• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Alien - Jerry Goldsmith

A score that deserves the label "a classic".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Mogens wrote
    NP: The Three Musketeers - Michael Kamen
    In my ongoing effort to listen to scores I own, but either haven't listen to yet, or haven't listened to for a long time, the dice fell out in Kamen's favour.

It's a lot better than I remember it, particularly the action cues. Don't like the song (who does?), and I'm not sure how well I think it works for Kamen when he tries to work the theme into the score - it somehow seems too pop-musical to work well when reworked in orchestral form. But there's some really good stuff here. Had almost forgotten I had this one in my collection.

I'm not a big fan of the song or the performers but the melody is superb and works wonderfully in the score... especially the finale piece. A wonderful effort from Kamen.

-Erik-

I agree - I also think the song melody works well in the score. But, and this should come as a surprise to nobody who read my confessional above about Horner songs - I also like the song.

Actually, I don't mind Kamen songs. I enjoy most of them. I guess that Rod Stewart was the one that threw me off the "All For One" tune. Anyway, my favorite Kamen song to this day is "It's Probably Me" from Lethal Weapon 3. I also have a soft spot for "You're The One" from Circle of Friends.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap; you are, especially "Requiem".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Alien - Jerry Goldsmith

And masterpiece, brilliant, perfection, 5 stars...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I may be the only one, but I´ve never got into this score as a listening experience (no discussion in the film).
    Probably the thing is I´ve never been able to enjoy horror scores outside its context. It´s a genre so specific in terms of music that I don´t know "how" to listen this kind of music outside the context, if you know what I mean. And it´s strange, ´cause horror is one of my favourite genre and the one which I grow up with.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap; you are, especially "Requiem".

Great! Looking forward my first listen then.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Desplat has done big many times before and should have done DESPLAT big for this film.

-Erik-

Indeed. I was a bit surprised on seeing the trailer that the score was not so large as HOSTAGE (which borders on parodic at times with the apocalyptic stuff). On listening to the full album, I came to the conclusion that the film really doesn't have that much in the way of action scenes at all.

I don't know that it's that restrained, incidently. BIRTH and SYRIANA are what you would call restrained in their big emotional moments. This one tends to try and go for more emotional expression in a traditional vein. (All the themes are fairly direct in what they're saying about the characters, and when they're saying it.) Every scene I've seen of the film has the scored mixed in fairly well, and the musical is pretty active in relation to the action - the music is definitely sticking its neck out to get noticed. I think GC is compromised by its engineering though, and by what sounds like a film that doesn't rest on one idea long enough for the score develop in individual scenes. (The lack of a good ending is a minus too.)

Rather than 'restrained', I'd say GOLDEN COMPASS is more 'atmospheric' and ominous. And those scores tend not to be hits with film score afficianados on the whole, regardless of how well written they are. Had there been more material like his main theme for MAGORIUM, or had he developed his themes in concert suites, I think it would have more power as a listening experience. (Still, you obviously liked ZODIAC and I KNOW WHO KILLED ME, which are even murkier than this one in emotional terms, so who knows what's going on.)

Overall, I admire GC as a work, but LUST, CAUTION is my favourite Desplat score by some measure for this year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

And masterpiece, brilliant, perfection, 5 stars...

-Erik-

Shame Ridley Scott didn't feel the same way! rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote
    NP: The Three Musketeers - Michael Kamen
    In my ongoing effort to listen to scores I own, but either haven't listen to yet, or haven't listened to for a long time, the dice fell out in Kamen's favour.

It's a lot better than I remember it, particularly the action cues. Don't like the song (who does?), and I'm not sure how well I think it works for Kamen when he tries to work the theme into the score - it somehow seems too pop-musical to work well when reworked in orchestral form. But there's some really good stuff here. Had almost forgotten I had this one in my collection.

Michel Legrand's Three Musketeers score is easily the best by far and probably the one that not many are familiar with?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Ah, what the hell. I love Horner's songs. They're so cheesy, but I fall for them.

NP: The Golden Compass - first listen

Sounds very promising so far. I can see this is going to require a lot of time to really get to know.

Windsong from Mighty Joe Young is the ONLY one I truly love.....the rest are bad, now there's cheesy GOOD....lots of cheesy good, and there are cheesy BAD! Unfortunately all the rest of Horner's songs are cheesy BAD! vomit

Good to finally see you here James wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHAN SODERQVIST - After the wedding

One of those composers that won't ever gain too much attention but still, their music is more heartfelt, intimate and touching that many others working out there today. "After the wedding" is a soothingly somber mix of subtle electronics and very touching strings in its majority and having connected it with the excellent movie experience, it's more than simply a good listen for me.
  3. I didn't really like AFTER THE WEDDING that much. Perhaps it felt a bit too much like some Mychael Danna - not sure which one?

NP: REMAINS OF THE DAY (Robbins)

Robbins is a composer whose not spoken of as much as he might be. Unfortunate, since his scores, while introspective, are often beautiful and elegant. The way he uses minimalism is similar to Desplat, actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ah, what the hell. I love Horner's songs. They're so cheesy, but I fall for them.

Sounds very promising so far. I can see this is going to require a lot of time to really get to know.

Windsong from Mighty Joe Young is the ONLY one I truly love.....the rest are bad, now there's cheesy GOOD....lots of cheesy good, and there are cheesy BAD! Unfortunately all the rest of Horner's songs are cheesy BAD! vomit

Come on! Where's the love for "Somewhere Out There." Especially sung by the mouse himself. COME ON!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    You've watched the movie too, i guess? As for the Mychael Danna, i'd say 8mm.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Come on! Where's the love for "Somewhere Out There." Especially sung by the mouse himself. COME ON!!!

-Erik-

Very BAD! vomit

Even worse than "that" Titanic song. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Very BAD! vomit

You have no heart!!! None whatsoever! You are a cold, cold man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCP40PpW0k

I just watched it again and had tears in my eyes. What a sweet, sweet innocent little song!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

I just watched it again and had tears in my eyes. What a sweet, sweet innocent little song!

-Erik-

omg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Very BAD! vomit

You have no heart!!! None whatsoever! You are a cold, cold man!

-Erik-

OOoooooohhhh your a harsh man Erik.

I wept when Bambi's mom got killed?

I wept when Daddy Darth died in ROTJ?

I wept when the Alien was blasted out of the airlock in Alien?
    I errrrrr....

That's enough I think wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

omg

Is that a good omg or a bad omg

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jaw dropping! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bad; i couldn't stop giggling. Oh, i know biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

omg

Oh man, it's been such a long time since I've seen that movie and heard the score. At one time I loved it, but I think I have echo Demetris' sentiments on this one. I too couldn't stop laughing. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Like Minds (Giacco)

I'm really digging this score. I particularly like "Main Titles", with the pizzicato strings and the strange cello solos. The darker, more atmospheric stuff (like "Stay Away From Me" and "The New Boy") remind me of Zimmer's The Ring, only much better, more focused structurally and hardly any emphasis on synths. Another gem from MovieScore Media.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Nearly asleep after listening to Reservation Road (Mark Isham).

Now onto In the Valley of Elah (Mark Isham).

Did I even change discs? confused shocked
  4. Those two scores are remarkably similar from what I've heard of them. I wasn't inspired to purchase either after hearing a few tracks from each. Isham's got the Thomas Newman-drama bug.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm not a big fan of the song or the performers but the melody is superb and works wonderfully in the score... especially the finale piece. A wonderful effort from Kamen.

Signed. Though I love the song, too. Ridiculous as it is, the idea to get those three artists together was just fine, and the melody works wonderfully in the actual score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    ME! ME! PICK ME!!!! LOVE that song. ESPECIALLY sung by the mouse(s)... ehm mice. shame

And that "Reunion" track must be one of the most beautifully composed reunions ever.

Come on, top that. Give me a better Reunion theme...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ME! ME! PICK ME!!!! LOVE that song. ESPECIALLY sung by the mouse(s)... ehm mice. shame

And that "Reunion" track must be one of the most beautifully composed reunions ever.

Easy

John Williams Jane Eyre, last track. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Easy

John Williams Jane Eyre, last track. cool

A.I.! That's the best Reunion theme. (IHMO. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Steven wrote
    b]A.I.[/b]! That's the best Reunion theme. (IHMO. wink)

Oh f***!!! That´s a very strong contestant!!!
    -----
    Secretary of Reunions