• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkevin32
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008
    Hi. I have a question about film music.

The recording industry has different genres of music like rock, country, R&B, rap, etc.

Does the film music industry have genres for movie scores that are written (like country, classical, jazzy)? Or at least how the songs sound (like soothing, happy, sad, dark, etc)? Would anyone know where I could get more info? Thanks.

-Kevin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Film music uses every possible musical genre around you can imagine, in all creative ways. Music description via known feelings is something commonly done for ages, not for film music exclusively. Descriptions of the instrumentation, arrangements, themes and motific development but also the compositional style (world-music / etchnomusicological, classical, romantic, atonal - serialism - 12-tone, baroque and stuff like that) are more eloquent and descriptive ways to characterize a musical work for film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Go, Demetris! wink

If anything - classing film music simply as "soundtracks" is an unfair representation. Film music is not a genre on it's own, but another set of genres. smile
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    The thing I really like about film music is the way in which you can find any genre within the movies. What's really interesting is that you can sometimes find different styles of music within the same film.

Fred Karlin's Westworld is a good example of this: jaunty, Western-style "cowboy" music (as you would expect), plus menacing electronic sounding stuff for the robots and some truly amazing medieval tunes for "Medieval World".

Fantastic punk
  1. djdave wrote
    The thing I really like about film music is the way in which you can find any genre within the movies. What's really interesting is that you can sometimes find different styles of music within the same film.

This is something that I like about film music - the exposure to different styles of music within this genre. Classical, contemporary, electronic, large orchestra, small ensemble, solo instruments, etc. dizzy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    djdave wrote

This is something that I like about film music - the exposure to different styles of music within this genre. Classical, contemporary, electronic, large orchestra, small ensemble, solo instruments, etc. dizzy

I agree, and what annoys me is when ignorant people relate it directly to classical music just because it might have a french horn in it. angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    djdave wrote

I agree, and what annoys me is when ignorant people relate it directly to classical music just because it might have a french horn in it. angry

Eh?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    LSH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    djdave wrote

Like when I told my uncle I listen to film music, he said ''so..is that classed as classical?''. I just replied ''no..it's classed as film music'' (but I couldn't be bothered to explain that this covers nearly every genre. Thank God there aren't many R&B scores. wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    djdave wrote

Eh?

The assumption that anything orchestral is classical. A lot of people have said to me "so you like classical music do you?" when the majority of what I play is film music. Pure ignorance!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I like orchestral. I don't like classical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

You don't? You're missing out on a lot!

Classical music isn't for everyone, but there is a piece of classical music out there for everyone.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Some is ok, but I don't go out of my way to listen to it. There's all the ''famous'' pieces that are good though.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    I don't know of any site that lists film score music by "type" such as dark/happy, atonal/melodic, but there are a number of sites that give detailed reviews which describe the tracks and let you know what "type" of music it is.

Also, if you are looking for scores of a particular type or mood, I'm sure some people here could make suggestions if you let us know what type of music/theme you're seeking.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

You don't? You're missing out on a lot!

Classical music isn't for everyone, but there is a piece of classical music out there for everyone.

I like some classical music, although I wouldn't necessarily know what it's called. Interestingly, in the earlier decades of film composing, classical, concert-hall composers looked down their noses at the new breed of musician supplying scores for the movies. Whether because of this or in spite of it, many film composers have tried their hand - or even led a double life - writing non-film music orchestral pieces for concert performance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Some is ok, but I don't go out of my way to listen to it. There's all the ''famous'' pieces that are good though.

Between classical and film music I'm split directly down the middle, both are as important to me and I couldn't live without either.

well, I could, but you know what I mean wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Between classical and film music I'm split directly down the middle, both are as important to me and I couldn't live without either.

well, I could, but you know what I mean wink

Film music is my favourite, but classical is the best type of music out there I would imagine. There's certainly been some fine musical movements during the 20th century, but it's geniuses like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Strauss and the like that will never be topped. (Not for a long time at least, who knows.)