• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:The Sea Hawk (Korngold)

Fantastic swashbucking in full glory and sound quality!

Most excellent music! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Empire Strikes Back

CAn anyone stop my obsession with this score???it's a "Old man" score, God Blessed!!!!And I have Pirates Suitess!!!I can't understand it man...

I always Skipped "carbon freeze...." , but now it seems a perfect mix of suspens, drama, love and adventure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Empire Strikes Back

CAn anyone stop my obsession with this score???it's a "Old man" score, God Blessed!!!!And I have Pirates Suitess!!!I can't understand it man...

I always Skipped "carbon freeze...." , but now it seems a perfect mix of suspens, drama, love and adventure.

WHY would you want to stop an obsession with a true masterpiece!!!? punk

NP: Miracle on 34th Street - Bruce Broughton

Due to the fact that it's December 1 and it's snowing outside my window! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    NP: The Comencheros: Suite - Elmer Bernstien

This is from the 1986 re-recording first released on Varese along with a True Grit suite. This was later re-package for an album called Elmer Bernstein conducts his classic music from the film of John Wayne. Anyway, The Comancheros suite is absolutely superb. Wonderful performance by the Utah Symphony with clear and powerful sonics.... always a staple with Utah recordings. The three action highlights need to be played loud! And of course there is the classic theme. So, it all works extremely well in this 20 minute suite.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Masada (Goldsmith)

A masterpiece.I love this biblical sense. The main theme is catchy but extremely addictive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    The main theme is catchy but extremely addictive.

AND extremely addictive, and.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

A masterpiece.I love this biblical sense. The main theme is catchy but extremely addictive.

The track The Slaves is one of Goldsmith's most moving and beautiful pieces, an amazingly powerful piece!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone (Williams)

Even though it's a typical mickeymousing score from Williams with shades of Home Alone and Hook in it, I still very much enjoy it. Terrific orchestrations and excellent recording with the LSO -- which makes me wonder why Williams is recording Indy 4 with an L.A. orchestra when he recorded the previous three films (or at the very least, first and third films) with the LSO?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The Golden Compass - Desplat
    Back-to-back-to-back listens. First one in the film and now twice separately. I just noticed there's a little motif for Mrs. Coulter that's reminiscent of the main theme from Phantom of the Opera. biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Another thing about Golden Compass...it sometimes comes dangerously close to using the Batman Begins / Transformers 2-note suspense motif...but then it builds into something else causing a great sigh of relief...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007 edited
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone (Williams)

Even though it's a typical mickeymousing score from Williams with shades of Home Alone and Hook in it, I still very much enjoy it. Terrific orchestrations and excellent recording with the LSO -- which makes me wonder why Williams is recording Indy 4 with an L.A. orchestra when he recorded the previous three films (or at the very least, first and third films) with the LSO?

Only Chamber of Secrets was performed by the LSO. Philosopher's and Azkaban were performed with various players from and in around the UK. And the reason they recorded in London was because the production was based in the UK.

As for Indy 4... most of the production took place in North America. The post is being done at LucasFilm, Skywalker Ranch, Dreamworks or where ever. Why fly all the way to London just to record with the LSO when the best musicians in the world play with the Hollywood Symphony Orchestra. BTW, ONLY Raiders of the Lost Ark was performed by the LSO. Temple and Crusade were recorded in LA.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: LOTR - RETURN OF THE KING

Thankyou Mr. Shore! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: PSYCHO IV - Graeme Revell

Just a redoing of Bernard Herrmann's material confused If I wanna hear this, I'd just as well get the original Psycho out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALBERTO IGLESIAS - the kite runner

A very bright and colorful world music-led score with the trademarked dense Iglesias arrangements and constant melodic-harmonic movement (see "Kite Tournament" for instance) but simultaneously of a kinda lighter overall character, in comparison with some of his darker works. " Opening Titles", "Hassan Theme" and everything from "Russians Invade" onwards is some of the finest examples of imaginative modern film music today.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Im cutting (??) a green tree (???) in my garden...So for a moment I feel like Edward Schisorhands.

So..

NP:Edward Shisorhands (El.....fman)

I bought it! Another weird case!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

Pirates Suites - Hans Zimmer

Some of these suites are absolutely great. Lord Cutler Beckett is a highlight for me, with such a cool variation on the East Indian Trade Company theme. And the jiggy Jack Sparrow theme on piao is delightful. Great listen.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ditto.

I'm only on track 2 so far, this is really good stuff. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Now playing "Cinema choral classics II". Decent album, but the cue I'm listening to now "The hymn to Red October" is just ridiculously poor compared to the real version. Urgh!

Peter vomit
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Ward 13 - Christopher Gordon

This is a 12-minute suite (complete score) of music for this animated short. A sort of cross between Bernard Herrman and Raiders of The Lost Ark? Perhaps. But it's certainly an excellent listen and fits the animation very well indeed.

The trailer featured on YouTube has some of the more Herrmannesque music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9cq0FP1TxI

That little score is bloody fantastic. I really must find my copy and send it to Erik - he'd love it.

Ironically, I was sitting in Sydney's Opera House last night for a concert of John Williams music. (Conducted by LA conductor Arnie Roth.) Just before it started, I heard a call from behind - 'Michael!' I turn, and two rows back, is Christopher Gordon. He says: 'I figured you'd be here.' My reply: 'To tell you the truth, I'm surprised you are!' Truly though, he's a big John Williams fan, and when the orchestra came round to RAIDERS, I couldn't help but think of WARD 13... wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

The track The Slaves is one of Goldsmith's most moving and beautiful pieces, an amazingly powerful piece!

Yes, indeed. I can't believe I have not paid attention to this score until now.

The Slaves has a Rozsa influence but still is Goldsmith in all his orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    biggrin

Pirates Suites - Hans Zimmer

Some of these suites are absolutely great. Lord Cutler Beckett is a highlight for me, with such a cool variation on the East Indian Trade Company theme. And the jiggy Jack Sparrow theme on piao is delightful. Great listen.

Yeap. Concert pieces, recorded without any alteration that's the reason because some of this suites sounds diferent than the cd versions. It's cool to hear.

My highlight is "Lord of Singapore", wich 6 minutes are more asian than the whole The last samurai, and it contains the rytms of the old zimmer (this last Koto progression) mixed with 90 pieces of orchestra.

I don't like veery much Becket Stuff, It's good about 5 minutes...but 14!!!!!

ANyway I don't change any of this suites for "at witt's End" ( I wonder if he composed this track)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Time for some nice background music while I, um, 'work'...

Spanglish | Hans Zimmer

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

My highlight is "Lord of Singapore", wich 6 minutes are more asian than the whole The last samurai, and it contains the rytms of the old zimmer (this last Koto progression) mixed with 90 pieces of orchestra.

For me THE highlight is "Marry Me", with its multiple variations of the long love theme Zimmer wrote for the third film (and the theme he likes most, quoting his words). And at last we can listen the "Parachute Theme", which I missed in the score cd of Pirates 3.

Other highlights are "Lord of Singapore" (with the full theme developed in a way that we couldn´t find in the movie or the original cd), "Lord Cutler Beckett" (with the cool variation on the East Indian Trade Company theme that Bregt has mentioned) and "Hoist the Colors Suite" (better sound quality than the DVD Rip we had ´til now).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

For me THE highlight is "Marry Me", with its multiple variations of the long love theme Zimmer wrote for the third film (and the theme he likes most, quoting his words).

And one of my favourite themes from him, without any doubt. A very devoloped theme, with a little turn into a pirate melody.

I wonder wich flutes creates this kind of "to know my enemy sound" in the beggining of "Lord Singapore".

NP:Alien V Predator (Tyler).

3 tracks.

A like tyler's homenage to Horner's overture for the second movie.

I can define this 3 tracks like Aliens with drugs and with Goldenthal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Alien V Predator (Tyler).

3 tracks.

A like tyler's homenage to Horner's overture for the second movie.

I can define this 3 tracks like Aliens with drugs and with Goldenthal.

Aliens on drugs? wow, this is promising!

NP The Saint (Graeme Revell)

It´s been a long time since I last played this one. And a nice surprise to relisten it. Not the usual non-substancial, non-thematic, just-electronic-loops-and-rythms Revell score. A catchy main theme, a beautiful love theme and great action/choral tracks make this one a worth listening experience. Wish he had done more of this kind of music. Too bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote

very close to the style of Arnold's Bond scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yes, very very close.
    Too bad he hasn´t developed more this way of scoring, we would be talking more of him, I´m sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the man's greatest scores.....sublime punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yes, very very close.
    Too bad he hasn´t developed more this way of scoring, we would be talking more of him, I´m sure.

NP:Miami Vice (Jan Hammer)

ahahah...Cool!

"croket's theme" is the kind of the music why I became a movie music fan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yes, very very close.

NP:Miami Vice (Jan Hammer)

ahahah...Cool!

"croket's theme" is the kind of the music why I became a movie music fan.

I love Crocket's Theme, gorgeous! cool