWLY ADDED CLUES
    The average year is 1997. However, there are 4 years that are featured more than once and three composers that are featured twice!

Furthermore, of the 20 clips, only half of them (exactly 10) are presented the way they appear within the film. The other half of the clips are new transcriptions, done either by the original composer, a close collaborator of the composer, professional pianists or, in a few cases, transcripted and played by a very gifted (and surprisingly young) amateur. And no, that is not me you can hear playing. Even though I do play the piano, I'd whish I could play that well! biggrin

More specific clues for those who need 'em: yes, the Obvious Composer for Such A Theme is present! However, the score with which he is represented is a tricky one! And yes, the even more obvious filmscore is somewhere in there as well! I also made the game a bit 'round'; somewhere near the end you can hear the clip of a score that's heavily influenced by the composer that's featured early on in the game.

Good luck, and may the best man/woman/both win! wave

* Not actually my piano
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    Great idea for a game, and some great playing! I look forward to the clues!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Aargh, what is 13?! I know it...! I have it somewhere! crazy

Edit: I remember now. Where is that version of it from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Aargh, what is 13?! I know it...! I have it somewhere! crazy

Edit: I remember now. Where is that version of it from?

Ha! I firmly believe that clip 13 is somethiing which sounds very much like what I (and possibly you) think it is. I remember not that long ago, a new score came out and I said "This sounds just like XYZ's theme from ABC" - but of course I can remember XYZ's theme from ABC just fine, and I can't remember what it was that it sounded exactly like.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well the composer I think it's by isn't exactly the most ''original'' one out there, so I could be wrong. wink
    • CommentAuthorchriss_co
    are these recordings of you playing?

sadly i dont know the older stuff

do you have the sheet music to 13? the actual book that the sold didnt have that piece in it
    • CommentAuthorchriss_co
    lol.. now that i hear the more recent clips, i hear orchestrations so i guess its not you performing

tho i would like to know where you got the piano clips for the transcriptions cuz they are well performed
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Great game!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorchriss_co
    lol after doing a little searching for some of the piano transcriptions (ie #13 and 20 to name as examples) i found the answer to my own question about transcriptions

i wont name the site tho cuz i dont want to spoil the fun...

i'll wait for some clues to clips pre-#9 before i submit my guesses (i honestly have never heard of the first few clips (except #4))
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    My favorite instrument.

Peter punk
  1. Good game, indeed!!

I toyed with doing a piano-based game at one point so hopefully my "research" will put me in good stead!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I'm definately going to give it a try!Piano is my instrument since I was 8! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aaargh...mucho difficult. I need hints! smile But piano is my favourite instrument too.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Good idea for a game. I look forward to playing it!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Difficult for me as well. Only recognized about 5 of the clips.

Peter cow
  3. Is this stuff definitely chronological?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Is this stuff definitely chronological?

Jep, it is. Yet it isn't as strictly chronological as other games have been; the years are chronological, but when two scores are from the same year, I didn't look up in what month they were released smile

I'm glad everybody likes the theme so much - now let's hope y'all score big time! Bregt already showed it's do-able with a whopping 19 points in his first guess, while also Anthony and Falkirk have put in their 2 cents! Especially Falkirk might prove a strong contender for Bregt... so watch out, and keep the guesses coming, 'cause you'll never know! wink

Bregt - 19 points
    FalkirkBairn - 16 points
    Anthony - 6 points

Of course, there are 45 points to be gotten in total, so there's plenty of room for improvement! I also added new clues in the first post, so you're welcome to have another guess based on those! (though it's not recommended changing correct guesses).
  4. BobdH wrote
    Bregt - 19 points
    FalkirkBairn - 16 points
    Anthony - 6 points
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Corrected shame I'm still editing my posts over here... In the middle of the night, you don't think you got a lot of people watching wink
  5. BobdH wrote
    Corrected shame I'm still editing my posts over here... In the middle of the night, you don't think you got a lot of people watching wink

I'm certainly not hanging around now that I have posted my initial thoughts on Atonement over on Dario's thread! wink
    • CommentAuthorchriss_co
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2008
    quick question, 1 pt for correct composer and 1 pt for correct movie? no need for correct track right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    chriss_co wrote
    quick question, 1 pt for correct composer and 1 pt for correct movie? no need for correct track right?

Ah, yes, indeed! Two points to be had per sample; no need for naming the correct tracktitle, indeed. It seems that remains an impopular option wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    New players, new results! Franz-conrad not only comes in with a whopping amount of points, he also pointed out a glitch: there are no more and no less than 3 composers that are featured more than once! Fact fans: he also now goes by the name of Monkey's Uncle. wink

Thor, on the other hand, struggled a bit with the pieces, but as you can see, it's do-able wink I might add new clues later this week if this proves to be really hard, but then again, those new clues might lead to a perfect score from franz, so the question is: do you really want that? wink

franz_conrad: 29 points
    Bregt: 19 points
    FalkirkBairn: 16 points
    Thor: 8 points
    Anthony: 6 points
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    Again, are there any that I should be getting? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote

Defenitely!

If you don't get some of these, your reputation is screwed.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    Tell me which ones! tongue

P.S., I don't have much of a reputation to lose anyway. wink biggrin

But don't worry, I've got the three I should get. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    Anthony wrote

Defenitely!

If you don't get some of these, your reputation is screwed.

biggrin

I'd say 1, 2, 9, 13, 15, 17 and 20 are 'the easy ones' wink So, if you don't have any of those... I'd refer to Bregts quote biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ok, I'll have another listen when I get home. I can't even remember which ones I got before hand now anyway! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I'd say 4 is the easy one!?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I can't remember the numbers, but I think the easiest were near the end. wink Some of you can probably guess which ones I got. tongue