• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PIU PIU PIuuu piu..... (the birds are gone) biggrin

biggrin

Seen that grin before?

.....on Gomez slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Battlestar Galactica (Season 3) - Bear McCreary

I've listened to this album many times now. Just Brilliant!

McCreary is a godsend in the arena of television scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PIU PIU PIuuu piu..... (the birds are gone) biggrin

biggrin

Seen that grin before?

.....on Gomez slant

Hhehe
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007 edited
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - WATER HORSE: THE LEGEND OF THE DEEP

Such a relief to hear a score from JNH that it actually ISN'T big bad-ass cheap synth drone after all this time! Lots of Celtic influences with all kind of relative instruments and soft rhythmic percussion, acoustic guitar, subtly dreamy synth choirs and fragile strings, lots of woodwinds, wind sounds, touching atmosphere. Some very beautiful pieces and some truly impressive (like "Swimming" or the storming action of "Saving Crusoe" with its unashamed 20-second or so copy-paste of Zimmer's BATTLE from Gladiator biggrin or "The Net" ) are there too coupled with the necessary underscore and some (few, thankfully) irritatingly fluffy moments.

This is actually not bad, not bad at all, and rather pleasant i'd say, especially if you like this kind of Celtic musical influences all over your scores .

It will probably gain extra positive acceptance due to the lack of a proper good score by JNH in ages, i am sure and especially due to its very powerful last quarter on album. At the time and through my numbered few listens however, i am not convinced that it'll actually worth it as it's nothing new; but it is good. Time will tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Nice to hear Demetris, especially from you! My copy is due to arrive today - I'm on the edge of my seat!

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You are gonna love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    And it's here!!! Delivered this minute. Now, everyone leave me in peace. biggrin

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Waterhouse (Howard)

Celtic, Charming, Magical and powerfull.But Sometimes seens a disjointed couple of tracks compliled together.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Just played: The Water Horse: Legend Of The Deep - James Newton Howard

I love it! A very impressive and refreshing score from Howard.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Water Horse (James Newton Howard)

Not really impressed by this one. Could be a "The Best of" of any celtic style composer.
    I have to go back to 2004 to find a JNH score I like ("The Village", "Hidalgo), and bits of "Lady in the Water". Since then, just zZZzzzzZZ
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I had my first listen to 451 and my comment is this. I got goose bumps when I heard the beginning of the first track! I think that the percussion miking placement was different than the Naxos recordings. Looks like Golden Scores will have to have a Herrmann month too. Three new recordings to go over.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Hans Zimmer - Da Vinci Code

Amazing work by Hans, his best for a longer time after the big disappointments in year 2004 and 2005 (aside from Spanglish and in-film Batman Begins). And very good to write a master thesis about religious undertones in Renaissance poem about loss of a child...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

One of THE great golden era scores, the great vistas of ice truly inspired RVW, there is no score that comes anywhere near as close to portraying vast ice deserts.

The track Ice Floes has a very similar feel to Goldsmith's 'cloud music' in Star Trek The Motion Picture.

This one is easily in my top 20 of all time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Musketeer | David Arnold

I completely agree with Martijn on this one, and it's strange how I always enjoy it more than I think I will!?

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Musketeer | David Arnold

I completely agree with Martijn on this one, and it's strange how I always enjoy it more than I think I will!?

punk

I've heard it in the film? In fact the film was so crap I was taking a lot of notice of the music which I thought was not bad at all smile

I'll never be an Arnold fan but I've certainly warmed to him more over the last couple of years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's cause you know I'm always right, especially about Arnold. biggrin

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Just got home from a very tiring day at the studio where i was recording a Buzantine Choir for 4 hours and needed something to elevate me a bit and clear my head!

First pop to mind after a LONG time of not listening to it was:

JAMES DOOLEY - SOCOM 3: NAVY SEALS

LOUD AS F*CK!
    Who cares if this Zimmer all over? It's simply awesome! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    That's cause you know I'm always right, especially about Arnold. biggrin

wink

What? That his name is David Arnold? Yes you are always right. rolleyes

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Gridiron Gang (Trevor Rabin)

I found it quite derivative when I listened it for the first time when it was released, but now wow, I´m enjoying it as a kind of sequel to his "Remember the Titans" score. Not his best work, but sure it has grown on me and with this Rabin touch I like so much.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    Christodoulides wrote

n.P. DAVID ARNOLD - Godzilla complete, CD 2

The only way this should ever be played: LOUD | AS | HELL! punk

I couldn't agree more! You know, I always fear complete releases a bit, but with Godzilla, it was never a problem! I enjoyed every single minute of it and it never tired me over the course of its running time. Arnold said in the interview, he couldn't listen to it back to back...I think he should give his score another try . wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    SirCaledor wrote

I couldn't agree more! You know, I always fear complete releases a bit, but with Godzilla, it was never a problem! I enjoyed every single minute of it and it never tired me over the course of its running time.

Which is why, in my books, it's a 5 star efforts. You rarely hear complete (action) scores these day that are engaging from start to finish. Godzilla is and that's what makes it bloody perfect!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    SirCaledor wrote

I couldn't agree more! You know, I always fear complete releases a bit, but with Godzilla, it was never a problem! I enjoyed every single minute of it and it never tired me over the course of its running time.

Which is why, in my books, it's a 5 star efforts. You rarely hear complete (action) scores these day that are engaging from start to finish. Godzilla is and that's what makes it bloody perfect!!!

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more. Godzilla in its complete form is absolutely stunning!

N.p. JAMES HORNER - Balto

Apart the irritating mickey-mousing, this score has some truly wonderful, gorgeous themes. I quite love it but i program a lot of cues out in order to enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    SirCaledor wrote

-Erik-

Apart the irritating mickey-mousing, this score has some truly wonderful, gorgeous themes. I quite love it but i program a lot of cues out in order to enjoy it.

I think the whole thing is wonderful.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    SirCaledor wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Bigging up two of my favourite scores? You can almost be forgiven for dissing the Anderton cue... well, almost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    SirCaledor wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

smile smile smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

From the quiet first seconds (Mahler would label them "leise, wie ein Naturlaut" ; ) ) to the pulsating action music to the sweeping end titles, it's a wonderful listen. It's everything I love about JNH's music and more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SirCaledor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    SirCaledor wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

smile smile smile

Oh; but i love the cheesy song! Who doesn't? angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah. shame (Tell anyone and I'll kill you.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heh no worries. I think Horner's song in general are a very strange phenomenon. They're all undeniably cheesy but simultaneously addictive to cheesy levels! I love 'em all!

n.p. JOHN WILLIAMS - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ah, what the hell. I love Horner's songs. They're so cheesy, but I fall for them.

NP: The Golden Compass - first listen

Sounds very promising so far. I can see this is going to require a lot of time to really get to know.