• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    I'm listening to Treasure of the Sierra Madre for my next review. Its one of those pieces from Steiner that people can't connect to or have bashed as being less than. I of course don't get that but then again there is a lot of new material I don't understand.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Bobby Jones, Stroke Of Genius - James Horner

My first listen... So far I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Heavy Metal 2000 - Frederic Talgorn

Lush, Symphonic masterpiece!

A friend said I should check it out. Glad I did!

Great score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    NP: Heavy Metal 2000 - Frederic Talgorn

Lush, Symphonic masterpiece!

A friend said I should check it out. Glad I did!

Great score!

Talgorn is an under appreciated composer. He wrote some incredible music for President and Molière in the past year or so. I also recommend Fortress and Robotjox.

NP: Sphere - Elliot Goldenthal

One of my very first Goldenthal scores and one of my favorites. And intelligent, powerful, and exciting work. I'd say that this would be one of his more accessible scores. And what is there to say about "Their Beast Within" that hasn't been said before. Goldenthal knows how to do big and do it right! Those growling brass chords... really tests your sound system.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, couldn't agree with you more. SPHERE is one of my G favorites as well, so dark, ominous and vast-sounding! I just love it!

HANS ZIMMER - the POTC suites (8 new pieces in total)

F*CKING AWESOME! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, couldn't agree with you more. SPHERE is one of my G favorites as well, so dark, ominous and vast-sounding! I just love it!

HANS ZIMMER - the POTC suites (8 new pieces in total)

F*CKING AWESOME! punk

I can't believe how Fuc_ing amazing is "lord of Singapore". what a fresh new sound ! what a more incredible action piece!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Apollo 13 - James Horner

Probably my favourite Horner score, it has everything I love about his music.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    LSH wrote
    NP: Apollo 13 - James Horner

Probably my favourite Horner score, it has everything I love about his music.

punk

Agree.

NP:Empire Strikes Back

I hope the Anthology will arrive this weekend.
    Meanwhile...

P-E-R-F-E-C-T

(are you angry with me Erik?Since the Hobbit thing you don't talk to me)
  1. sdtom wrote
    I'm listening to Treasure of the Sierra Madre for my next review. Its one of those pieces from Steiner that people can't connect to or have bashed as being less than. I of course don't get that but then again there is a lot of new material I don't understand.
    Tom

That's an interesting score, though I came out of it wondering if that was Steiner's best shot, how good would Waxman, Herrmann or North's take on the material be?
    I think the reason Steiner is not so well regarded these days is his complete lack of proportion to the drama. Korngold comes off well today because the films he scored were fanciful swashbucklers - they're fantasies. But Steiner did everything with an iron fist and an orchestral flourish, even scores that probably called for some subtlety like THE INFORMER and SIERRA MADRE.

NP: Marco Polo (Morricone)

Nice relief after listening to The Golden Compass so much.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

Now that's a magnificent score isn't it? (Marco Polo). What do you think about 72 metra, Michael?
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Now that's a magnificent score isn't it? (Marco Polo). What do you think about 72 metra, Michael?

I actually haven't heard 72 METRA. I will one of these days - I'd better purchase it before it goes out of print - but I need to be in a Morricone mood to have a good time with his modern music. I was in one last year, when I had to do all those reviews for Ripley's Game, Fateless, Karol, Cefalonia, etc. Wouldn't mind hearing AIDA DEGLI ALBERI though - his animation score from a few years back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How's that? You know or are you buying "in blind"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    Nautilus wrote

What do you want to talk about?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

What do you want to talk about?

-Erik-

I think Jordi wants to be convinced by you... perhaps its been a while since you've persuaded him to like a score he hates. wink

Christodoulides wrote
    How's that? You know or are you buying "in blind"

I think Southall rated AIDA DEGLI ALBERI quite highly... But even if it were mickey-mousing wall-to-wall, Morricone can do those zany arrangements like noone else.
  4. [big]Hans Zimmer - Pirates of the Caribbean CD 4[/big]

The suites... GREAT work, really great work from Hans, even if the original Zimmer suite is even more (yes that's possible biggrin ) derivative than the final score (ripping Drop Zone note for note, bad Hans, bad Hans... Marry Me is a great version of the Love Theme and the "Parachute" theme is great too. Beckett material is very good, Davy Jones - I must admit to preferring the second score suite from its respective album. Beckett material is good in both track - Sao Feng's material is just breathtaking - 6 minutes of dramatic Asian swashbuckling in distinct Zimmer style. What can be said about it smile

Generally punk punk punk punk punk
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Indeed
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    [big]Hans Zimmer - Pirates of the Caribbean CD 4[/big]

The suites... GREAT work, really great work from Hans, even if the original Zimmer suite is even more (yes that's possible biggrin ) derivative than the final score (ripping Drop Zone note for note, bad Hans, bad Hans... Marry Me is a great version of the Love Theme and the "Parachute" theme is great too. Beckett material is very good, Davy Jones - I must admit to preferring the second score suite from its respective album. Beckett material is good in both track - Sao Feng's material is just breathtaking - 6 minutes of dramatic Asian swashbuckling in distinct Zimmer style. What can be said about it smile

Generally punk punk punk punk punk

We have another Jordi? crazy Im unique!!!!!!

"LORD OF SINGAPORE" PURE ZIMMER!!!! What an amazing tour de force between orient and western orchestra! i love this final minute ala Black Rain.

(Beckett stuff don't make me goes crazy, is the best action stuff by Zimmer, but I don't like that theme)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: Enchanted - Alan Menken

This isn't as horrible as I thought it would be, it's actually quite good. Nothing approaches the magnificence of "Transformation", but that's a given. The first two songs aren't bad and the score has that great big Menken sound that I enjoy so much.

I'm not crazy about the recording, the brass sounds a bit flat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    NP: Star Trek VI - Cliff Eidelman

One of the best Star Trek soundtracks, i think.
    The best moments of the score is played at the start and the end of the album. Only the middle section, becomes a bit dull sometimes.
    The "Overture" is a kick @ss track. punk I can play that cue, over and over again, and never get tired of it. So is "The Battle For Peace".
    And "Sign Off" is such a nice way, to say goodbye of the original Star Trek crew.

I've never heard the last 3 Star Trek scores by Goldsmith. Or seen the movies for that matter.
    So what score would you recommend me next?
    First Contact, Insurrection or Nemesis? Any suggestions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    (Beckett stuff don't make me goes crazy, is the best action stuff by Zimmer, but I don't like that theme)

I don't think you're quite supposed to like the theme because Beckett's character is an entirely unlikeable one...I think the theme reflect him and the whole "evil capitalism destroying freedom" idea that underlies parts 2 and 3 of the trilogy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NunoM wrote
    I've never heard the last 3 Star Trek scores by Goldsmith. Or seen the movies for that matter.

Go with First Contact. The last time Goldsmith would ever come to the greatness of The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier. Insurrection and Nemesis are paint by numbers, nothing special efforts!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NunoM wrote

Go with First Contact. The last time Goldsmith would ever come to the greatness of The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier. Insurrection and Nemesis are paint by numbers, nothing special efforts!

-Erik-

I don't agree.

If you want a good listening experience try with Insurrection or Nemesis. First Contact, Quality aside wich can be discussed, it's only a brilliant main them with a lot of suspense cues and a lot of music from Jerry's son.

But ey! I don't like Star trek V either!!!! The motion Picture is for me the real good Goldsmith ST score..

NP:The Robe (alfred Newman)

Good...Good..
  5. NP: Birth (Desplat)

I think in it's own way, this score as unusual a way to tell a story musically as possible in a film. The music itself is pretty novel on its own... but in the film, as any poor soul whose seen it can attest, it does some very odd things. The electric pulse and solo timpani stuff in particular. The music entertains a distance from the image that feels almost random at times. And for that, for trying something very different, I hope it endures. We hear of so many film-makers saying they employed Desplat because of BIRTH (directors Richard Loncraine of FIREWALL, Stephen Fears of THE QUEEN, Gaghan of SYRIANA and John Curran of THE PAINTED VEIL), so fortunately the right people noticed. Hopefully a time will come when he writes something else that makes me go 'wow! I haven't heard that before!' like this score's fantastic 'Prologue'.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Batman Begins (James Newton Howard & Hans Zimmer)

I really enjoy this score, maybe it's because I love the movie so much. It's a prototypical Zimmer score with some of the subtle Howard touches, but sometimes a tried and true sound works to a franchise reboot's advantage. I just wish the soundtrack release had included the the final action scene cue and the end titles suite (the latter I have downloaded from the web and listening to now). I'm hoping the score for The Dark Knight and the untitled second sequel will be markedly improved scores. If it happened with the POTC trilogy, then certainly it'll happen for the Batman reboot... hopefully.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    If you want a good listening experience try with Insurrection or Nemesis. First Contact, Quality aside wich can be discussed, it's only a brilliant main them with a lot of suspense cues and a lot of music from Jerry's son.

Alright... a new challenge. Within one week Jordi with be singing this scores praises.

Jordi... time for you to re-listen to...

"Red Alert" - AWESOME rendition of Goldsmith's Star Trek main theme with segues into the menacing Borg theme. From there this exciting action cue reprises Goldsmith's Klingon Theme which is now Worf's heroic motif. The rest of the cue is dynamite as Goldsmith' builds to Picard's order for the entire fleet to attack.

"Welcome Aboard" is absolutely gorgeous as Picard shows Lily Earth from space for the very first time.

"Retreat" contains a lot of exciting material... Warf's theme again, the GREAT Borg theme.

"Evacuate" The beginning of this track is absolutely superb and the rythmic music continues until Pickard gives the self-destruct order and again we get another beautiful rendition of the First Contact theme.

"The Dish" Jordi, you talked about suspence music... this is top notch suspence music for a great sequence in the film.

"Flight of the Phoenix" If you have the recording sessions of this score then you have already heard this spectacular track. Even though it was composed by Joel Goldsmith it still is one of the top three cues from the film and one of the great Star Trek cues of all time. I love the swirling woodwinds during the actual launch of the Phoenix. What an outstanding track that should have made it to the commercial release.

"First Contact" - "End Credits" - The other two highlight cues. I don't need to go over these fine tracks with you... just listen to them.

So, go back and listen to this most excellent score. Goldsmith's late GREAT Star Trek score.

-Erik-

PS - While you're at it... re-listen to Star Trek V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Besides listening to Menken's Enchanted earlier, I've been in a dark music mood today. Earlier I played Trevor Jones' Dark City, Don Davis' House on Haunted Hill, Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream and:

NP: In Dreams - Elliot Goldenthal

A bizarre, and at times frightening score. I know for a fact that I would not have liked this two or three years ago, but my musical pallet has increased quite rapidly over the past few years. This is the type of score that I enjoy playing loudly just to illicit some kind of reaction from my roommate. What can I say, I'm evil sometimes.

Certainly a strange day for music considering I've been writing papers and studying for finals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Romeo and Juliet~ Nino Rota
    Since today was his birthday, I thought it would be appropriate to honour him by playing what is for me his best work.I just adore the Love Theme.It reminds me why I love music and what means to be in love...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    NP: Gorky Park - James Horner punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP POTC Live Performance at Disneyland (Hans Zimmer and Co.)

Nice performance (with the obvious pre-records included) of a suite from POTC3.
    Nice to see Heitor Pereira, Bruce Fowler, Martin Tillman and Steve Erdody having such a good time, laughing all the time. Specially funny is one of the drummers, the one wearing glasses (does anybody know if he is a RC guy?).

Oh, and what a hottie the lady who plays the violin is. Wouldn´t mind watching more of her....playing the violin I mean. biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Marselus wrote
    Nice performance (with the obvious pre-records included) of a suite from POTC3.
    Nice to see Heitor Pereira, Bruce Fowler, Martin Tillman and Steve Erdody having such a good time, laughing all the time. Specially funny is one of the drummers, the one wearing glasses (does anybody know if he is a RC guy?).

If I remember correctly from the other videos, it's Ryeland Allison. There's also (I guess) Henry Jackman on the keyboard and Atli Örvarsson at the accordion.