• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    I'm just very interested in Lions For Lambs right now. Would you say it's better than Isham's many other 2007 efforts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Love Eight Below! Fantastic music in places.
    I have a real soft spot for the film too since I have Max, an Alaskan Malamute (who gets excited watching the film). Max often tries to get inside the screen when animals are on there. He goes nuts during Planet Earth!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LSH wrote
    I'm just very interested in Lions For Lambs right now. Would you say it's better than Isham's many other 2007 efforts?

I like Lionsfor Lambs! Heard it last weekend for the first time and played it several times since then. It has one theme which I really like, first featured in the second track. There's this some kind of captivating low cello (?) melody, which really attracts me. Some standout tracks are Firefight and by Southall mentioned Last Shift. While he thinks it is one of Isham's most defining pieces ever, I think It's just a terrific cue. But hen, i don't know much about Isham. smile

One hings, it's a dark and sometimes quite atmospheric score. But don't let that be a reason to let it go.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Cheers Bregt, I'll be adding this to my Christmas list.

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PETULIA - John Barry

Great evening listen cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Golden Compass (Desplat)

At work. I like the experience of the album overall... it's not really an album where I jump to specific tracks. (Mind you, those segues make it hard to do that anyway.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Savior - David Robbins
    Fucking HELL. shocked
    Yah, I'm a sucker for that Balkan sound, but this score contains gold.
    I mean, FUCKING hell!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Told ya, Martijn. wink

Rasti Rasti and The Chase are just plain *amazing*.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You were NOT wrong, Pawel. You were NOT wrong.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote
    Savior - David Robbins
    Fucking HELL. shocked
    I mean, FUCKING hell!

I remember this score being discussed some time ago - and it was reported in glowing terms then too. Isn't it quite a short score that had - at the time - some limited release?

NP: Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

I definitely fall into the camp that thinks that this score rocks! It's great to have these themes in great sound quality.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Savior - David Robbins
    Fucking HELL. shocked
    I mean, FUCKING hell!

I remember this score being discussed some time ago - and it was reported in glowing terms then too. Isn't it quite a short score that had - at the time - some limited release?

Quite short, but not limited: it's downloadable.
    Beautiful, moody stuff.
    Quite dark, but some melodic and harmonic lines that just make my jaw drop.
    This is one that's gonna get a LOT of play over the next few months (as if those short, dark, cold days weren't melancholic enough... biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Savior - David Robbins
    Fucking HELL. shocked
    I mean, FUCKING hell!

Among those few rare cases where I really noticed a great score during a first viewing of a film.

And I STILL don't own it yet! shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I haven't seen the film yet (I want to, though), but I fell in love with it instantly when I happened to hear the samples by accident when looking for some Balkan scores, other than Peacemaker, obviously.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Bregt wrote
    LSH wrote

I like Lionsfor Lambs! Heard it last weekend for the first time and played it several times since then. It has one theme which I really like, first featured in the second track. There's this some kind of captivating low cello (?) melody, which really attracts me. Some standout tracks are Firefight and by Southall mentioned Last Shift. While he thinks it is one of Isham's most defining pieces ever, I think It's just a terrific cue. But hen, i don't know much about Isham. smile

One hings, it's a dark and sometimes quite atmospheric score. But don't let that be a reason to let it go.

I might have to check this one out. The only one of Isham's many scores from this year that I've heard is Gracie. It didn't exactly leave a good taste in my mouth.

NP: Cast Away - Alan Silvestri

This is actually the first time I've listened to this. I've had it for a while, just never played it. The theme is great; I can see why so many people like it. Although if I were to hear it without knowing what it was, I would instantly think it was by Thomas Newman.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I haven't seen the film yet (I want to, though), but I fell in love with it instantly when I happened to hear the samples by accident when looking for some Balkan scores, other than Peacemaker, obviously.

It's a good film IMO, be warned though Pawel, it's very harsh and violent in a realistic way, which is not surprising considering it's subject matter.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    LSH wrote

I think it is his best this year - the most memorable one anyway. The other ones are low key and they are worth a listen but nothing that grabs you and say wow like a few excellent cues on Lion for Lambs. I would go with older scores by Isham if you don't have those already. In the same vein as Racing Stripes and Eight Below, you might try to find Fly Away Home. Last year's The Black Dahlia is a sure winner for me, if you like jazzy noir film scores. The Disney hockey movieMiracle has some quite exciting action cues for brass and snare. Dividing it in 4 longer suites wasn't a great idea yet the music is very emotional in parts.

NP Dangerous Beauty George Fenton
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll be having my full review for LIONS FOR LAMBS coming in later today; it's dark and off-beat but particularly captivating and effective, same goes for IN THE VALLEY OF ELLAH, Isham's 2 best scores for this year. Gracie is very, very influenced by Thomas Newman's American Beauty; a nice little score but nothing important. Bobby is here .

[edited to add] http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … am/#Item_2
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL | Final Fantasy: the spirits within

Easily one of the top-20 film scores, ever, imo. This work is simply phenomenal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Changed to a far more accessible but notably inferior Goldenthal work, INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE. Still hugely enjoyable though and it's always fun to listen to all the direct influences from this, into Zimmer's HANNIBAL, THE RING and parts of DA VINCI CODE wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Changed to a far more accessible but notably inferior Goldenthal work, INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE.

I don't really like it when Interview is referred to as "inferior", even next to something like Final Fantasy tongue To me, it's the Goldenthal work that got me into him, and a brilliant piece of work, ranging from demented, darkly romantic, tragic and thrilling. punk But "enjoyable" and "fun" will do then wink
  5. BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Changed to a far more accessible but notably inferior Goldenthal work, INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE.

I don't really like it when Interview is referred to as "inferior", even next to something like Final Fantasy tongue To me, it's the Goldenthal work that got me into him, and a brilliant piece of work, ranging from demented, darkly romantic, tragic and thrilling. punk But "enjoyable" and "fun" will do then wink

Must admit, I will occasionally go with INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE as well, though I do greatly admire FINAL FANTASY. There's some magnificent stuff in both. (Strangely enough, my own favourite Goldenthal tends more to COBB, ALIEN3 and HEAT.)

franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Golden Compass (Desplat)

At work. I like the experience of the album overall... it's not really an album where I jump to specific tracks. (Mind you, those segues make it hard to do that anyway.)

I seem to discover more details in this one every time. I do love his two-voice writing, frequently on display here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Changed to a far more accessible but notably inferior Goldenthal work, INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE. Still hugely enjoyable though and it's always fun to listen to all the direct influences from this, into Zimmer's HANNIBAL, THE RING and parts of DA VINCI CODE wink

Yes, I was dissapointed with Interview too, It's more simple than other Goldenthal scores. But maybe more effective and less intrusive in the movie.

I still prefer Zimmer's version of this work biggrin

NP: PS I love You (20 minuts)

Typical powell.Tender, charming and touching.

Good addition for Christmas feeling!

( But I can't believe the "million dollar baby" and "boy's dont cry" girl is doing a romantic comedy! )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - partition

It's been over 6 months i last listened to this and i now seem to like it way more than when i initially heard it as somewhat of a Children of Dune II. It is very influenced by the afore-mentioned for sure but it's also very subtle and touching in places and the main theme is simply gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    NURSE BETTY | rolfe kent

Saw this one surprisingly at the library. This score has the cutest theme since the invention of cute themes! Extremely addicting and soo head stucky memorable, it will make you feel cosy for daaays! The score has that Spanglish/The Holiday kinda feeling, with focus on the woodwinds, trings and soft warm passages of piano and harp. Lovely! Mind you, there are dark passages as well, in a quirky way.

Matt (Scribe), this is one or your girl too. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Sorry D but this is NOT an inferior work, as a stand alone listen I'll take "Fantasy" every time but "Interview" works perfectly for the film it was written for.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And speaking of Goldenthal....

NP : SPHERE - Elliot Goldenthal

One of his more easily digestable scores ( at least on album ) cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh it is; in every aspect, when compared with the grandeur of FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN, MICHAEL COLLINS and his concert works for OTHELLO and FIRE, WATER, PAPER: a Vietnam Oratorio. Elliot pushed the envelope to far greater limits with the afore-mentioned, especially FINAL FANTASY : THE SPIRITS WITHIN; Richer instrumentation and huge plethora of playing techniques, way fuller and bolder sound, variety in the thematic material, extreme experimentation on the limits between tonic spectral and atonal, well-crafted dissonance and mind-blowing arrangements just to name few of the "extra" traits found in these work, again especially in FINAL FANTASY. This doesn't mean Interview with a Vampire is not enjoyable or "fun" or anything - and i quite like it too, but as a composition it's inferior.

n.p. BRUNO COULAIS - Himalaya

To date, this remains one of the most beautiful ethnic scores i've ever heard. It's just unbelievably brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Changed to BRUNO COULAIS - Belphegor

Twisted dark and middle-eastern, primeval and raw, this is one of the most interesting mixtures of the orchestra with middle-eastern instruments and vocals i've ever heard! It's a very difficult listen for many and i know this, but i simply adore it, when i'm in the mood!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Pirates Suites

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow..I was really worried...

It ROCKS!!!!

Beckett Stuff is a little bit out of place for this adventure, but Im happy to see Zimmer back to his Pecemaker-Prokoviev Sound!!!!

Hoist the Colours, Just Good Business and Lord Of Singapore has the best Action music ever penned by Zimmer!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Pirates Suites

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow..I was really worried...

It ROCKS!!!!

Beckett Stuff is a little bit out of place for this adventure, but Im happy to see Zimmer back to his Pecemaker-Prokoviev Sound!!!!

Hoist the Colours, Just Good Business and Lord Of Singapore has the best Action music ever penned by Zimmer!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!