• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    "Out of Africa' is playing at moment...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    Nice to hear Demetris, especially from you! My copy is due to arrive today - I'm on the edge of my seat!

spin

Where's Lee all day? Drowned in a sea of JNH pleasure with Water Horse all day? dizzy

Haha! You betcha.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    NP:AVP-REQUIEM

There's a limit in my ears for so many and so agressive action music, and this score really cross the line.

Anyway, the action music is good, the most atmospheric side is effective and the previous scores homenages are great!

Good, but I need a couple more of coffes to enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Now this sounds interesting indeed. biggrin
    -----
    Secretary of government-sponsored Requiems (or Requiemmae?!? dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP AVP:R - Brian Tyler

Huge, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE!

No restraint here... which is what I liked about the first three Alien scores and Predator. But I guess this is just one big action scene after another. No need for a good script... just throw the Aliens and Predator on screen and let them fight it out.

What I do like is that finally a composer manages to keep the spirit of the two film franchises alive by hinting at themes and orchestrations from the 6 of the previous scores (Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection, Predator and Predator 2) yet not completely ripping them off... while at the same time using his own sound to round everything off. A wonderful homage to the great scores that came before AVP2 and finally an excellent score from a struggling composer! Well done!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

No restraint here... which is what I liked about the first three Alien scores and Predator. But I guess this is just one big action scene after another. No need for a good script... just throw the Aliens and Predator on screen and let them fight it out.

What I do like is that finally a composer manages to keep the spirit of the two film franchises alive by hinting at themes and orchestrations from the 5 of the previous scores (Alien, Aliens, Aline3, Predator and Predator 2) yet not completely ripping them off... while at the same time using his own sound to round everything off. A wonderful homage to the great scores that came before AVP2 and finally an excellent score from a struggling composer! Well done!

-Erik-

Agree.

Track 10 with Goldsmith wind motif, and Horner's ankluns has stold my heart!

Anyway I think Frizzell's theme is near to be ripped here tongue
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ah, what the hell. I love Horner's songs. They're so cheesy, but I fall for them.

NP: The Golden Compass - first listen

Sounds very promising so far. I can see this is going to require a lot of time to really get to know.

Windsong from Mighty Joe Young is the ONLY one I truly love.....the rest are bad, now there's cheesy GOOD....lots of cheesy good, and there are cheesy BAD! Unfortunately all the rest of Horner's songs are cheesy BAD! vomit

Good to finally see you here James wave

Come on! Where's the love for "Somewhere Out There." Especially sung by the mouse himself. COME ON!!!

-Erik-

Very BAD! vomit

Even worse than "that" Titanic song. slant

You have no heart!!! None whatsoever! You are a cold, cold man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCP40PpW0k

I just watched it again and had tears in my eyes. What a sweet, sweet innocent little song!

-Erik-

I think it's really cute!

Far better than the Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram version - which, unfortunately, I have to admit, I bought as a 12" single waaaay back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRaieyN77UI
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    What I do like is that finally a composer manages to keep the spirit of the two film franchises alive by hinting at themes and orchestrations from the 6 of the previous scores (Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection, Predator and Predator 2) yet not completely ripping them off... while at the same time using his own sound to round everything off...

Sounds like a bit of balancing act!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik, what did you think of Track 4? I nearly laughed my lungs out when I heard the sound bit. I could almost hear the warp drive activated... smile
    -----
    Secretary of All Things Trek
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik, what did you think of Track 4? I nearly laughed my lungs out when I heard the sound bit. I could almost hear the warp drive activated... smile
    -----

Oh yes... Tyler's love for Horner's Star Trek II pops up yet again!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. For a second, it almost sounds like that intro to that famous signature sequence in Star Trek VI, but then it becomes Trek II, indeed. What a ride. I love it.
    -----
    Secretary of... ah, well, enough for today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    -----

Oh yes... Tyler's love for Horner's Star Trek II pops up yet again!

-Erik-

Absolutly. In fact Star trek II or Aliens (Choose what you want) can be heard a lot in Timeline, and in AVP2.

NP:Pirates Suites

Im interested in read opinions about non Zimmer fans about this one.

What is this kind of "chains "percussion? and what is this kind of barroque harp?
  4. I´ve never heard Timeline (neither the one nor the other). It seems it is about Time... muhahar rolleyes
  5. Nautilus wrote

I doubt there will be loads of non-Zimmer-fans buying that treasure chest just for a CD they would probably not like. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I doubt there will be loads of non-Zimmer-fans buying that treasure chest just for a CD they would probably not like. wink

touché crazy

Both timlines scores are worth to listen. Specilly Goldsmith's one.

AVP2....It's good, very good...but 77 minuts is too much. I choose Aliens or Resurrection.
  6. Nautilus wrote
    Both timlines scores are worth to listen. Specilly Goldsmith's one.

I´ll keep that in mind. Thanks.
  7. Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I think Frizzell's theme is near to be ripped here tongue

To say nothing of that pretty literal rip from I, ROBOT in 'Decimation Proclamation' (the only track I've heard - go to 6mins). Is this what we've come to? Action music that's basically a packaging of greatest aggressive rhythmic techniques from other recent films? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Again?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Nautilus wrote

AVP2....It's good, very good...but 77 minuts is too much.

No score of such a kind as AVP2 is every too much!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Again?

I don't think Erik saw the earlier post. (And I want the whole world to know who noticed it first. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Peter Pan

Some gorgeous themes, some good action passages, some very generic moments too but it all keeps the balance i guess. Overall it is a very effective adventure score, albeit unoriginal. I guess the same can be said about his TREASURE PLANET to which i was listening this morning but i don't seem to prefer over PETER PAN though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - Hans Zimmer
    I swear the day won't be far that I will become a Zimmer apologist. At least the man weaves hummable tunes all through his scores! Now THAT's good listenin'!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

What I do like is that finally a composer manages to keep the spirit of the two film franchises alive by hinting at themes and orchestrations from the 6 of the previous scores (Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection, Predator and Predator 2) yet not completely ripping them off... while at the same time using his own sound to round everything off. A wonderful homage to the great scores that came before AVP2 and finally an excellent score from a struggling composer! Well done!

-Erik-

Any sound clips? I would've used the ones provided at the other (and now defunct) forum, but I never got around to listening to them.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This says it all, as to why Tyler did a great job in AVP2!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

AVP2....It's good, very good...but 77 minuts is too much.

No score of such a kind as AVP2 is every too much!

Im glad you are so happy, seriously, but you tend to be too exited for some composers. You are more a fan boy than a objective listener.

But..ey! Long life to Fan boys!!! they are really the people who love the music!

Said that...it's a good and dissonant score, terrific action music and a effective tone, but...We don't have to overrate this score. We have heard this kind of things before and we will have this a lot of times after.

And..the main theme is frizzel's resurrections theme!

NP:AVP2 (tyler)

Enjoying it very.But Again Tyler is only an action composer..What about an strongest theme to put all this stuff together?? What about a little bit more of structure???
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Island of Lost Souls - Jane Antonia Cornish

When I think about 2007's best scores... errr... cough cough... I usually think about this score first. Does this mean I think this is the best score of 2007. It could be.

Cornish incorporates the classic symphonic sound that I love and have missed in the past few years. This is an incredible work!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Erik Woods wrote

When I think about 2007's best scores... errr... cough cough... I usually think about this score first. Does this mean I think this is the best score of 2007. It could be.

Cornish incorporates the classic symphonic sound that I love and have missed in the past few years. This is an incredible work!!!

-Erik-

I've heard a few people talk about this, but I've tried to find it and haven't had any luck. Is it an international release that isn't readily available in the US?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I've heard a few people talk about this, but I've tried to find it and haven't had any luck. Is it an international release that isn't readily available in the US?

Milan France!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I've ordered my airline ticket! biggrin

Seriously though, is there someplace you know of online that's selling it? I've only tried Amazon, BN and buysoundtrax, but I honestly don't know where to look for obscure soundtracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End - Hans Zimmer
    I swear the day won't be far that I will become a Zimmer apologist. At least the man weaves hummable tunes all through his scores! Now THAT's good listenin'!

Yes he can write hummable tunes and IMO that's a talent.....it's just that, well, for me at least, I just don't LIKE a lot of what he writes?!

I'm 50/50 on Zimmer....still a lot more than some other composers I can name.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt