• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Pirates Suites

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow..I was really worried...

It ROCKS!!!!

Beckett Stuff is a little bit out of place for this adventure, but Im happy to see Zimmer back to his Pecemaker-Prokoviev Sound!!!!

Hoist the Colours, Just Good Business and Lord Of Singapore has the best Action music ever penned by Zimmer!!!

I was about to think you aren´t Jordi, only playing "The Empire Strikes Back" and Williams stuff....I was truly worried. What a relief.

Also Playing Pirates Suites (HZ)

punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh it is; in every aspect, when compared with the grandeur of FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN, MICHAEL COLLINS and his concert works for OTHELLO and FIRE, WATER, PAPER: a Vietnam Oratorio. Elliot pushed the envelope to far greater limits with the afore-mentioned, especially FINAL FANTASY : THE SPIRITS WITHIN; Richer instrumentation and huge plethora of playing techniques, way fuller and bolder sound, variety in the thematic material, extreme experimentation on the limits between tonic spectral and atonal, well-crafted dissonance and mind-blowing arrangements just to name few of the "extra" traits found in these work, again especially in FINAL FANTASY. This doesn't mean Interview with a Vampire is not enjoyable or "fun" or anything - and i quite like it too, but as a composition it's inferior.

n.p. BRUNO COULAIS - Himalaya

To date, this remains one of the most beautiful ethnic scores i've ever heard. It's just unbelievably brilliant!

I spoke from the viewpoint that it's a score written for a film and in that respect it does it's job perfectly.

I wasn't arguing with any of your other points.

Final Fantasy remains my favourite work by him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    NP: The Russia House - Jerry Goldsmith.

Goldsmithian goodness. It's been so long since I heard this one. Don't understand why this is. It's excellent!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    On the way to work today, Doc Martin by Colin Towns. A very pleasant way to start the day.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE NINTH GATE - Wojchiech Kilar

One of Kilar's best scores.

We need more Kilar! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Pirates Suites

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow..I was really worried...

It ROCKS!!!!

Beckett Stuff is a little bit out of place for this adventure, but Im happy to see Zimmer back to his Pecemaker-Prokoviev Sound!!!!

Hoist the Colours, Just Good Business and Lord Of Singapore has the best Action music ever penned by Zimmer!!!

I was about to think you aren´t Jordi, only playing "The Empire Strikes Back" and Williams stuff....I was truly worried. What a relief.

Also Playing Pirates Suites (HZ)

punk

So you guys would fully reccomend the box set? I was alittle hesitant becuase of already owning all three of the soundtracks.... is the fourth disc (and 5th) worth the price?

the Good the Bad and the Ugly -Morricone... so good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Played HOWARD SHORE - Before and After

Not one of my favorites from Shore. Suspenseful and tremendously looooooonnnngg in nature, it quickly causes me to loose interest. Although i suspect a lot of Golden Age fans will love this probably.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES HORNER - the new world

Oh it's been such a long time since i last played this! I really surprise me today smile But this is truly gorgeous, as a listening experience on CD. Beautiful, ethereal and soothing uplifting music. I was heavily disappointed by the horrendous movie experience (i know Michael won't like this but we've been over it in the past wink ) which also chopped badly an otherwise great score as such and turned it into a tremendously unfitting musical accompaniment for the....movie. Well i've been over that shock thankfully so i can enjoy the gorgeous score on CD again!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh it's been such a long time since i last played this! I really surprise me today smile But this is truly gorgeous, as a listening experience on CD. Beautiful, ethereal and soothing uplifting music. I was heavily disappointed by the horrendous movie experience (i know Michael won't like this but we've been over it in the past wink ) which also chopped badly an otherwise great score as such and turned it into a tremendously unfitting musical accompaniment for the....movie. Well i've been over that shock thankfully so i can enjoy the gorgeous score on CD again!

Your not alone kiss ....I didn't like the film either.

The score is lovely, and Jordi, if yer listening? Leave the tweety birds alone! wink
  1. P.S. I Love You
    John Powell

Clips on the unofficial Powell site.

While nice, played well, and just the right orchestration, the score lacks a good theme and solid pieces. It's just bland niceness that I couldn't stand to listen to again.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Played HOWARD SHORE - Before and After

Not one of my favorites from Shore. Suspenseful and tremendously looooooonnnngg in nature, it quickly causes me to loose interest. Although i suspect a lot of Golden Age fans will love this probably.

It's not one of my favourites either, Demetris. Not much seems to happen!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not much seems to happen!

Hehe right! Not much happens at-all! biggrin

n.p. TERENCE BLANCHARD - a tale of god's will a requiem for katrina

What a magnificently honest and truly touching score. Deeply impressed by each and every spin of this mature, serious and marvelous work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Titan A.E. (Graeme Revell)

It´s been years, so I didn´t remember so many good music in this score. True that there are several synthy moments that are annoying (so you have to skip ´em), but when the good moments come, is worthwhile ("Main Theme", "Start Running", "Showing the Way", etc) finishing with what has to be the best single cue of Revell´s career, "Creation".
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: Rambo III - Jerry Goldsmith

I've been ripping and encoding Goldsmith albums today and just had to listen to the end credits from this. The 'love theme' is stunningly gorgeous. Thankfully I've never seen the film; it would probably do irreparable damage to my opinion of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Jordi is back!!!!!!!!!!

NP: Pirates Suites!

Dammed!!! ZImmer in his Peacemaker mood agaiN! I love this masculine but orchestral sound from the Maestro!

What? Do you hated Zimmer in the last years because he refused compose action music? Then take this!!!!

Percusion, Horns, Strings, Woodwinds and Bells!!!!!!!!! Oh...But the best thing is Singapore with the asian instrumentation fighting with the traditional orchestra!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Jordi, there's a limited use of exclamation marks here.
    Once we're out of these '!', the forum shuts down for an unknown period.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    We need a :jordi: smiley. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Jordi, there's a limited use of exclamation marks here.
    Once we're out of these '!', the forum shuts down for an unknown period.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The score is lovely, and Jordi, if yer listening? Leave the tweety birds alone! wink

shocked

I loved the movie! And the score was (however lovely it is on CD and, as a standalone listen, by far one of Horners best of the last few years) totally unfitting! But, well, as this apparantly has been discussed already... I'll rest my case rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: The Da Vinci Code

Without any doubt Zimmer more dense, complex and coherent score ever.

"Poisoned Chalice" is one of Zimmer's highlights, and "rose of arimatea", even being simple, is very touching.

One of my all time favourites.

the quality of the music aside, now i listen this score and I remember when I was in Rome visiting the Vatican and a lot of museums listening this score. A unique experience!!!
  3. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I can understand not liking the film. But it's a special kind of person who finds more to like in James Horner than two of the best pieces by Mozart and Wagner respectively. A very special person. tongue I like Horner's album, but it just doesn't have the grandeur of the Wagner, or the strange feelings that come over me when I hear the Mozart. It's like putting Titanic music into Days of Heaven or Badlands.

NP: 'Song for Bob' from The Assassination of Jesse James (the cowboy dude who robbed trains and wagons and things) by the Coward Robert Ford (who has a rather eerie smile) using a revolver. James was shot in the back while adjusting a picture frame and... oh, that's right, the title does end at one point (Cave/Ellis)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PIU PIU PIuuu piu..... (the birds are gone) biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Could yo do the same with the dogs of "The Burbs"? Thanks.
    NP Battle Royale (Masamichi Amano)
    The first asian composer I discovered, and with one of his finest scores, along with its sequel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Nautilus wrote

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    NP: Titus - Elliot Goldenthal.

First listen. Ever. Got it on sale a couple of months back and haven't gotten around to it before now. And let me put this modestly: I like what I hear so far. In fact that's a rather big understatement, but let that do for now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh-oh-oh! So excited about you! Are you familiar with 300 as well? If then, you're in for big laughs!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh-oh-oh! So excited about you! Are you familiar with 300 as well? If then, you're in for big laughs!

I heard the comparison soundclips that were put up on SR after 300 came out, so I've heard small bits of Titus before. So yes - I know that Bates completely ripped off Titus and didn't credit Goldenthal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007 edited
    NP:Lord Becket Suite

No! this doesn't fit well in a pirates movie, But who cares! it's not original score from the movie either! Loud and noisy!

What kind of instrument makes this crystal sound in the 3:21? can be played live on this way?

NOW WE HAVE A MAMUT 95 MINUTS OF EPIC/ADVENTURE/FANTASY SCORE FROM MAESTRO ZIMMER!

thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Duma - John Debney

Something soothing before I go to bed.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

All the littele birdies? sad

Bad, bad Jordi angry