• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    Wow, the I am Legend score is really making an impact now. At first I wasn't too impressed, now things have changed smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008 edited
    NP: Rambo - Brian Tyler

First listen... and how excruciatingly boring!!!

While AVP: R was a campy, fun ride - Rambo is the exact opposite. While it's great to hear Goldsmith's "It's A Long Road" theme again I'd rather hear the three original Goldsmith scores then this bland and very disappointing composition. This score is Tyler doing the same old four chord progression action material with... get this... Zimmer thrown in for good measure. Take any old ordinary Zimmer action score, add the really noisy bits from Darkness Falls and Goldsmith's First Blood theme and you get Rambo Easily one of the must uninteresting scores I've heard in a long while. It's a mix of energetic, yet annoying action material and some of the most dull suspense material I've ever heard. I dare anyone to get through "Searching for Missionaries" without blowing your brains out! And there is 76 minutes of this stuff! And the percussion material seems to be on a loop. 4 bars and repeat! Trust me, you'll be frantically searching for Goldsmith's superior scores just so you don't have to hear any more of Tyler's below average work.

Oh, oh, oh, oh... and then the "Journey to the Line" motif pops up in "Attack on the Village." I mean... COME ON!!! Seriously?! vomit

Yawnfest 2008 has begun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Kite Runner - Alberto Iglesias

It took a few listens to get used to this, but I've grown rather fond of it. I prefer other Iglesias which I've heard, but it's still very solid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

It took a few listens to get used to this, but I've grown rather fond of it. I prefer other Iglesias which I've heard, but it's still very solid.

It's a good listen. I don't know about it being an Oscar contender because a lot of it sounds like source material but a very good listen.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

It's a good listen. I don't know about it being an Oscar contender because a lot of it sounds like source material but a very good listen.

I found this a really good score and deserving the nominee.

Anyway, I think I don't understand what you mean by 'a lot of it sounds like source material'?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I found this a really good score and deserving the nominee.

Anyway, I think I don't understand what you mean by 'a lot of it sounds like source material'?

It doesn't sound scene specific... if that makes sense. As if it was composed before the picture was made and placed in where needed. Needle drop music. Get my drift. Like there weren't any sync points. I don't know, I'll listen to it again. Maybe I missed something. But it sounded like an easy listening CD to me and NOT a film score per se.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    It doesn't sound scene specific... if that makes sense. As if it was composed before the picture was made and placed in where needed. Needle drop music. Get my drift. Like there weren't any sync points. I don't know, I'll listen to it again. Maybe I missed something. But it sounded like an easy listening CD to me and NOT a film score per se.

Aaah, that way. It is indeed a nice flowing album, and perhaps the music itself isn't very telling (at least not on themes).
    Kazoo
  1. listening to Dead Calm by Graeme Revell
    so far this is shite man tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I remember the FSM boys said the same about THE CONSTANT GARDENER. While there are 2-3 source tracks in there (mostly pop-tracks), the thing is Iglesias can write stuff that fits into different musical cultures.

'Kite Tournament' and 'Kite Shop' are two of the highlights of that score for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

I remember the FSM boys said the same about THE CONSTANT GARDENER. While there are 2-3 source tracks in there (mostly pop-tracks), the thing is Iglesias can write stuff that fits into different musical cultures.

I'm not disputing that. I just find that this type of music doesn't really say film music to me. Then again, I haven't seen the film so I'm really not qualified to judge.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Rambo: First Blood Part II - Jerry Goldsmith

Yeah baby! Now this is how it's done. Complex and masterful orchestrations, brilliant variations on the main theme, utilization of odd meters and some incredible and genuinely exciting action material.

Whoa! Getting into Demetris territory here. wink

Anyway, even the goofy synths are a welcome addition. A great action score!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote

All I remember of this score is ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ average percussion zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZ average ethnic elemnts ZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ, oh, and zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

All I remember of this score is ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ average percussion zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZ average ethnic elemnts ZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ, oh, and zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

You are very proud of your composers I see. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    ^ Give me Roque Baños anyday, a FAR more versatile composer.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Rambo - Brian Tyler

It feels like I've been listening to this for about six weeks. Does it ever actually end? Good lord, my initial (somewhat favourable) reaction was based on the first few tracks. Little did I realise how far it would fall after that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, i agree with Erik and Southall on RAMBO; a few good tracks and the rest (particularly the middle section) lags as hell.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, i agree with Erik and Southall on RAMBO; a few good tracks and the rest (particularly the middle section) lags as hell.

sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Why does he have to always put out such long albums? Even the great Goldsmith produced an album which goes on a bit (to say the least) for the third film, and Tyler's music is nowhere near as interesting as Goldsmith's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP North By Northwest - Herrmann (new McNeely recording)

Wishful thinking! After waiting a month I finally recieved the parcel in the mail only to find a completely differnt CD in it. It was Tyler's AVPR score which I did not order. Yet the invoice says North By Northwest.
    I've emailed Buysoundtrax but have so far had no reply. Anyone else experenced this?
    I dearly wish to hear the new North By Northwest score too. So I'm kinda not happy!
  4. Marselus wrote
    ^ Give me Roque Baños anyday, a FAR more versatile composer.

Indeed. He can make any score sound like Bernard Herrmann! biggrin

They're both very good, and I think you underrate Iglesias. He can do films for such disparate storytellers as Almodovar (stylised melodrama), Medem (magic realism), Saura (preserving cultural tradition), Mereilles (a traditional romance shot through with documentary realism), Malkovitch (a classical, tense thriller), and Foster (traditional classical foreign language epic) just to name a handful. To say he isn't diverse in his responses to films is just not listening closely.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, agree with Michael. Both are truly excellent composers, it's just that Banos is always the easier to get from the two.
  5. God, I'm shocked biggrin

When I actually kinda LIKE (yes, the album is too long and yes, middle part is the issue here) a Tyler score, Demetris rather hates it. My biggest problem here is the Zimmer influence. That three-note descending motif is kinda hilarious.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't hate it, i just think it is significantly inferior to AVP:R and i truly cannot think of how a sane individual would ever rank Rambo over AVP:R wink The Zimmer influence - although very obvious admittedly, is quite enjoyable to my ears and doesn't bother me at all. It's the terribly lagging underscore that irritates me, More in my (yes i know they're hugely delayed) reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008 edited
    Grrr! All you lucky folks! angry I haven't had a chance to play a single cd in the last two weeks. And now that school's started it's only going to get worse. I'm hoping I get to listen to All The Pretty Horses by Marty Stuart et. al. sometime soon.

Atham wrote After waiting a month I finally recieved the parcel in the mail only to find a completely differnt CD in it. It was Tyler's AVPR score which I did not order. Yet the invoice says North By Northwest.
    I've emailed Buysoundtrax but have so far had no reply. Anyone else experenced this?
    I dearly wish to hear the new North By Northwest score too. So I'm kinda not happy!

You might want to post in the FSM message boards. That usually wakens BSX from their slumber. I hope you get your stuff soon.
    After abstaining from buying from them for nearly a year, I gave in to temptation for their 15% discount over this last Christmas. So far no email and no cds. This is my last order with them ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008 edited
    BP, school is no excuse mate wink I am on my final year at the uni and still play the hell out of my CD's. Apart if by "school" you actually mean "university" too or you're - in fact, not as lazy as i am. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    BP, school is no excuse mate wink I am on my final year at the uni and still play the hell out of my CD's. Apart if by "school" you actually mean "university" too or you're - in fact, not as lazy as i am. tongue wink

You, Sir, never cease to astound me with how many scores you listen to (and posts you make) everyday. smile
    And Franz too!

Yeah, university. Working on defining my phd thesis topic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You, Sir, never cease to astound me with how many scores you listen to (and posts you make) everyday. smile

That's why he is failing! wink

Start that thesis yet, Demetris?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i have exams 'till the end of next week (1st of Feb) and right after that i'll be working on it! And no, i am NOT falling at all dear Sir wink
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Today I've heard -

The Shipping News - Christopher Young
    All all-time favourite with two of the most beautiful, haunting themes you'll ever hear. I could play the 6 minute finale 'Sail On' for hours (and I have in the past!). That penny whistle is a glorious sound.

One Night with the King - J.A.C. Redford
    Knew next to nothing about this composer but this is a wonderful introduction and a revelation. A lovely, varied orchestral score with plenty of classy thematic material. It's very, very good.

Now onto
    Bernard Herrmann - Mysterious Island
    It's great of course but it's nearly over now (and it's a marathon) and I must admit a migraine is starting to set in! dizzy No, truly it's brilliant but in one sitting this is called an overdose! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CONRAD POPE - Pavillion of Women

WOAH! Who was it that recommended this to me? 'Cause i am pretty sure it was from this forum (or scorereviews anyway) and it's BRILLIANT! shocked