• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. let's resurrect this topic

finally finished with God of War III, and I must say that this is a very good game. The end's particularly satisfying because for once I could beat the final boss without having to resort to cheating (aka going from normal to easy wink ). Good ending too story wise.

The cream of the crop though is the entire scope of the game, with the huge boss battles as the cream of the crop.

9 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Haha finally! I thought you'd never finish it. Visually it's astounding and I can't think of a game more epic and huge in scale, except for maybe Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but I still have to try that one.

What about the music? I think the music in the entire GOW series is one of its strong points, as it highly thematic and bombastic from begin to end. Plus the music enhances so many scenes and battles that it becomes a part of the playing experience.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Haha finally! I thought you'd never finish it. Visually it's astounding and I can't think of a game more epic and huge in scale, except for maybe Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but I still have to try that one.

What about the music? I think the music in the entire GOW series is one of its strong points, as it highly thematic and bombastic from begin to end. Plus the music enhances so many scenes and battles that it becomes a part of the playing experience.

the music's good, but it's like all I can remember of the music is the main theme
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    Does anybody else love Uncharted 1 & 2?
  4. At least two people on this board.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Anthony wrote
    Does anybody else love Uncharted 1 & 2?

I utterly adore them, they are just perfect. I'm a sucker for this kind of adventure and humor, and the games are some of the most absolutely beautiful games ever created

they are must buys, sheer must buys

can't wait for uncharted 3 punk
  6. Uncharted 1 & 2 are the best examples of how far games have come into blending the best points of movies (cinematic action, great storytelling, creating suspense and believable acting, albeit done with performance capture, but impressive nonetheless) with the intensity and interactive nature of videogames. If they ever make a real true to the films kind of Indiana Jones game, it could learn a thing or two about Uncharted, which basically has the same kind of protagonist bouncing around the world after some lost artifact and having the most incredible adventures in fantastic locales, not to mention being in the middle of some standout action sequences. The entire train sequence in U2 for example. Makes the Desert Chase look like a scene out of Keystone Cops. tongue

If this doesn't wet your appetite for the third part, I don't know what will. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    I cannot wait for the third one. I just hope they don't go quite so over the top this time (the whole shambala thing at the end of U2 was ridiculous) and give more screen time to the antagonist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    The score to the 2nd game is absolutely stunning.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. I just finished RED DEAD REDEMPTION, going for the full 100 % because I'm a totally obsessed dude. An absolutely stunning interactive western with a shockingly well written story of revenge, honor, family values, fate and redemption, which kept me absolutely hooked all the way through. You could say the game is GTA in a far west setting but that would be doing it injustice because the gameplay and storyline is fully matched to the setting. Visually it features breathtaking landscapes and locations and it lets the player enter a world that is now long forgotten and only seen in film, but film is still a passive experience. Here you get transported to early 20th century America and Mexico and get to interact with that world in a way never before experienced. Anyone with a PS3 should at least try it once. But don't blame me if it gets its hooks in you. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011
    I have it for Xbox and it's great. I just wish there was a little more going on in the world as there was a lot of sand.
  8. The demo of Killzone 3 in 3D... shocked

Awesome is one way to describe it. Love the series since part 2 wowed and entertained me for a long time. And the 3D really works, I was totally immersed in the gloriously rendered world.

And from what I can tell the music by Joris De Man will be another very enjoyable piece of work, based on the little bit of score in the demo. The gameplay music is another set of looped synthesized cues, but the main menu and cutscene music should keep lovers of bold orchestral writing happy. We'll be hearing it soon enough as the game is coming out in one week.
  9. Well I'm already in the first chapters of Uncharted 3, and it already is a thrilling experience. Of course it repeats the exact same levels of 1 and 2, but that's just a good thing. I love the story telling in this one (as in the previous 2), the adventure and the laughs. And once Naughty Dog starts delivering cinematic action, you know you're in for a hell of a ride. The castle experience is hands down one of the most beautiful and visual thrill rides I've ever played. And I know there are gonna be more of those cheesy . Music for now sounds good too, the same at the previous scores but a bit more exotic rhythms and vocals from time to time (chapter 2 is an absolute blast.

I knew Uncharted 3 was going to rule, and I just can't stop playing it. Hands down this series is the most brilliant experience I've ever played, and it delivers on all accounts. And I'm just at the beginning punk

for those who don't know what Uncharted is, see for yourself the thrill ride it is cool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79JSfXxMdhs

fucking amazing punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited
    Saw a video of Harrison Ford playing UNCHARTED 3. It's not my kind of game to play, but it looks like something I might enjoy watch OTHERS play.

Btw, I recently finished THE DIG all over again, maybe my alltime favourite adventure game, followed by INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE. The latter had more frustrating puzzles than I remembered, clanky gameplay and the annoying fact that you die and have to start all over again at the beginning of the scene. I don't like games where you die. Soon going into INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, which was a far better game.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    Saw a video of Harrison Ford playing UNCHARTED 3. It's not my kind of game to play, but it looks like something I might enjoy watch OTHERS play.

Btw, I recently finished THE DIG all over again, maybe my alltime favourite adventure game, followed by INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE. The latter had more frustrating puzzles than I remembered, clanky gameplay and the annoying fact that you die and have to start all over again at the beginning of the scene. I don't like games where you die. Soon going into INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, which was a far better game.

yeah, Harrison was impressed about that game as well smile

I'm sure you would enjoy seeing it, it is cinematic quality. Hollywood quality.

As for the Dig, I always loved playing that game, the music with it, so magical. And Indiana Jones was fun too. Good games to play with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011
    I play board games. Recently got addicted to "Mondo."

Anyone?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  11. Great you're enjoying the hell out of Uncharted 3 Thomas, looking forward to it myself, when you're done with it. punk
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    Played GTA 4 a bit today. For the first time on HDMI quality so I could actually read the texts and disarm that fella who attacks you with a knife in one of the early missions. (The texts were somehow impossible to read on using the cables that come with the system) In the past I used to break into a cop car beforehand, get a shotgun, and use that to take care of this fella. The disarming method was more fun, though a little tricky to master!

And yes, let me echo DreamTheater's words, can't wait to play Uncharted 3!
  12. Blu wrote
    Played GTA 4 a bit today. For the first time on HDMI quality so I could actually read the texts and disarm that fella who attacks you with a knife in one of the early missions. (The texts were somehow impossible to read on using the cables that come with the system) In the past I used to break into a cop car beforehand, get a shotgun, and use that to take care of this fella. The disarming method was more fun, though a little tricky to master!

And yes, let me echo DreamTheater's words, can't wait to play Uncharted 3!

you'll love uncharted 3, visually mindblowing and exactly the same level of fun and adventure as the previous 2 smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    Had some major problems with Uncharted 3. It's the weakest of the bunch but also has two of the best sequences. The story is very poor, and the best section of the game doesn't even tie in with it. You can tell the story was based around the level, not the other way around.

The shooting is also broken and enemy AI very poor. They are clearly trying to get you involved with more hand to hand fighting as enemies constantly rush you. Luckily the hand to hand system is much more involving and fun than before, and is probably the best addition to the game. Enemies also have perfect accuracy with grenades, to a point where it is annoying.

Overall the game lacks a lot of polish.

Worth playing for the brilliant, brilliant cruise ship and plane sequences but don't expect it to top Uncharted 2.
  13. Anthony wrote
    Had some major problems with Uncharted 3. It's the weakest of the bunch but also has two of the best sequences. The story is very poor, and the best section of the game doesn't even tie in with it. You can tell the story was based around the level, not the other way around.

The shooting is also broken and enemy AI very poor. They are clearly trying to get you involved with more hand to hand fighting as enemies constantly rush you. Luckily the hand to hand system is much more involving and fun than before, and is probably the best addition to the game. Enemies also have perfect accuracy with grenades, to a point where it is annoying.

Worth playing for the brilliant, brilliant cruise ship and plane sequences but don't expect it to top Uncharted 2.

I have to say, I find the enemy AI refreshing. Finally the enemies are getting smarter. It makes sure that at times you don't know where to hide, because they will find you. But it adds to the thrill and tempo of the action. Making it a lot harder (even on a normal level). But I like it, it keeps you on edge
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I want tougher enemies, just ones that act like humans instead of running - in most cases - right past you, behind you, then start shooting you in the back. That's not fun.
  14. Anthony wrote
    Don't get me wrong, I want tougher enemies, just ones that act like humans instead of running - in most cases - right past you, behind you, then start shooting you in the back. That's not fun.

I see what you mean, it did surprise me in the beginning. But as said, I like the fact it sort of enhances the energy this game now has. The bad thing about is though, through the energy I'm definitely missing out an overview of the entire game, and that's perhaps the only downside

but I'm still at the beginning of the game, level 8, so I still has a lot to experience
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011 edited
    Since I'm basically chained to a relaxed life situation these days, I've played a few of my old adventure favourites again.

I mentioned earlier that I finished my alltime favourite THE DIG all over again (oh, how I would love a Telltale restoration of this, like they did on the MONKEY ISLANDs!) as well as INDY III and INDY AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, which is a great game. I might consider the later INDY games too, although they're more action games and not quite my taste.

Recently, I also finished the PC version of JURASSIC PARK: THE GAME, the most recent project from Telltale. I was worried that it would be too much of a shoot'em'up, but while it is indeed an action game more than an adventure, it was only a matter of pressing selected keys (or the mouse) on the right moment, so even I could play it. As such, it played out like a wonderful interactive movie that put me right back into the atmosphere of my beloved JP films. It was nerve-wrecking at times, but the story is so wonderful, it's hard to stay away. This game received a lot of flack in the press (mostly for the fact that it wasn't a freestyle 3D environment that you moved around in), but I loved it. Great music too, Jared Emerson-whatshisface channeling Williams like he did Silvestri in the BACK TO THE FUTURE game.

However, I DID get eaten by dinos about 100 times during the whole game! biggrin

I've now started SAM & MAX HIT THE ROAD all over again too, as a warmup to the three seasons of new games that Telltale did.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    So you're familiar with Steam, Thor?

Might I suggest a little gem called PORTAL, and its sequel, both of which have blown my mind with their puzzles! These are played from first person, mouse & keyboard, but they are ingenious titles of such creativity, humour and incredibly design you'll be entertained throughout. Check out this trailer to get a feel for the concept. This is basically very easy to play, you can take your time too, but some of the puzzles will test your logical and lateral thinking. But it's never anything less than fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    No, not familiar with those.

As you know, I'm very old-school. I'm still stuck in PC gaming and I'm still stuck with 90s-type adventure games.

So outside Telltale, my knowledge of contemporary games equals zero.

But thanks for the tips. I'll check them out! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Well these aren't adventure like the ones you mentioned. But there's no shooting, fighting or what have you featured in Portal. It's your brain that gets a real workout (and your laughing muscles too) and for that I recommend this to every sane person.

Not sure if your PC will be able to run em, maybe just the first.

I recommend watching some gameplay videos to be really sure if you'll like it.
  15. Anthony wrote

I have to agree with you Anthony! I finished it, and it indeed is the weakest of the three (hell I give it still 8 out of 10). The middle portion doesn't make sense indeed, but man what a visual experience. Plus the plane sequence may be short, but it is so goddamn brilliant.

I personally wasn't fond off the way Elena was brought into the whole situation, they could have handled it better. And it's definitely lacking a lot of the humor of the second one. But what do I care? This is still one of the best games I ever played, it's just sad that it doesn't top the first and second one, especially knowing what kind of cinematic action pieces you're experiencing on screen.

Well fuck it, I want more Uncharted, you here me guys?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes. More. Please. Just better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would destroy Elena.