• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2008
    Been playing more Crysis...

...that harbor level was so-so. I really liked the first two levels, then the excavation site and the harbor were ok...but this tank battle I'm in now is EPIC! I still hoped the game would just be a few elite commandos on an island causing havoc, but now there's an entire army platoon on it with tanks and jets and everything! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008
    I've practically finished the second half of Crysis from playing it all day today. And what a con that second half was. The alien level SUCKED, the ice level SUCKED, the vtol escape level was merely average, and the carrier level is so bog standard my eyes are bleeding. angry

It's fallen to the same fate as Far Cry. Some amazing initial levels that just boil down to a common piece of meat at the end. rolleyes sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I've practically finished the second half of Crysis from playing it all day today. And what a con that second half was. The alien level SUCKED

Totally agree. I almost left the game in that level. Annoying and boring. Graphically stunning though (the feeling of "ingravity" is great).

Anthony wrote
    It's fallen to the same fate as Far Cry. Some amazing initial levels that just boil down to a common piece of meat at the end. rolleyes sad

Agree too, the game is not the same the moment the aliens become tha stars of the show.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So is it just yet another overhyped, overblown thingy in the end?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    So is it just yet another overhyped, overblown thingy in the end?

Hmm..I wouldn´t say overhyped / overblown, but if I had to choose, I´d pick Medal of Honor Airborne or Call of Duty 4 over Crysis anyday. But, as Anthony says, just for the first half of the game, it is worth playing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I see. CALL OF DUTY 4 is breathtaking, i've been playing it over my brother's PS3 and i was stunned all the time.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2008 edited
    I wouldn't say Crysis is over hyped. The whole idea behind it is great and it's pulled off well.

What I was looking forward to the most was the free-roaming gameplay and kicking the KPA's ass. And for the majority of the game, that's what I got. I knew the alien thing was going to be a bit silly, and sadly it was sillier than I originally thought it would be.

The whole frozen landscape thing was a massive disapointment though. This was portrayed as a whole new game mechanic and such, but it's only featured in one level of the game that lasts about 15 minutes. Even then, it's just bog standard "shoot everything that moves" gameplay.

The free-roaming stuff was what made this game great, and it's obvious that when they take this away (i.e. the alien level and the ice level) the core game falls apart pretty quickly.

The game is good, much better than anything else out there for the first half. Sadly the second is rather average.

Call of Duty 4 on the other hand...now that I cannot fault!

And GTA 4 in just over a week! shocked punk
  1. I actually like the whole second part as much as the first, I'm a weird one then? No, for me Crysis delivers on a pure technical as well as entertainment level, just like Far Cry did 4 years ago (and still does).

Call of Duty 4 that just looks like any other COD game before it, old-school run & gun gameplay, I didn't like the demo so I may never play the game.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You sir are missing out on the best COD game there is! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Anthony wrote
    And GTA 4 in just over a week! shocked punk

I NEED to get this so much but I know I can't until I've finished my exams, otherwise I'll be well and truly f*cked!

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yup, GTA games eat you life. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't play any computer games at all.

I'm not against them or anything it's just that I don't need yet another occupation to steal hours of my life, I'd much rather read a good book.

p.s. I do play them at friends houses, I mostly get my arse kicked but I can see the appeal.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Anthony wrote
    You sir are missing out on the best COD game there is! shocked

Back in the day I played the first COD, I always preferred Medal of Honor and its sequels, don't know why really. Tastes differ and all that!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008
    I did prefer the MOH games, but they started getting rather silly compared to all the newer games coming out. One guy taking on the entire German army was rather distracting in the end.
  3. The last I played was Pacific Assault, and that had some tremendous combat and squad based tactics, though nothing compared to GRAW. I just like the whole jungle enviroment, and being stealthy in an FPS is one of my more favored tactics.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There was so much hype about Pacific Assault and I was SO let down when it came out. It wasn't finished, it was short, it got repetitive, and compared to Allied Assault, it was a complete failure. sad
  4. Well at least Allied Assault is something we agree on... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    That was the first shooter I played, and quite frankly, was the first time I heard the name ''Giacchino''. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    There was so much hype about Pacific Assault and I was SO let down when it came out. It wasn't finished, it was short, it got repetitive, and compared to Allied Assault, it was a complete failure. sad

Agree. Moreover, all those japs hidden in the trees and stabbing you in the back crazy
    Allied Assault is a master piece of a game, and the best MOH for PC (well Airborne is superior graphically, but not overall).
    And, as Anthony says, was my first contact too with Giacchino...I was amazed by the score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You'll never guess what - at first, all I knew Giacchino for was the MOH games (not The Incredibles, nothing!). When I first heard he was going to be on MI3, I actually though ''oh my God, that's going to suck''.

Oh. My. God.

Was I wrong about everything. biggrin
  5. Well that was one of the reasons I like the MOH games so much. It was just so satisfying dropping nazi during an insanely good melody played by orchestra. High point is Frontline for PS2, and Allied Assault on PC though only a good 15 minutes is original music in that game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    That was the first shooter I played, and quite frankly, was the first time I heard the name ''Giacchino''. smile

Woah, blessed day it was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    My daughters picked up Mario Kart for the Wii yesterday...played it for a while yesterday. It is kind of a greatest hits of all the really great tracks from Mario Karts past. Playing with the Wii remote and the Wii wheel is fun and works well.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    GTA 4 today! Cannot wait! punk cool
  6. What console will you be getting the game for Anthony?

I've seen the video review, and my god the game looks incredible. How the cars handle and react to each other and the way the city is detailed in the extreme. Apparently the game makes you care for the main character as well, which is a first for the series. I know I'm getting too old for this, but when the creators keep reinventing the genre like is the case with GTA4, I cannot pass this up. Must get it soon! Probably for PS3. Should be one hell of a looker on a HDTV.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'll get it for 360. I'm looking forward to all the little details like if you fail to carjack someone properly, your arm might get stuck in the car door as they try to drive away. Or how if someone crashes into someone else in their car, they'll get out and ask if the other person is ok. biggrin
  7. GTA is becoming less Grand Theft Auto and more RLS * with every incarnation. But when the fun remains, who cares? And these games were always loaded with details, which is what makes 'em so memorable.

I've had my 360 RROD on me a couple of weeks ago after only 6 months. I don't trust it enough to let it on for a long time angry It's more ventilated now, so we'll see how long it'll live. Too bad 'cause its a great machine.

* RLS=Real Life Simulation
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm glad they've got rid of the gym stuff though from SA. That got a bit too role-playing-ee. smile
  8. GTA IV (PS3) ! punk punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    GTA IV (PS3) ! punk punk punk punk punk punk

Noooo! I can't play this until June 19th!!!!

sad crazy sad crazy sad crazy