• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Southall wrote
    Ah, what the hell. I love Horner's songs. They're so cheesy, but I fall for them.

NP: The Golden Compass - first listen

Sounds very promising so far. I can see this is going to require a lot of time to really get to know.

I am going to play it too once i'm finished with HARRY POTTER III. You see, i didn't like what i heard during my initial 5 or 6 listens (apart some isolated parts) and i stopped listening for the time being. However, the other day i read an excellent, very extended piece by one dear member about it and that sparked my interest again.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    I think Horner's song in general are a very strange phenomenon. They're all undeniably cheesy but simultaneously addictive to cheesy levels! I love 'em all!
    I agree. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they are just variations of Horner´s themes for the movie. If you like the score, you already like the song´s melody, and if you ignore the texts, they are certainly more than bearable. I like the songs for the first Zorro movie and Bicentennial Man a lot, but I´ve yet to find something more beautiful than Westenra´s voice in The New World.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    Nice to hear Demetris, especially from you! My copy is due to arrive today - I'm on the edge of my seat!

spin

Where's Lee all day? Drowned in a sea of JNH pleasure with Water Horse all day? dizzy
  2. Maybe he went trying to get one for himself. Time to tell him the truth, buddies! wink
  3. Southall wrote
    Ah, what the hell. I love Horner's songs. They're so cheesy, but I fall for them.

'Seasons keep changing, I know there's no end...'
    Don't you love those lyrics! ;D
    (I personally prefer the Morricone songs from spaghetti westerns - now that's real cheesiness!

NP: Baba's Birthday (Christopher Gordon)

Beautiful short score (10-12 minutes) for solo cello and strings
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Sounds very promising so far. I can see this is going to require a lot of time to really get to know.

I am going to play it too once i'm finished with HARRY POTTER III. You see, i didn't like what i heard during my initial 5 or 6 listens (apart some isolated parts) and i stopped listening for the time being. However, the other day i read an excellent, very extended piece by one dear member about it and that sparked my interest again.

Believe it or not, I've since picked up a couple of other details that have been incorporated into the version of the article going on cinemusic. The main revelation was that the playful theme in 'Lyra Roger and Billy' (it also appears about halfway through 'Mrs Coulter' for flute and mandolin, I think), is actually a sped-up version of the haunting melody from 'Letters from Bolvangar'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MY GOD! Let me guess, have you not been playing anything else lately? Apparently! wink Looking forward to the finished piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Heh no worries. I think Horner's song in general are a very strange phenomenon. They're all undeniably cheesy but simultaneously addictive to cheesy levels! I love 'em all!

n.p. JOHN WILLIAMS - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I like how dark and extremely dense, dissonant action passages towards the end of the afore-mentioned score remind* me of one of his modern masterpieces: WAR OF WORLDS.

* Remind as in not similar but reminiscent. WAR OF WORLDS is a much darker beast of a score with heavier loads of pure dissonance but you can always trace the distinct Williams writing for those kick-ass monster cues among different scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Lair (Complete) - Debney
    This is about the eight time I've listened to the score (first time hearing the complete game rip)...while at the first few listens I was entirely underwhelmed, it keeps growing on me to the point where it will probably end up in my top 10 scores of 2007. Its refreshing, especially in light of our recent discussions on Williams' and others descent into a-melodic action scoring.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe~ Harry Gregson Williams
    Listening to the music while I browse through the book for a Hundreth time since i bought it a few years ago...I'm in a very fairytale mood tonight...I will call it a day I think...Goodnight to all smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

In my opinion this score is worth to listen every second.

NP:Just Good Busines

Is it maybe an alternate cue for the beggining of "I dont think now is the best time"?

The mood is so ironic...one day ago I just wanted to play Williams and Zimmer really annoyed me. Now I really want this loud, noisy sound with this kind of Pop percusion!

What is this kind of "insect" sound in the first seconds of this track?

Long Life to Peacemaker!
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    MY GOD! Let me guess, have you not been playing anything else lately? Apparently! wink Looking forward to the finished piece.

I thought I'd better give it one more once over after not listening to it for a few days, and I spotted a handful of things that I hadn't noticed. Also saw some more footage from the film, which led me to change some notes.

NP: The Queen (Desplat)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

That particular piece sparked my interest as well... but no matter how well written and researched it was... I still think the score is an underachiever and could have been so much more!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. I loved the restrained twist on the genre that was The Golden Compass, though listened to it only once.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Why does everything have to be restrained now. Does no one have the balls to take a chance anymore???

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. This time, because the composer is European and they have "restraint" written all over them, hell, look even at Zimmer's smaller scores (Spanglish, As Good As It Gets).

Desplat wrote score in his own voice (and he wasn't shaped by Hollywood in any way, I think) and his voice means being one of the restraint masters. And his twist on the genre is really interesting...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Desplat has done big many times before and should have done DESPLAT big for this film.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

That particular piece sparked my interest as well... but no matter how well written and researched it was... I still think the score is an underachiever and could have been so much more!

-Erik-

Indeed. I played it another time tonight. It could have been SO much more indeed;
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    This time, because the composer is European and they have "restraint" written all over them, hell, look even at Zimmer's smaller scores (Spanglish, As Good As It Gets).

Desplat wrote score in his own voice (and he wasn't shaped by Hollywood in any way, I think) and his voice means being one of the restraint masters. And his twist on the genre is really interesting...

I don't think that's valid, at least in the strict meaning of the word. I didn't find his experimentations in the magnificent BIRTH or SYRIANA and - in fact, LUST, CAUTION restrained, at all.
  8. I mean restraint in emotional sense. I'd call Lust, Caution restrained myself...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lee Holdridge - MISTS OF AVALON

Such a sweepingly melodic and lush orchestral scores, absolutely gorgeous!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    NP: The Three Musketeers - Michael Kamen
    In my ongoing effort to listen to scores I own, but either haven't listen to yet, or haven't listened to for a long time, the dice fell out in Kamen's favour.

It's a lot better than I remember it, particularly the action cues. Don't like the song (who does?), and I'm not sure how well I think it works for Kamen when he tries to work the theme into the score - it somehow seems too pop-musical to work well when reworked in orchestral form. But there's some really good stuff here. Had almost forgotten I had this one in my collection.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Mogens wrote
    In my ongoing effort to listen to scores I own, but either haven't listen to yet, or haven't listened to for a long time, the dice fell out in Kamen's favour.

It's a lot better than I remember it, particularly the action cues. Don't like the song (who does?), and I'm not sure how well I think it works for Kamen when he tries to work the theme into the score - it somehow seems too pop-musical to work well when reworked in orchestral form. But there's some really good stuff here. Had almost forgotten I had this one in my collection.

I'm not a big fan of the song or the performers but the melody is superb and works wonderfully in the score... especially the finale piece. A wonderful effort from Kamen.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Erik Woods wrote
    Mogens wrote

I'm not a big fan of the song or the performers but the melody is superb and works wonderfully in the score... especially the finale piece. A wonderful effort from Kamen.

-Erik-

Yeah, you may be right Erik. I just finished listening to the score, and the theme from "All for Love" does work better in the last piece.. Maybe it's just because I can't get the actual song out of my head - it was a pretty big hit back in the day, and played in the radio ad nauseam.

Overall this is a really fine score, one I'd almost forgotten all about. Funny, since Kamen is one of the few composers who's music I've had a bit of difficulty getting into from time to time. But this is great.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    NP: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery - Cliff Eidelman

Heavenly! This is dramatic, epic, adventure music at its best. Incorporating "Come O Come, Emmanuel" into his score was a stroke of genius. Melds perfectly into his own original material. This side of Eidelman I miss. While it is good to see the man still working, another film in this genre would be a blessing for the film music community!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Couldn't agree more with you, Erik.

n.p. JOE HISAISHI - Hana - Bi

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Mogens wrote

-Erik-

I agree - I also think the song melody works well in the score. But, and this should come as a surprise to nobody who read my confessional above about Horner songs - I also like the song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP River Queen (Karl Jenkins)

shocked (thanks Demetris for the recommendation wink )

Another discovery for me this 2007 (after Philippe Rombi). Why does Jenkins has done only one film score?!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you listened to the ARMED MAN : A MASS FOR PIECE and REQUIEM yet? This man's music is outstanding;
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    They are coming next. I´m anxious to hear those two you mention. But if "River Queen" is a "sample" of his music, then I´m gonna love "Armed Man" and "Requiem".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you