• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    Uncharted! Great game, it has a story a certain man with a hat would be jealous of. Overall fantastic voice acting and animation. The gameplay is fun and challenging.

Motorstorm! I remember when it was being hyped I couldn't believe such a awesome looking racer... It plays good but sadly I've not touched it for months. I will pick it up again though. The sequel doesn't look all that much better compared to this one IMO, apart for the exotic environments.

The Orange Box. Oh man you don't like Half-Life 2? I bought it on the PC 4 years and it remains stunning. And you've missed the completely fantastic Portal? Hide in shame Talos !!! angry

Metal Gear Solid 4: I don't think this is the best game in the series, but it's definitely the best looking... Superbly orchestrated cutscenes help make the sometimes questionable storyline entertaining. I like how all characters you know from the past games make an appearance and how the story provides closure, but for me the best stories in the series are found in the first game and the third, I prefer the emotional aspect found in those.

Oblivion: I've played about 140 hours with this one on the PC before becoming immensely bored with it. Longest I ever held out in any videogame. Never finished the main storyline. This game is just too bloody big! I'm itching to replay it though, if only to play the main story and to know how it ends.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    Apparently there's an expansion pack to Portal out today with 15 more levels? Has anyone looked into/got any more info on it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Apparently there's an expansion pack to Portal out today with 15 more levels? Has anyone looked into/got any more info on it?

As far as i know, it isn't really an expansion pack, but more a re-release of the game on xbox plus those extra few levels. From what I've read, the game is great for people who never played it, but poses little to no challenge to people who've already played through the game.

If you own the game on PC, I could suggest trying the free mod Portal: Prelude, which - from what i hear - is *very* difficult and a lot more fun than the new "expansion".
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    The only game I play with any regularity is FIFA soccer on my PS2.
  1. Which version?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. FIFA 08, until FIFA 09 comes out
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008
    Thanks DreamTheater for the comments. I actually only just started playing Oblivion (only level 3 so far, Breton race) To be honest I find the game often very hard, even in the lower levels, although I have been playing games since 1985… can’t imagine how a newbie can kill one of the early bosses like Naelynn… I still can’t kill her. And its one of the first quests you get?! Of course its all open ended, so I save this quest for later on. When I have some more spells, like command creature and such.

Other games that I played extremely often on the PC are: Age of Mythology (play with the Norse race) Total War Rome, Counterstrike, a mod of Counterstrike (day of defeat, that one was great) and the original multiplayer Half-life back in the late 90’s.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    They're making a Sims 3! SIMS 3!!! cry
  3. Talos wrote
    Thanks DreamTheater for the comments. I actually only just started playing Oblivion (only level 3 so far, Breton race) To be honest I find the game often very hard, even in the lower levels, although I have been playing games since 1985… can’t imagine how a newbie can kill one of the early bosses like Naelynn… I still can’t kill her. And its one of the first quests you get?! Of course its all open ended, so I save this quest for later on. When I have some more spells, like command creature and such.

It depends on what character you choose to play of course, but I took a Dark Elf, and had no major problems, but then I made sure I had enough health and potions, and when it got a little nasty I would flee, so I could regenerate my health like a coward. And I would always use the same combination of attacks and use the same kinds of weapons and armor. I had a good time with it but after 140 hours of sidequests, a part of the main story, and a whole lot of exploring / fooling around I was already levelled to the max and I got quickly bored with it. Still, there's a good chance I might just play it again, if only for the main story.

That said the game won't get any easier if you're levelling up because the whole world levels up with you. So good luck, you still have a long way to go. If you ever get to the end that is.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Anthony wrote

And Jablonsky's scoring it! JABLONSKY!!! vomit
  5. THAT's personal, guys biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote

And Jablonsky's scoring it! JABLONSKY!!! vomit

Sims and RC...my weekend couldn't possibly be better.

vomit
  6. Finally started Crysis Warhead, I'm dumbstruck my PC is able to handle this extremely well with all bells and whistles turned on: I mean the game looks abso-fraking-lutely BEAUTIFUL. But then so did Crysis, but for that I had to do some major tweaking, Warhead plays and looks good right out of the box. Amazing job well done, Crytek. Another thing: I like how they immediately thrust you right into the action, the first level is already WHAM BHAM THANK YOU MAM!!!! Right now in the 2nd level, during the bit with the APC following the jeep. Here I have some slight slowdown and hickups, what with all the destruction going on, and amazing scenery that needs drawing. I'm enjoying it immensely, hoping it won't end soon...

Oh and I've bought Far Cry 2, doubt this will run as well on my current rig. It's a great time for FPS fans.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh and I've bought Far Cry 2, doubt this will run as well on my current rig. It's a great time for FPS fans.

Far Cry 2 is using a completely different engine than Crysis...and it actually looks quite...ugly. You need half the system resources to run FC2 than you do Crysis, so if you can run the latter fine then the former is a shoe in.
  7. Well I had to tone down my settings during the first ice level, the game was busy eating my PC for lunch... But what a spectacle it is!!

I couldn't imagine Far Cry 2 looking worse (I mean less fantastic) than Crysis though, we'll see soon enough.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm just looking at screenshots of the original Far Cry...wow, I remember back in the day when this was the stuff! cool biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i have it, i haven't played it yet. Is it any good?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Far Cry 1 or 2?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
  8. it gets around 8/10 on all major review sites... so it's far from being bad.

That said, I don't think it'll top the original Far Cry though, because that was already a technical tour de force and one very long fantastic, first person action-thriller. Number 2 is much more open ended, I'm guessing it has more in common with Stalker, but better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008
    Regarding open ended game play... what I like about Oblivion (and also in Far Cry II if I'm correct) is that you can go anywhere you want. In most games you have to follow a certain path, or you can only stray 10 meters or so from the path. Then its "blocked" by some cliffs or something. But Oblivion is different... like yesterday... I got on my horse (in the game that is) and just thought, heck let me get of this path and go into the forest right here... you can then just go into a forest and keep on going and going. Seeing some deers and stuff... even sometimes discovering ruins, queer villages and caves and such. Once in a while some wild animal (e.g. wolf) will attack you... its fun. Of course you must love this kind of game... some might it find it boring. But I like it a lot.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Far Cry 2 is similar. It's good, but not great. The HUGE map is fun, but it still feels quite linear, and like most open ended games, in a lot of places there's NOTHING to do. The shooting is quite weak too, and it almost seems like a half FPS/RPG.

Still play it though as it is good fun. smile wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks, will check it out.

Is the new FALLOUT on pc any good?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's meant to be very good, but it's not my type of game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which is?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Shooter, not RPG.
  9. Talos wrote
    Regarding open ended game play... what I like about Oblivion (and also in Far Cry II if I'm correct) is that you can go anywhere you want. In most games you have to follow a certain path, or you can only stray 10 meters or so from the path. Then its "blocked" by some cliffs or something. But Oblivion is different... like yesterday... I got on my horse (in the game that is) and just thought, heck let me get of this path and go into the forest right here... you can then just go into a forest and keep on going and going. Seeing some deers and stuff... even sometimes discovering ruins, queer villages and caves and such. Once in a while some wild animal (e.g. wolf) will attack you... its fun. Of course you must love this kind of game... some might it find it boring. But I like it a lot.

Ha I know what you mean... it's how I got to 140 hours of game time dizzy

You can literally get lost in the world, and exploring and discovering, and raiding caves for treasure is part of the fun. But repeating the whole process over and over again got a little boring after a while if you know what I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    If the exploring part was the only thing you could do and very linear quests, then it is indeed boring... but like yesterday I completed one quest;... I had to find some special item in a cave and then give it to some guy who send me on this quest. After I slew a bunch of monsters I obtained the special item (sword)... and then thought... well... lets NOT bring it back to that guy, but give it to an official... since its such an important item, perhaps I get a reward or something. (the item itself was 1000 gold worth)... so then I gave it to an official and tadaa... big reward (some special shield he gave me, worth more than 4000 gold) But now I guess the other guy will hate me and do something nasty... hahaha lets see what happens. That's what I like, you can choose so many different directions in the story. You can really choose what type of person you can become... an honest one, a sneaky one... etc etc.

btw... this Friday... I will get LittleBigPlanet!
  10. There's a third option, keep the item and use its power for yourself... If you think about it Oblivion is all about choices, dilemmas and how those affect you in the game world. It really is a RPG in the strictest sense and a looker as well. Man I really should install it again... and complete it once and for all. But I will NOT and I mean NEVER put a foot again in those dreaded portal worlds, man that was a chore to get all those gates closed. I think I lost about 100 hours of my life in those, it was insane.

Regarding Warhead, I use CCC's tweak config I have installed for Crysis and lo and behold, I've got a nice performance boost without any decrease in quality. Game time soon. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Regarding Warhead, I use CCC's tweak config I have installed for Crysis and lo and behold, I've got a nice performance boost without any decrease in quality. Game time soon. punk

I couldn't get CCC to work properly with Warhead. I got lots of weird artifacts on screen due to the new lighting system. I made my own custom config anyway, but I'd be very happy if Cuban made another!