• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008
    Grrr! I was not able to find even one Norwegian female 'composer' crazy Atleast I should have guessed Mrs Thor wink
    Anyway, this was a good game with lots of beautiful clips. I'll have to get some of the cds.

But please try to restrict the number of cues to 20 or less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Are we done?
    I don't see any answers yet, so I'm still sending in random guesses in a shotgun approach.
    (I think clip 1 through twenty may be by one of the following composers: Aaron A. Aardvark, Aaron D. AArdvark, Benny AArdvark, Charles Aardvark, Dirk D. Aardvark, Dirk Q. Aardvark...)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. We are indeed done. No more dancing round here. A very clear winner, congratulations again to James who really does seem to be ultimate player of these games. Equal second place went to Bhel and Thor, who both made admirable last minute assaults on the basis of the clues. (EDIT - but lo, Thor steals in front as I'm typing! shocked ) Martijn rounds out the top scorers. Congrats to all on our most difficult - though most clued-in - game yet. Hopefully the next game will be sure to exclude any waltzes... after 25 clips, I don't think the ears of our forum could take any more 3/4, 6/8 or whatever time a waltz can come in. (Though I have enough for a short third game, I think two games is enough!)

Southall - 35 points
    Son of Odin (Brother of Loki, Hammer of the Gods, Asgardian of Asgard) - 25 points
    BhelPuri - 23 points
    Martijn - 19 points
    Petersv - 17 points
    Plindboe, JuPe - 16 points
    Falkirkbairn - 13 points
    Demetris - 9 points

Now, what were they?

1. Bernard Herrmann - SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO - 'Memory Waltz' (1952) - I misworded this clue. I meant to imply not that the film was a dark romance, but that it was written by a master of dark romance. Sorry Thor!

2. Jerry Goldsmith - THE BLUE MAX - 'A Small Favour' (1966)

3. Maurice Jarre - IS PARIS BURNING? - 'Main theme' (1966)

4. David Shire - THE CONVERSATION - 'Theme for Harry Caul / Main Theme' (1974)

5. Alfred Schnittke - STORY OF AN UNKNOWN ACTOR - 'Waltzer / Abscheid' (1976) (taken from a re-recording for SACD released by Chandos, performed under the baton of Frank Strobel. CD also features Schnittke's masterful THE COMMISSAR score.)
    A bit gushy, but here's the review: http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/200 … C71041.htm

6. Philippe Sarde - THE TENANT / LE LOCATAIRE - 'Main Title' (1976) - (just hearing this clip again sends chills down my spine... available on a CD with TESS from Universal France - I couldn't resist putting on such a long clip)

7. Jerry Goldsmith - THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL - 'Main Theme' (1977)

8. Ennio Morricone - TRAGEDY OF A RIDICULOUS MAN - 'Le Tragedia di un uomo Ridiculo' (1981). Bertolucci is one of the few non-English language-based winners of the Best Director Oscar. (Sadly Morricone didn't score THAT film!)

9. Georges Delerue - THE ESCAPE ARTIST - 'Main Titles' (1982) - Most people got this composer easily enough.

10. NO-ONE GOT THIS!!!! shocked Basil Poledouris - FAREWELL TO THE KING - 'Imperialist Waltz' (1989). This Poledouris score is mostly known for its Barry like sound.

11. Elmer Bernstein - AGE OF INNOCENCE - 'At the Opera' (1993) -- I felt the ondes martinot would give it away at the end, which is why I let this cue go on so long. I've always liked the segue from the FAUST opera to Bernstein's gentle chamber-size waltz.

12. Elliot Goldenthal - INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE - 'Santiago's Waltz' (1994) - the complete track! Along with Newman's HORSE WHISPERER and Goldsmith's CHINATOWN, one of the greatest replacement scores.

13. Carter Burwell - GODS AND MONSTERS - 'Last Swim' (1998) --- a few guesses of Dan Jones' SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE here, which kind of makes sense, since there's a certain folk East European feeling to that use of the violin. (And because I used it in my last Waltz game!) Those who knew James Whale directed INVISIBLE MAN and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN could join the dots to this biopic of James Whale.

14. Angelo Badalamenti - THE STRAIGHT STORY - 'Country Waltz' (1999) - which incidentally appeared in Southall's game a couple of weeks back (a different track). Sadly, Richard Farnesworth did commit suicide, a sad coda to this utterly charming film from David Lynch.

15. Patrick Doyle - GOSFORD PARK - 'Rather a Pasting' (2001) - which is one of Patrick Doyle's most underrated scores! I was tempted to say that the director had passed away as a clue, but I thought that would give it away.

16. Alberto Iglesias - TALK TO HER / HABLE CON ELLA - 'Soy Marco' (2002) - I'm not always a fan of Almodovar's films, but I am a fan of quite a few, and his collaboration with Iglesias has been producing some great results. This one wasn't really a clue, unless you know my opinions about things.

17. Rachel Portman - THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE - 'Quitter!' (2002) - A female composer, an Oscar winning film-maker points to Rachel Portman and Jonathan Demme --> a remake means MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE or this remake of CHARADE --> no album release means this film. Yes, this means I have the charming score, which relies a lot on this waltz theme, and is one of Portman's better recent efforts.

18. Jon Brion - PUNCH DRUNK LOVE - 'Overture' (2002) - The clue about the leading man led many to Brion's score for ETERNAL SUNSHINE. Adam Sandler's turn in this film was equally unexpected, I thought.

19. Mark McKenzie - BLIZZARD - 'Katie's Waltz' (2003) - NOONE GOT THIS! Released on CD in 2006, this was a really fine score from McKenzie, and nowhere near as tumultuous as the film's title.

20. Hans Zimmer - MATCHSTICK MEN - 'Banker's Waltz' (2003) - OH, THE IRONY THAT NO-ONE GOT THIS!! THAT THE GUESSES INCLUDED Desplat, Yared and Williams MEANS THIS REALLY IS A CUT ABOVE ZIMMER'S STANDARD. The waltz by this composer in Bob's game was the GLADIATOR waltz.

21. John Williams - MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - 'Garden Meeting' (2005)

22. Kristin Asbjornsen - FACTOTUM - 'Quirky Waltz' (2005)
    http://www.musicweb-international.com/f … r_factotum
    The thing is, she's not really a film composer. She's more a popular jazz artist. But she did score the film as well as write songs for it. And she is Norwegian.

23. Bear McCreary - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 2 - 'Roslin and Adama' (2005-2006)

24. Javier Navarrete - PAN'S LABYRINTH - 'Pan's Labyrinth Lullaby' (2006) - I always imagine 'Mary had a little lamb' to this tune.

25. George Fenton - PLANET EARTH - 'Elephants in the Okavango' (2006) - Mammals do love a bath.

Bonus: Ivor Novello - 'The Land of Might-have-Been', used in, but not written for GOSFORD PARK, and the cap-off of its fine album. The song is performed in the middle of the film on-screen by the character of IVOR NOVELLO (Jeremy Northam), in a beautiful use of diegetic music by Altman. Ivor Novello's name of course adorns the ESTEEMED AWARD given out for film music year after year by BAFTA. No-one guessed Doyle's cue for this film, so it was no surprise that no-one got this either.

Anyway, I just wanted to play a bunch of nice music, which is why the clips are a bit obscure, and quite long too. Hope you heard some nice music, and feel free to ask for a complete track of anything that was excerpted above.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    10. NO-ONE GOT THIS!!!! shocked Basil Poledouris - FAREWELL TO THE KING - 'Imperialist Waltz' (1989). This Poledouris score is mostly known for its Barry like sound.

Shit.

SHIT.

SHIT!

I really should have gotten that one (however un-Poledouresque it was). slant
    wave <- hitting self over head, and apparently, judging on the inane grin, deriving some perverse pleasure from it... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bloody hell!!!!! I should have gotten track 10! I have heard it a billion times, I just couldn't recall where it was from. Several others in this game I should have guessed as well.

*loses all confidence in his Guess-the-score-game abilities*

Peter slant
  2. I was shocked particularly at the failure of anyone to recognise MATCHSTICK MEN or FAREWELL TO THE KING. Thor's forgiven, since he doesn't buy soundtracks anymore, but what's the excuse for the rest of you? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well I don't own a single one of those scores, so no wonder I didn't recognise any!

I'll put up the next game when I get home from work! wink cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In fairness I've only listened to Matchstick Men about twice. I made the mistake of seeing the film, and it put me off listening to the album again. Your clip makes me think I should revisit it.

As for Farewell to the King... well, no excuses.

You did manage to put up a clip from a famous Morricone score which I do not own... considering I own about 200 of his scores, that's an impressive feat!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008 edited
    Very difficult this one, and as usual, I wouldn't have scored particularly high without the clues. I'm dependent on clues, especially if there's a lot of new, post-2000 stuff. But all hats off to Southall, who seems to do these games in his sleep and still just "playing" with the rest of us. smile

And no, not even I managed to guess the Norwegian woman....of course, I've heard about her (and the film) in retrospect, but I just couldn't pull it out when it was needed (hey, stop thinking like that! wink).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Shit.

SHIT.

SHIT!

I really should have gotten that one (however un-Poledouresque it was). slant
    wave <- hitting self over head, and apparently, judging on the inane grin, deriving some perverse pleasure from it... slant

tsk tsk rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Ack! I should have gotten more if I had the time to check some samples.

The Zimmer was a nice surprise!

Thanks for a nice game, Franz. Lovely clips cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    tsk tsk rolleyes

YOU only get to comment when you actually PLAY again! angry
  3. Indeed. Timmer - I was most disappointed by your snubbing yet another game. You will no longer be sung of as one of my favourite things. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorpetersv
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008 edited
    As I suspected, I should have gotten both 19 (McKenzie) and 25 (Fenton), since I'm quite familiar with them both. I should maybe have gotten the Poledouris and the Bernstein also. Oh well... I'm pretty satisified with my score anyways.

Thanks for a game well done, Franz!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Indeed. Timmer - I was most disappointed by your snubbing yet another game. You will no longer be sung of as one of my favourite things. wink

biggrin

Yeah, sorry Michael shame

My computer is so slow I lose the will to live downloading clips, the whole thing needs a re-build.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    tsk tsk rolleyes

YOU only get to comment when you actually PLAY again! angry

Mebbe so!?

But that cue wouldn't have slipped me! tongue
  4. A plea...no more waltz clips. Please!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Teeheehee... next game is 'CINEMATIC BOSSA NOVA: FILM MUSIC GROOVES!' biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    yeah; you play that, alone!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Teeheehee... next game is 'CINEMATIC BOSSA NOVA: FILM MUSIC GROOVES!' biggrin

PLEASE! biggrin

I love Bossa Nova! cool