• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP AVP:R - Brian Tyler

Huge, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE!

-Erik-

I think Frizzell's theme is near to be ripped here tongue

To say nothing of that pretty literal rip from I, ROBOT in 'Decimation Proclamation' (the only track I've heard - go to 6mins). Is this what we've come to? Action music that's basically a packaging of greatest aggressive rhythmic techniques from other recent films? wink

Looking forward to YOUR view on AVPR Michael!? beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Erik Woods wrote
    David wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Island of Lost Souls - Jane Antonia Cornish

When I think about 2007's best scores... errr... cough cough... I usually think about this score first. Does this mean I think this is the best score of 2007. It could be.

Cornish incorporates the classic symphonic sound that I love and have missed in the past few years. This is an incredible work!!!

-Erik-

I've heard a few people talk about this, but I've tried to find it and haven't had any luck. Is it an international release that isn't readily available in the US?

Milan France!

-Erik-

Oh, you meant Milan Records. I thought you were saying it was available in Milan, Italy or France. I feel foolish shame

I found it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David wrote
    I've ordered my airline ticket! biggrin

Seriously though, is there someplace you know of online that's selling it? I've only tried Amazon, BN and buysoundtrax, but I honestly don't know where to look for obscure soundtracks.

http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results. … de=1875712

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COOL HAND LUKE - Lalo Schifrin

A favourite! cool

G'nighty sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: SEA WOLF: Erich Wolfgang Korngold.

This is going to be a difficult one to evaluate, at least for me. The quality of the material is quite archival sounding but its complete. confused
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I love all things KORNGOLD.
    But I found The Sea Wolf took a few listens to fully embrace it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007 edited
    NP:At world's End.

Ok, theres action music...But also contains some stuff that Zimmer doesn't compose very often : Fantasy music.

In "At wit's end" or "I see Dead people in Boats" spend time creating atmosphere and a sense of magic.

What about this etheral chorus for the at world's Edge? or this variation Davey Jones theme sung for the souls he killed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi,

Sometimes you just open your mouth and let things come out sooooo easily. wink I know you'd probably meant it in a softer alternation but being excited about certain works and having passion in your life doesn't make you a "fanboy" or anything, as far as i am concerned. I am very cautious and critical as to what music i am listening to, especially when i play it for the first time, and there are a handful of scores i dont' like, coming by composers i generally tend to like; e.g. like Tyler (can't listen to a lot of his older scores for instance), Giacchino (not particularly fond of some of his older stuff when he was too Williams-y plus not a great fan of ALIAS either), Desplat (can't bear THE QUEEN, not excited about THE GOLDEN COMPASS, at all) and several other examples in the same line. I don't think that i have to prove to you or anyone else the contrary, i know what i listen to and what i like and i try to present a work as objectively as possible in order for the one reading to understand what's going on and decide for themselves whether they want it or not.

Wherever something like AVP2 comes along that has BALLS, it is actually very well-worked and well-presented and most importantly it is a work that combines and pays respect to the older qualities of film music again like AVP2, without directly, cheaply copying them, a work that is energetic and renews my passion of film music, then i won't be taking the cold route of respectabilities just to remain "neutral" and apathetic in risk of exposing my.....fanboyism? I know you'd prefer to listen to Zimmer and bang your head to his rhythms all day and night long instead but that doesn't change some facts about some works. wink

I am primarily in for my great passion for film music. I make no single penny out of any of all this and the sole reason that keeps me going is my above-mentioned love for the said genre and music in general. When I’ll feel – even for the slightest moment, that this is gone, I’ll simply walk.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    That's the typical Fanboy Reaction, Denie what is so obvious wink

I can share your enthusiasm about this score in some part. The action stuff is amazing as hell, and the little homenages (is that the word? ) stole my heart. But then I think.... If you remove this little homenages what do you have??? Another "War", another " Fast and the furious" , another " Darkness Falls"....Where is the theme or the identity that makes this score diferent to so many other tyler scores?

And what about structure or climax? The last tracks could be from the earlier scenes, the guitar is introduced too late....tyler scores very rarely tells me a good story! And no, it's not because the movie.

Anyway...Did you notice how similar is the main theme with Young's The grudge 2 main theme?
  1. Hmmm... siding with Jordi is feeling that grows more familiar by the day. cool

NP: THE GOLDEN COMPASS (Desplat)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hmmm... siding with Jordi is feeling that grows more familiar by the day. cool

NP: THE GOLDEN COMPASS (Desplat)

Yeah, you've become as obessive as him as well. biggrin
    You pointed out I, Robot and indeed, it was that that I couldn't figure out!

LEGEND OF ZORRO | james horner

Some real good action music, with themes!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Btw, just talked about AVPR with Bob.
    Isn't that one theme just like the trailer tune 'Gothic Power' from XRay Dog, that cresendo which opens the score?
    Kazoo
  2. It is. But the orchestration sounds a bit different. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    LEGEND OF ZORRO | james horner

Some real good action music, with themes!

Definitely my kind of score! Horner in optima forma!
    In fact, if I weren't working (ah...yes...hm. shame ) Id be putting on that score RIGHT NOW! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Alien Versus Predator _Requiem
    It's cool, Really. Im enjoying a lot. Even if it sounds like one track in reapeat for 77 minuts...

BUt I think is the kind of score that in 3 or 4 days I will not listen anymore.

Any sense of resolution, any coherent theme, any important moment....Just visceral and unbalanced action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Might I just comment, Jordi, that over time your English has become notably better?
    No sarcasm, no irony.
    Just something I noticed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Hellboy (Marco Beltrami)

I still don´t believe that Beltrami won´t be doing the second part. He won´t have the chance to develop the great themes he composed for the first one. Shame on who decided to hire Elfman (who?) to write the sequel.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i am disappointed too, heavily. But i am interested to hear what will Elfman do with the sequel. If he goes the brooding dark but not random and sparse as always but tightly rhythmic and firm, then it might be very good eventually!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Well, time will tell, maybe I´ll have to shut up once we can hear it. But I highly doubt Elfman will get closer to what Beltrami did with "Hellboy". And then there´s the typical problem with sequel scores not composed by the original composer: will Elfman use Beltrami´s themes? or won´t he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Devil's Advocate - James Newton Howard

Evidently not a JNH score I pay enough attention to.

cool
  3. Brian Tyler - AVP: Requiem

Far from amazed. Sorry, I don't really know what is the fuzz about Tyler. I wouldn't say the Goldsmith/Horner similarities are "subtle homages". "Taking Sides" doesn't refer Horner's score, it takes a page right from pieces like "Med. Lab" or other underscore pieces. "Coprocloakia's" use of the two-note Horner theme is pretty intelligent though.

Tyler does nothing new for the genre. Cool he isn't restrained, because a gory horror-action movie doesn't really call for any restraint, like THe Ring or other psychological horrors do. But except some a bit more melodic action tracks (taking a page right out of Tyler's own action scores and particularly his Darkness Falls score) he uses all the typical orchestral effects that we accustom with horrors, brass outbursts, orchestra hits, string glissandi, lots and lots of dissonance. In other words another typical horror score. Aggressive, but that doesn't mean much. I'd love to see what would Giacchino do with such stuff. Tyler did his usual and probably his best, which, sadly, I'd call generic.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: Devil's Advocate - James Newton Howard

Evidently not a JNH score I pay enough attention to.

cool

That's my favorite JNH score, ever; basically for personal reasons and also because it was my first ever contact with JNH and one of my initials with film music in general but It's absolutely mind-blowing, the choir work and the dark tone overall is a clear winner! But only through the genius movie it accompanies it can be appreciated in full, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP AI (John Williams)

I can´t believe I don´t play more often the score of my favourite Spielberg movie ever.
  4. AI is amazing stuff. One of my favorite Williams works ever and, post-Schindler's List - I think the best one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    And then there´s the typical problem with sequel scores not composed by the original composer: will Elfman use Beltrami´s themes? or won´t he?

That's here too, indeed. But i highly doubt he will use them eventually, i am positive he'll go for an 'all new, Elfman' kind of approach eventually.
  5. Elfman is very good at rhythm, so I am confident about it. Even in The Kingdom he is better in that matter than half of the fashionable composers of today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    AI is amazing stuff. One of my favorite Williams works ever and, post-Schindler's List - I think the best one.

Couldn't agree more. I find that the main theme is one of the best and most touching he has ever written, and the choir work towards the end when the aliens discover the shuttle buried in the ice (can't remember exactly now, was it "The Search For The Blue Fairy", "Rouge city" Somewhere around that point) is singularly brilliant.!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    AI is amazing stuff. One of my favorite Williams works ever and, post-Schindler's List - I think the best one.

Agree!

Christodoulides wrote
    i am positive he'll go for an 'all new, Elfman' kind of approach eventually.

That should be the logical approach indeed. ´Cause if he keep using Beltrami´s themes, then what would be the point changing the composer? (as far as I know there was no problem between Del Toro and Beltrami in Hellboy).

A pity then we won´t hear those big Beltrami´s themes again. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    the choir work towards the end when the aliens discover the shuttle buried in the ice (can't remember exactly now, was it "The Search For The Blue Fairy", "Rouge city" Somewhere around that point) is singularly brilliant.!

Sure, a very touching moment of the film blessed with a great theme by Williams.
  6. Probably Search - I'd dare to say that theme is better than Monica's Theme (also one of his very best).