• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Wow... I've tried A.I. so many times now, and it does absolutely nothing for me.
    Well, not absolutely nothing, there's a couple of good moments in there, and I'd probably still put one or two tracks on any "favourite John" compilation playlist, but overall it's too much "new John" for me. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - AVP: Requiem

Far from amazed. Sorry, I don't really know what is the fuzz about Tyler. I wouldn't say the Goldsmith/Horner similarities are "subtle homages". "Taking Sides" doesn't refer Horner's score, it takes a page right from pieces like "Med. Lab" or other underscore pieces. "Coprocloakia's" use of the two-note Horner theme is pretty intelligent though.

Yeap, and a copy and paste exactly from Alien resurrection theme.

Anyway, this similarities are not even enough to keep the nostalgic feeling wich could save this score.

NP:Empire Strikes Back

My original cd.

EVERY NOTE IS ABSOLUTLY PERFECT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Wow... I've tried A.I. so many times now, and it does absolutely nothing for me.
    Well, not absolutely nothing, there's a couple of good moments in there, and I'd probably still put one or two tracks on any "favourite John" compilation playlist, but overall it's too much "new John" for me. sad

Have you watched the movie?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    the choir work towards the end when the aliens discover the shuttle buried in the ice (can't remember exactly now, was it "The Search For The Blue Fairy", "Rouge city" Somewhere around that point) is singularly brilliant.!

Sure, a very touching moment of the film blessed with a great theme by Williams.

That'd be Stored Memories (and Monica's Theme), and also my favorite moment of the film and the score! Absolutely beautiful and it reminds me quite a bit of Edward H. Plumbs score for Bambi (don't ask confused )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

But... but... that last track is SO beautiful??? Surely that one deserves a place on your favourites list?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

Have you watched the movie?

Yeah. It was OK (though, like everyone else, I hated the seemingly tagged-on ending.
    Can't remember the music standing out in the film either (except for two/three scenes).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Phantom Menace

What is wrong with it???

It's by far the best score of the new trilogy.With the feeling of the original trilogy, and very inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wrong? Nothing, I think. It's fine, but I like Revenge Of The Sith better. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Phantom Menace is my second favourite Star Wars score. It was one of the first John Williams scores I truly loved, perhaps the first. It's always remained a pretty special score to me! (My Dad bought it for me at Christmas, which is something I'll always remember.)

Revenge Of The Sith is the most powerful of the three though, that's for sure. But I am surprised you prefer the latter Martijn? I'd have thought you'd have gone for Episode One because of the melodic action harking back to his fan-favourite years?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, I just think Sith sounds more Star Wars-y overall, even though it doesn't have anything as powerful as Across The Stars or a Duel Of The Fates.

I guess it's in keeping with me liking the last parts of Star Wars trilogies the best. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I didn't liked what I was playing today. Only Legend of Zorro made it to the last track. Nah to Golden Compass, nah to AVPR, nah to The Water Horse (it's quite boring!!!), nah to Skinwalkers (sorry Mikael sad, I had more pleasure of it on previous listens though), so I went with Nurse Betty again (toooo cute man!) and now on to The Bourne Ultimatum. Now that is what I call action!!!! Waterloo and Tangiers are two of the best cues of this year.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    nah to The Water Horse (it's quite boring!!!),

shocked Really?
    sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Well, I just think Sith sounds more Star Wars-y overall, even though it doesn't have anything as powerful as Across The Stars or a Duel Of The Fates.

I guess it's in keeping with me liking the last parts of Star Wars trilogies the best. smile

Ironic, I think Phantom sound more like Star Wars. More marches, more Heroic fanfarres, more dinamic and melodic action music....

While Revenge of the sith is pretty good and dark, sometimes sounds too operistic...and Star Wars never has been operistic or wagnerian.

"Panaka and the queen's protectors" blow me away almost so much than "asteroid field"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    While Revenge of the sith is pretty good and dark, sometimes sounds too operistic...and Star Wars never has been operistic or wagnerian.

...WHAT?
    shocked confused Star Wars is the very EPITOME of Wagnerian composing for a Space opera!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote

Ironic, I think Phantom sound more like Star Wars. More marches, more Heroic fanfarres, more dinamic and melodic action music....

Agreed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think with some editing out of certain cues, it would be a fantastic listen, it's got some really good 'classic' JNH action scoring and 'soaring' music.

It's a good score, and a welcome return to the kind of JNH most people love/like. (Although I wish that end credits suite had a drum kit in it. slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    nah to The Water Horse (it's quite boring!!!),

shocked Really?
    sad

Really.

NP Black (Chris Tilton)

Big theme and great action for a very dark afternoon. Loud!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    On The Water Horse, I don't know, but I don't enjoy it. There's this nice theme and it never seems to ... well, explode in some cool way, except for Swimming perhaps. But when you play this score, it just flows, like there's no monster in the water.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LAIR | John Debney and Kevin Kaska

Derivative, yeah yeah, but when it's this good who gives a f*ck.
  1. James Newton Howard - Water Horse

Very good score in context of JNH's ambient outings. This is the James Newton Howard we all love, even if he is very Celtic here (and perhaps takes a motif or two from the Celtic parts of Road to Perdition), it's still a great adventure. Very refreshing after the disappointment called Alien vs. Predator 2...

Not a masterpiece, but a great listen indeed!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

...WHAT?
    shocked confused Star Wars is the very EPITOME of Wagnerian composing for a Space opera!

Maybe Jordi don't know his Opera or his Wagner otherwise he wouldn't say that?!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALAN SILVESTRI - Judge Dredd

I am a huge sucker for this score biggrin And i like it even more since i heard its traces in Beowulf too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    ALAN SILVESTRI - Judge Dredd

I am a huge sucker for this score biggrin And i like it even more since i heard its traces in Beowulf too.

A fave of mine too punk

I really hope you HAVEN'T seen the film? slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't dear friend, nor do i ever plan to. There's a whole bunch of films i know them to be bloody awful so i won't ever watch them, hopefully; don't have time to waste currently and of course don't want them to ruin my score experiences!
  2. A really good score can't be ruined by watching the film. I even watched Once Upon A Forest...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't dear friend, nor do i ever plan to. There's a whole bunch of films i know them to be bloody awful so i won't ever watch them, hopefully; don't have time to waste currently and of course don't want them to ruin my score experiences!

Oh you´re so lucky! It took me ages to listen the score without thinking (and watching in my head) that awful B-movie. It´s the perfect example of great score for a pooooooooor movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    A really good score can't be ruined by watching the film. I even watched Once Upon A Forest...

Thanks for the warning cool wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh you´re so lucky! It took me ages to listen the score without thinking (and watching in my head) that awful B-movie. It´s the perfect example of great score for a pooooooooor movie.

You n' me both buddy! slant
  3. Judge Dredd is enjoyable because of the music (and only because of the music). There are a few good cues missing on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    A really good score can't be ruined by watching the film. I even watched Once Upon A Forest...

Thanks for the warning cool wink

It can for me, it has happened in the past too.