• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    well, the piece is done for Bregt to put up on my site. I think you'll all be pleased with the way it turned out. For some unknown reason (rocks in my head perhaps) I pulled out Treasure of the Sierra Madre, the reconstructed one with Morgan and Stromberg. I don't understand this not being able to connect with Steiner? And yet some of this new material? I would rather knit on the front porch and watch the grass grow...more exciting.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: guess... beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

OMG! Jordi is having an scoregasm! Everybody take cover....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    His best work to date (The Crow being very close), and the proof that he can compose for orchestra, with themes and melodies. The reason why he doesn´t do it more often is, well, I dunno, maybe he is only hired for films that don´t demand big scores but functional and background music.

I'd guess so too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    His best work to date (The Crow being very close), and the proof that he can compose for orchestra, with themes and melodies. The reason why he doesn´t do it more often is, well, I dunno, maybe he is only hired for films that don´t demand big scores but functional and background music.

I'd guess so too.

Then it´s too bad, he will always be underrated and at the same category as composers that are TRULY limited as composers (Santaolalla somebody? - with two oscars though crazy ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

biggrin
    Ok; filled the board with "OMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Jordi craziness for the rest couple of months to follow.....! Great rolleyes tongue biggrin

n.p. JOE HISAISHI - Spirited Away

Whatever i'd say about this, it'd be too little. This is spectacular!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

biggrin
    Ok; filled the board with "OMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Jordi craziness for the rest couple of months to follow.....! Great rolleyes tongue biggrin

biggrin biggrin

And it is his first listen. This is only the beginning....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Marselus wrote

He doesn't have the whole score yet, just a few tracks; nothing could prepare you for the Jordi-twister coming our way! Bregt, are you, and the servers, ready? Taken the needed precautions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timeline | Brian Tyler

I'm in a kick-ass-film-music mood today. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Marselus wrote

He doesn't have the whole score yet, just a few tracks; nothing could prepare you for the Jordi-twister coming our way! Bregt, are you, and the servers, ready? Taken the needed precautions?

LOL biggrin

you can´t EVER take enough precautions for a Jordi scoregasm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    BobdH wrote
    Marselus wrote

Of course I have the whole tracks!!!

I have recieved my Box from Amazong! crazy

NP:Pirates Of Caribbean Soundtrack Treasures

OHHHHHHHHHH MY GOD!!!!

PURE ZIMMER! PURE zIMMER! ALL HIS RAGE AND POWER BUT FAR MORE ORCHESTRAL, AND WITH AN INCREDIBLE SONORITY!!! VERY COLORFUL!

SINGAPORE IS FU___ING AMAZING, VERY ASIATIC IN WITH THE KIND OF STUFF I HAVE NO HEARD FROM zIMMER IN A LOT OF TIMES.

special mention to: peacemaker theme in "Lord Becket" , and the parachuset music in "Marry me"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

The law of averages does suggest that you are bound to get something right eventually.

HAHA! Good one! biggrin

Alan killed Martijn cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote

I honestly think he is one of the worst composers working in Hollywood today. With the exception of a few good scores... some mentioned in this thread already... his stuff never interests me and when ever he is assigned to a movie I could care less. However, stuff like The Crow, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Streetfighter, The Red Planet and Eaters of the Dead are the only scores that I would ever consider returning to.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi wrote:

Amazong!

omg
  1. I'll try posting this for the third time after having lost this the first two times.

NP: Tarabas - Rolf Wilhelm

I first came across Wilhelm's work on the 2CD release of his score for Die Nibelungen. Definitely worth a listen, I expanded out into a couple of compilation CDs of his film/TV music:

http://www.amazon.de/Tarabas-Hiob-Rolf- … B000FIGY9S (with clips)

A very competent score for an early 1980s German TV show, Tarabas has a lovely main title theme.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi wrote:

Amazong!

omg

LOL!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi wrote:

Amazong!

omg

Im not a liar.If you understand what I mean.... biggrin

if you think AWE score is orchestral it's because you have no heard the suite: flutes, haps, bells, chimes...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

I honestly think he is one of the worst composers working in Hollywood today. With the exception of a few good scores... some mentioned in this thread already... his stuff never interests me and when ever he is assigned to a movie I could care less. However, stuff like The Crow, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Streetfighter, The Red Planet and Eaters of the Dead are the only scores that I would ever consider returning to.

-Erik-

Well he is not in my top 10 list of fav composers, but with stuff like "Chronicles of Riddick" or "The Crow" he showed what he can do with the apropriate material. I don´t jump of happiness when he is assigned a job though, just think it´s fair to recognize his merits (when he deserves it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Beowulf- Alan Silvestri
    First listen.Grand,heroic... Amazing!!Silvestri in his best element!I have the volume realy loud and I'm rocking the whole place here! punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. NP: The Dark Crystal - Trevor Jones

This is the suite of tracks from the SONCINEMAD concert - a nice summary of the score and in good sound quality. I'm not hearing Elfman at all - the choral passages are not fantastical enough to be Elfman.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Shock Treatment - Jerry Goldsmith

This is a little gem of a score that's buried deep within the "Jerry Goldsmith At 20th Century Fox" set. In parts creepy and beautiful, full of strings - both massed and solo - and with a touch of eerie electronics, this score for TV(?) should be celebrated and one of Goldsmith's early best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Liam's Saturday Morning Playlist

Every Saturday morning the boy and I get together for a few minutes and listen to some film music. His favorites are The Raiders March, The Imperial March and Superman's Theme. He smiles from ear to ear, dances and conducts! What a good boy!!!

I've now moved on to...

John Barry: The Collection - John Barry

Those who know me know that I'm not a fan of The City of Prague Phiharmonic Orchestra or their recordings. IMHO, the performers always sound constipated... and that might be because of a terrible mix of the awful acoustic in the recording hall, the recording engineer and mixer. However, for some reason, Nic Raine always brings out the best in the Prague Orchestra when performing John Barry music. It could be that Raine is a gigantic fan of Barry's... which is not new news... or the fact that the music is so bloody easy to perform that I'm it would be embarrassing to screw up a note on some of these patented long John Barry string passages.

Anyway, this is a great compilation with a lot of previously unreleased cues and goodies. Highly recommended!

-Erik-

PS - The boy is dancing to "Florida Fantasy" from Midnight Cowboy right now. What a goofy piece... and his loves it!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik, when you talk about how you're introducing your love for film music to Liam, I always think of how I've missed an opportunity with David and Rachel when they were that age. sad

But I love to hear about what you are doing.

I've always had it reinforced to me as I have been growing up how isolationist listening to film music can be. Parents wondering what that weird music is coming out of their son's bedroom, schoolmates showing no real interest, LPs/CDs being hidden away in the bowels of record stores, etc sort of reinforced for me how "different" my listening experiences were then. And it just got to the stage where I kept my love for film music to myself.

How things have changed today - even though it may not be ideal, it is certainly better than it was 25-30 years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    First listen.Grand,heroic... Amazing!!Silvestri in his best element!I have the volume realy loud and I'm rocking the whole place here! punk

Wait 'till you watch the movie! In fact, Village cinemas in Athens have installed one of those big-ass, kick-ass 3D movies where you go and watched the movie with the special glasses on so now you know what to do tonight! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Ward 13 - Christopher Gordon

This is a 12-minute suite (complete score) of music for this animated short. A sort of cross between Bernard Herrman and Raiders of The Lost Ark? Perhaps. But it's certainly an excellent listen and fits the animation very well indeed.

The trailer featured on YouTube has some of the more Herrmannesque music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9cq0FP1TxI
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Excellent adventure score with a tasty blend of Western and Eastern ideas. And boy, what a finale.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Wait 'till you watch the movie! In fact, Village cinemas in Athens have installed one of those big-ass, kick-ass 3D movies where you go and watched the movie with the special glasses on so now you know what to do tonight! punk

I saw it last Saturday hon in 3D!It was unbelievable!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Dammed! Something is wrong when Im listening Pirates and Im thinking In Empire Strikes Back. What you people has done to me!!!!!!!!!???

NP:Pirates Of Caribbean Soundtrack Treasures:

Tracks by Tracks:
    1-Pirates, day One: The demo from Sountrack.net. I don't think it's orchestrated.You can listen He's a pirates and Drop ZOne copy and paste theme.Interesting but not good.

2-Marry me: Nothing really new. But Fuc_ing Great!!! The love theme devoloped and with a lot of diferent arrengements. More flutes and harps like In pearl Harbor. "Up is down" is a little bit re orchestrated.
    And yes Parachuset tracks is there...

3-heart of davey Davey Jones: A softer version of that theme. You can see the diferences between the complexity of Dead Man's chest and AWE. Good.

3_Lord Cutler Becket: One of the best pieces of the suite. Becket's theme devoloped from suspens to action. More like " we are in the court" orchestrations, and some terrific action stuff like Muppet treasure Island and Peacemaker. a lot of color here too.

4-Jacks theme piano demo : that's what it is.

6-Hoist the colours suite: The same from the End Title but you can hear more instruments, and with some little parts expanded.

7-Lord pirate of Singapore: THE TRACK.Shao feng theme with really asian instrumentations (more than the last samurai). Erhu with all his shine!the action stuff is like black rain with 90 pieces of orchestra.

8-Just good busines: the same like Becket but with some diferences...I don't undersntand this track.

Conclussion: an impressive music from ZImmer. He has never composed something so rich in orchestrations. It doesn't have "at witt's End" but it has some of his most impressive acton stuff (more than "i don't think now is the best time").

You must have the 2 cd's! the original and the suites!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Sea Hawk (Korngold)

Fantastic swashbucking in full glory and sound quality!