• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Well I'll probably check it out after hearing AVPR.

You haven´t listened AVPR yet? angry

And don´t miss Rambo, with Tyler using Sean Callery´s "Palmer´s Theme" from "24". Hilarious.

No, I HAVE heard AVPR. I should have said that better - after heaing AVPR, it has convinced me to give Tyler another try. Now you've mentioned the sheer word "24" I'm going to check it out. wink
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

And don´t miss Rambo, with Tyler using Sean Callery´s "Palmer´s Theme" from "24". Hilarious.

Is this serious?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Rambo (Brian Tyler)

First proper listen and all I have to say I´m shocked again with Tyler´s work. Impressive action tracks full of his trademarks ("No Rules of Engagement" is to Rambo what "Decimation Proclamation" was to AVP:R), heavy percussion and ethnic elements. And as he did with AVP:R he does not overuses Goldsmith material but bases the score on his own material with Goldsmith´s (and Callery´s) references here and there.
    We have the first big action score of the year here. My hope is that in the movie the music is better mixed than in AVP:R, where it was almost impossible to appreciate.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    msia2k75 wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Is this serious?

Totally.
  1. Can you please reference the exact time of it's appearance in Tyler's score? I wonder if you don't mean an Aaron Copland reference here... Which is a direct Goldsmith homage in Tyler's work - Goldsmith included Coplandesque motifs in each of his Rambo scores, especially the first one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Can you please reference the exact time of it's appearance in Tyler's score? I wonder if you don't mean an Aaron Copland reference here... Which is a direct Goldsmith homage in Tyler's work - Goldsmith included Coplandesque motifs in each of his Rambo scores, especially the first one.

It appears through the score plenty of times, for example:

"No Rules of Engagement": 1:58 - 2:09
    "Aftermath": 0:10 - 0:22

Compare it with "Palmer´s Theme" (Sean Callery): 0:01 - 0:12
  2. Oh crap, you're right, but Tyler makes it actually sound MV biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I know what you mean about the MV similarity. That theme could easily be from The Last Samurai or something.
  3. Generally Zimmer is pretty important influence - Beyond Rangoon, almost Transformers-like theme (though much better and more ambitious of course, there is nothing as brainless as Transformers), some of the action music.

As I said it's more Zimmer than Goldsmith in the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I say, pook that score.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    All these comparisons to Zimmer and Transformers and Batman Begins make me very excited for this score. (I'm not going to listen to it until I can hear it in full CD quality).
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The Spiderwick Chronicles - Horner

I've heard it several times now so I've gotten past the initial feelings of awe, surprise, dissapointment, joy and the other various emotions I experienced when I first heard this Horner fantasy score.

Now I just listen and love it for what it is. An imperfect but wonderful album written in the classic Horner style I missed so much. I know it's not very original in places (I know the borrowed themes) but there are so many moments that fire my rockets here! Stunning stuff!

Wecome back James. I missed you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Island - Jablonsky
    Really loud in 5.1!
    I just love what Jablonsky comes up with when he's working with Bay. Such a perfect fusion of ultra-modern pop/rock sound with the over-the-top emotional drama of classic Zimmerisms.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    Scribe wrote
    All these comparisons to Zimmer and Transformers and Batman Begins make me very excited for this score. (I'm not going to listen to it until I can hear it in full CD quality).

Oh, it's a billion times better than either of those. Probably not as entertaining as AVP2 though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008 edited
    For respect to Marselus and Demetris I promise I will keep my mouth closed about my thoughts about Tyler's Rambo.

You can read what I think some pages ago here, or in any AVPR commentary done for me. ( i muss confess thanks to be a little bit more thematic, and thanks to the ethnic arrengements, Rambo is far more enjoyable than AVPR)

NP:Rambo III (GOldsmith)

This is what the character deserves. Heroic, Honorable, Solitary....And reflexive. You don't need fireworks to compose good action tracks.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Nautilus wrote
    For respect to Marselus and Demetris I promise I will keep my mouth closed about my thoughts about Tyler's Rambo.

Well havent you expressed them already? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    msia2k75 wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Well havent you expressed them already? tongue

Yeah, but I will not insist tongue

NP:The Da Vinci COde

Why this score is not so acclaimed than The Passion of Christ??? Just because is from Zimmer.

In my opinion this score is one of the most beauty and one of the best scores of the last 20 years. (well if i talk in an objective way, being subjective is one of my all time favourites)

listen Ad arcana, poisoned chalice and Rose of Arimathea while you are visiting some churc in Rome is an experience that everyone must have!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote
    listen Ad arcana, poisoned chalice and Rose of Arimathea while you are visiting some churc in Rome is an experience that everyone must have!

Or... you don't treat such a sacred building with headphones on slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    wink
    BobdH wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Or... you don't treat such a sacred building with headphones on slant

Why not? Is better listen in the background people talking in 6 diferent languages?

Anyway, When I do this I always listen "atmospheric" music, so I can hear what happens around me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote
    Why not? Is better listen in the background people talking in 6 diferent languages?

Well, it's not respectful, but it's mainly an unwritten rule of courtesy. Also because other people will hear some of the noise coming from your headphones, which is hard to avoid (especially with Zimmers sudden crescendo's). And you're secluded from your environment, whereas a church is an open place. I much prefer the silence, sound of whispers and often impressive accoustics of such an old and big building, anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    BobdH wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Well, it's not respectful, but it's mainly an unwritten rule of courtesy. .

Im not listening progressive in the church and Im sure the other people don't hear what Im listening.

In my country it's just a rule of courtesy if Im with some friend, some familiar...

Anyway....Ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Ohh come on, don´t be shy tongue
    Elaborate your criticism so we can counter attack (where do I get the shotgun emoticon?).

Nautilus wrote
    NP:Rambo III (GOldsmith)

This is what the character deserves. Heroic, Honorable, Solitary....And reflexive. You don't need fireworks to compose good action tracks.

Have we listened different scores or what? Because in Tyler´s Rambo I can hear all the elements you mention:
    -Heroic: "Hunting Mercenaries", "Rambo Takes Charge"
    -Honorable: "The Call to War", "Battle Adagio"
    -Solitary: "The Village" and many of the arrangements of Rambo´s Theme (the NEW Rambo theme by Tyler I mean).
    -Refelxive: very related to Solitary, so again, many of the new Rambo´s Theme arrangements and even the secondary theme (the one ripped from "24").

On the other hand, describe "fireworks" please. If by "fireworks" you mean big, loud and Tyleresque action tracks like "No Rules of Engagement", "Hunting Mercenaries" or the amazing percussion based "The Compound", then give me fireworks anyday in a score for an action movie.
    I think these fireworks you mention are totally compensated for the "Solitary", "Honorable" and "Reflexive" moments I´ve mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    NP: The Island - Jablonsky
    Really loud in 5.1!

Really loud in 7.1 and the man rules indeed! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Marselus wrote
    Elaborate your criticism so we can counter attack (where do I get the shotgun emoticon?).

Use the word 'kill' between :
    Just like others. wink

BobdH wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Well, it's not respectful, but it's mainly an unwritten rule of courtesy. Also because other people will hear some of the noise coming from your headphones, which is hard to avoid (especially with Zimmers sudden crescendo's). And you're secluded from your environment, whereas a church is an open place. I much prefer the silence, sound of whispers and often impressive accoustics of such an old and big building, anyway.

I agree on the whispering and echo's that such places bring up. But I think music can also (if it does not disturb other people) make more impact to the visit itself. And it would be even better if it was gregorian chants or so. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    Marselus wrote

Use the word 'kill' between :
    Just like others. wink

Thanks shame kill kill kill

Yeah it works biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARCO BELTRAMI - 3:10 to Yuma

Quite enjoyable and at places heartwarmingly melodic. Not quite sure if Oscar worthy though, but quite good nevertheless.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DARK HALF - Christopher Young

Very chilling, atmospheric album topped off with that achingly gorgeous but spooky theme in all it's glory in the final track, it's worth getting the album for this one piece alone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

With all this Supes talk going on I couldn't help but stick on the original soundtrack punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - Rambo

Better than AVP:R ? Not a chance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER - Rambo

Better than AVP:R ? Not a chance.