• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well it does actually, they just can't repair the shitty way it was constructed. If the foundation of a building is pants, it's only a matter of time before it comes crumbling down...

Anyway, good to see yours held out for a whopping 2.5 years. That's a minority. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010
    I wanted to ask the experts:

Is it true that the xbox360 has better graphics than ps3? All ign, gamespot and the lot reviews i've read, seem to imply so. Is this biased shit, or reality?
    Also, is it true that the xbox360 suffers a lot from technical problems? Any personal experience? From what i've seen with the ps3, it's not strong either...my brother threw away his 2 year old ps3 a couple of months back, and got a new one, which i figure at the rate of play-time he spends on it, will be fried in a couple of years' time too. Any thoughts from personal experiences?

Thanks!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    About technical problems, yes, the Xbox360 has known its share. They are solved though for the most part, since they came out with revised hardware (HDMI port for instance), but the PS3 is still accepted to be more stable.

About the graphics: let's just say they are very very close. Thing is that the PS3 is a lot harder to program for, so in general games are more polished on the Xbox. However, the PS3 has the advantage of Bluray discs, which allows for better graphics (or rather higher resolution textures). But as I said, it's barely noticeable.

My advise is that you pick the platform that has the games that you like most; and whichever your friends have. It's fun to play online with them. But you're from Greece, right? Be wary with the Microsoft Xbox LIVE network, which is not available in your country AFAIK, which limits a whole piece of the experience. Ridiculous! I'm not entirely sure whether it also limits online play, but that is payable nonetheless; so if that's what you really want, the PS3 is the way to go (which has it for free).
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, but i was never really into the online gaming thingy...not that i won't like it, rather the contrary, i.e. it'll be too time-consuming. I was thinking about single player fun which has always been my slice of fun in games so far, and good graphics vs good performance (i remember reading than ps3 general lags more on new games in comparison to the same games on xbox360 or is that just a myth)?. Also, i seem to remember reading someone that, ahem, xbox360, is...hm.....hack/crackable, whilst i am sure ps3 isn't?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    The Xbox is hackable, yes, but Microsoft has its ways of discovering it, and then slaying the banhammer on your console so that it'll never work online again. But it's all hardware mods; and probably you want it under warranty. wink

And don't believe everything you read; the internet is full of fan-boys. If the PS3 has lag, then my Xbox has framerate issues on big areas with lots of enemies. Honestly, the difference is really minimal. Pick what your friends have (borrowing games), which games/exclusives and features attract you most. Don't pick 'coz it's better according to the internet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is it offline hackable too? I mean, not to play online, but to play copied offline games.

Not that i care in anyway. A friend of mine knows someone who knows someone else who might be interested.

Yeah, you heard me. wink
  2. Mini Ninjas on the Wii.

shame

I persuaded David to buy this with his Christmas money. The whole family is enjoying this one: though David is much preferring Up (which looks bad - even by my standards!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Batman Arkham Asylum: A spectacular action-combat game with some puzzles and platforming thrown in. Now this portrays Batman as I like him: inspired by the DC comics, with gadgets and great moves aplenty, set in a huge prison complex controlled by the Joker and his henchmen, and featuring a cool set of baddies straight out of the comic books and with some twisted surprises awaiting the player. I'm not lying, this game has one instant where you might think there's something seriously wrong with your PC. The combat is fantastic to watch and controls are tight and ultra-responsive. But the thing that will keep the player most occupied are The Riddler's challenges: a kind of spot the hidden objective by analysing the cryptic descriptions. The game is really pick-up and play friendly and the voice acting is wonderful: done by none other than the same people behind the animated Batman series (featuring among others Kevin Conroy as Bats, a totally unrecognizable Mark Hamill as The Joker and Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn). The graphical style has more in common with Burton's Batman films than Nolan's so that's a big plus where I'm concerned. Totally recommended (PC version).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm not lying, this game has one instant where you might think there's something seriously wrong with your PC.

You should check out the graphic novel on which it's based.
    I swear there's something wrong with the creators! spin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know, but i was never really into the online gaming thingy...not that i won't like it, rather the contrary, i.e. it'll be too time-consuming. I was thinking about single player fun which has always been my slice of fun in games so far, and good graphics vs good performance (i remember reading than ps3 general lags more on new games in comparison to the same games on xbox360 or is that just a myth)?. Also, i seem to remember reading someone that, ahem, xbox360, is...hm.....hack/crackable, whilst i am sure ps3 isn't?

I recently got an Xbox and am very pleased. I think in terms of specs there are really very few differences between it and a PS3. I was swayed towards the Xbox because it was far cheaper, but it is apparently rather prone to breaking. (No problems yet.)
  4. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm not lying, this game has one instant where you might think there's something seriously wrong with your PC.

You should check out the graphic novel on which it's based.
    I swear there's something wrong with the creators! spin

You've intrigued me. Is that available on-line somewhere?

Southall wrote
    I recently got an Xbox and am very pleased. I think in terms of specs there are really very few differences between it and a PS3. I was swayed towards the Xbox because it was far cheaper, but it is apparently rather prone to breaking. (No problems yet.)

Make sure you don't make my mistake of putting it somewhere where the massive heat can't get out, and you should be fine. Don't quote me on that however. Also you will eventually get used to the loud noise it makes when a disc is spinning in the drive. I recommend before playing a game to copy the disc onto the hard drive. It still needs the disc but it won't have to spin anymore, as it's being streamed directly from the hard drive. But I know for a fact that Halo 3 runs slower when you do that. Most games run better though.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    i play at the moment CALL OF JUAREZ. it's a nice western first person shooter with a really good story. the presentation is great.
  5. Which one? Bound in Blood or the first? Personally I prefer the first, but I agree the presentation in the second is stunning indeed. You can almost feel the scorching heat and blowing dust when traversing the huge levels.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    DreamTheater wrote
    Which one? Bound in Blood or the first? Personally I prefer the first, but I agree the presentation in the second is stunning indeed. You can almost feel the scorching heat and blowing dust when traversing the huge levels.

the first one. i play the german version. the dubbing is great, the music is perfect, the levels are really good. i like the whole presentation, the western feeling. i like first or third person shooter with a good story more then only multiplayer shooter. when i have finished the first one i will buy the second part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The price and the fact that you can also play, erm, pirated games, is what intrigues more.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Somehow Microsoft can tell if you get a mod chip and prevent you from playing online.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010 edited
    What about offline? That works ok, right? Single player gaming via mod chip.
  6. While I modded my first generation Xbox, not for pirating games but as as an awesome media center and emulator for all sorts of gaming systems, I will not do so for the 360. I used to think because it could be done that I should... Not anymore. Besides I prefer buying my games and getting the discs out of the boxes and stuff. I'm oldfashioned and terribly materialistic in that way. shame

Besides doesn't the 360 need to connect to the internet to retrieve the gaming profile from Live, so that you can start playing?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    What about offline? That works ok, right? Single player gaming via mod chip.

Yup.

DreamTheater wrote
    Besides doesn't the 360 need to connect to the internet to retrieve the gaming profile from Live, so that you can start playing?

Nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, i prefer the original games too. But they're too darn expensive and i can't spare any such money at the point.
  7. Like Cypher says in The Matrix: "Ignorance is bliss."

And he's right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmm.......care to elaborate?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Check out Spec Ops: The Line. Looks pretty good. And it's immediately caught my attention by being set in Dubai.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Hmm.......care to elaborate?

I was commenting on Anthony because he told me something I wasn't aware of. And it's something I almost didn't want to know for some strange reason. Nah I was just thinking out loud. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    Borderlands

It´s been ages since I´ve been so addicted to a game (I´ve spent nights ´til 5 am playing). This is a FPS with elements of role playing game (you know: level-ups, more abilities, main missions, side missions, experience, more and more powerful weapons) with a very cool comic book look. Easy to play, easy to get used to the abilities and what´s more important: tons and tons of action. Oh, and Chris Velasco´s / Jesper Kyd´s score, although nothing memorable, is really good. Totally recommended!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  9. Is this a Fallout 3 style RPS? (Role Playing Shooter, I just made that up)

Because I'm currently addicted to that. Exploring a devastated Washington after a nuclear holocaust is quite an experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is this a Fallout 3 style RPS? (Role Playing Shooter, I just made that up)

Because I'm currently addicted to that. Exploring a devastated Washington after a nuclear holocaust is quite an experience.

Yes, you could say that, a role playing shooter. If you like this kind of games you just gave birth to wink, you´ll love it. It´s about exploring a planet (called Pandora by the way) while fighting all kind of bandits and creatures. All with a visual style very original and fun to watch.

Check out THIS review.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  10. Exploring has always been one my favourite aspects about gaming. I just go look everywhere and search every nook and cranny, just to find interesting stuff or come across something totally original. That's why I'm always being sidetracked in Fallout 3, because of the immense locales to explore.

I'm sure Borderlands will be right up my alley. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    Ye, but Borderlands is a lot more action-focused; and it's quite hard until you get the hang of the game. I was always loosing, until I found 1) a shield that automatically replenishes health too, and 2) a class mod that gives me ammo while I'm not firing. Once I got those, the game was easy enough to beat. But it was an agreeable adventure. There's also a lot of focus on the multiplayer (you invite them into your game progress and solve quests together -- but harder). I wrote a review for the game (in Dutch) right here. Remember, I give low grades, so it's not as bad as the score looks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    Scientifically proven. Too much video gaming can seriously hurt your health.