• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    CONRAD POPE - Pavillion of Women

WOAH! Who was it that recommended this to me? 'Cause i am pretty sure it was from this forum (or scorereviews anyway) and it's BRILLIANT! shocked

ERIK WOODS DID!

I'm a huge supporter of this score and made my Top 10 list in 2001 and I think it's on my Top 10 of the decade! Brilliant score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet! Thanks mate, it really is a very big surprise for me; such a grand, masterful and mind-blowing orchestral / choral fanfare and i am so glad i got to discover it through your recommendation!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008 edited
    NP Roar! - Cloverfield Overture (Michael Giacchino)
    The film doesn´t need music at all, but damn, this theme is good. Listening it one can only imagine how the score would have been had the movie been more conventional. But at least we have this seven minutes. Better than nothing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I remember highly recommending Pavillion of Women also, though I haven't listened to it in a long time. Too long - I'm going to give it a spin tonight, I think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - Rambo

Oh my God, i just noticed that the last part of "Searching For Missionaries" and the whole "hunting mercenaries" sounds like Tyler's "300". And then the never-ending underscore........ :sigh:
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER - Rambo

Oh my God, i just noticed that the last part of "Searching For Missionaries" and the whole "hunting mercenaries" sounds like Tyler's "300". And then the never-ending underscore........ :sigh:

Tyler's 300 or Goldenthal's 300? wink

It is awful, isn't it?

NP: Rambo III - Jerry Goldsmith

Superb. Not as action packed as Part II but still impressive. Beats the pants off Tyler's score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tyler's. Yeah, i have to agree that is PLAIN bad. Very, very bad.
  1. question, does everybody here hate 300? I find it a cool and enjoyable album that functions wonderfully with the film.

Okay the rips are shameless but at least they work in context
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Enchanted - Menken

A delight. One of my favourite albums of 2007.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    question, does everybody here hate 300? I find it a cool and enjoyable album that functions wonderfully with the film.

It might work... most temp tracks do... but that's the problem. It's someone else's work. If I want to hear Titus I will pull out my Titus CD. I don't want to hear a second rate knock off.

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    question, does everybody here hate 300? I find it a cool and enjoyable album that functions wonderfully with the film.

It might work... most temp tracks do... but that's the problem. It's someone else's work. If I want to hear Titus I will pull out my Titus CD. I don't want to hear a second rate knock off.

-Erik-

That I understand, but considering I grew up with James Horner I always commented on the fact that it was stealing but always said, okay that's it and I'll appreciate it for what it does.

With 300 as any other score I do the same, that's why I like it I asume
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

-Erik-

That I understand, but considering I grew up with James Horner I always commented on the fact that it was stealing but always said, okay that's it and I'll appreciate it for what it does.

I can't do that. With the amount of music I've heard it really starts to get annoying! I can't support laziness.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Well, the clear (if anything like that, really) Tyler parts with the heavily distorted electric guitars, pounding percussion, tight rhythms and heavy ethnic elements are quite enjoyable indeed and work marvels in the movie but as soon as ALL those rips kick in - which they do constantly, here goes my enjoyment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Last Valley - John Barry

This is the Intrada release of John Barry's classic. Oh man, the 10th track - "The Last Valley" - absolutely melts my heart. One of the most beautiful themes ever written. The rest of the score is dynamite as well. The low male chorus, the low brass, the angelic female choir, the themes... it's all Barry GOLD! This is a great release of the LP presentation and is a wonderful companion album to the complete re-recording released on Silva. This is one of the best choral scores ever composed!

-Erik-
  3. Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

-Erik-

I once introduced the situation to some music students by asking them to identify which was the knock-off by the less experienced-orchestra writer, and played the first 30 seconds. It took one listen for them to pick the Goldenthal as the better composition. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, that's pretty evident to anyone imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

First of all, I absolutely hate the film. A slow, dull, pretentious, self-important, messy, endless film that I will NEVER watch again. However, Zimmer's hypnotic and meditative score is excellent.

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote

First of all, I absolutely hate the film. A slow, dull, pretentious, self-important, messy, endless film that I will NEVER watch again. However, Zimmer's hypnotic and meditative score is excellent.

-Erik-

Ah... alas. So sad to see a soul go through this life unrepentant. A film like this can change your life. wink

NP: L'ENFER (Denis Tanovic) (aka HELL)

Angry, emotionally dark score for second film in the trilogy of HEAVEN, HELL and PURGATORY. Wonder who will make the last?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ah... alas. So sad to see a soul go through this life unrepentant. A film like this can change your life. wink

It did. I got a nice 45 minute power nap in and vowed never to see it again! It has also saved me from putting my fist through the TV if I ever HAD to watch it again. So, you see, I save myself from breaking my hand and replacing my TV. Thanks The Thin Red Line.

-Erik-
  5. Not quite. The first viewing could save you breaking your TV on a second, because if the first had never happened, the second would be the first, and you'd be saying it about that viewing. dizzy

This household application of the temporal paradox theory was brought to you by franz_conrad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And the whiskey you were so obviously been drinking, was brought to you by Johnny Walker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Not quite. The first viewing could save you breaking your TV on a second, because if the first had never happened, the second would be the first, and you'd be saying it about that viewing. dizzy

This household application of the temporal paradox theory was brought to you by franz_conrad

Anyway... THE MOVIE STILL SUCKS LARGE!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marselus wrote
    The film doesn´t need music at all, but damn, this theme is good. Listening it one can only imagine how the score would have been had the movie been more conventional. But at least we have this seven minutes. Better than nothing.

From where??
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

First of all, I absolutely hate the film.

Ahhh... one of my top three favourite films of all time.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Well, aside the rips, the rest of the "original" stuff is just awful. confused
    Sounds like Tyler Bates is the kind of guy Hollywood is going like because of his ability to provide a score which vaguely sounds like others too well-known.
    A sort of yesman...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    msia2k75 wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Well, aside the rips, the rest of the "original" stuff is just awful. confused
    Sounds like Tyler Bates is the kind of guy Hollywood is going like because of his ability to provide a score which vaguely sounds like others too well-known.
    A sort of yesman...

Not to bring up a tired subject...but this bothers me...everyone always points out the Goldenthal rips...but do you realize how much the main title and end credit theme "To Victory" is a direct rip from Black Hawk Down?

NP: Independence Day - David Arnold
    After seeing the film on a 114'' screen and too-many-to-count-point-one sound system, I am now finally realizing how amazing this score is.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Marselus wrote

From where??

For the background sounds, it´s recorded directly from the theater during the end credits. But good enough until we can get it properly.

Erik Woods wrote

One of the best films EVER. If only we could see the 6 hour edit.....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Not to bring up a tired subject...but this bothers me...everyone always points out the Goldenthal rips...but do you realize how much the main title and end credit theme "To Victory" is a direct rip from Black Hawk Down

Really?! Soooooooooooo... Goldenthal traveled two years into the future, watched Black Hawk Down, heard the score, fell in love with Zimmer's theme, went back to the past and used the Black Hawk Down theme in his score. Goldenthal is truly amazing!

Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

One of the best films EVER. If only we could see the 6 hour edit.....

One of the worst films ever!!! 6 hour edit? Why would you do that to yourself?

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Not quite. The first viewing could save you breaking your TV on a second, because if the first had never happened, the second would be the first, and you'd be saying it about that viewing. dizzy

Anyway... THE MOVIE STILL SUCKS LARGE!!!

-Erik-

Come now Erik. Everyone has to grow up someday. biggrin

As for the 6 hour edit, I think the film is good as it is. I wouldn't mind seeing the longer version of THE NEW WORLD that played in US cinemas though.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

-Erik-

I can't do that. With the amount of music I've heard it really starts to get annoying! I can't support laziness.

-Erik-

I quite enjoy 300, particularly when the Titus references appear - 'cause it reminds me of Goldenthal's wonderful score. But there is also some worthwhile stuff, too!

NP: Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure - San Cardon

First listen and there's certainly a bit of a Celtic colouring to it with the orchestrations.

I'm enjoying this one more than I did another score of Cardon's, Zion Canyon (I listened to that for the first time yesterday).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn