• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes, time for a little more dancing. The first time round we toured some of the highlight waltzes written for original scores.

Now, Revenge of the Waltz

Get the clips from here:
    www.maintitles.net/music/gts/michael/wa … stions.zip

Rules:
    1. One point each for composer and title of score. Five points for the bonus track being identified. (Playing for a total of 55 points.)
    2. Answers will be revealed a week from now.

Hints:
    1. There's a few this time with 'waltz' with the track title.
    2. The clips are 'meant' to be in chronological order. The complicating factor are those years where more than 1 title featured (there are SIX such years). I meant to put them in alphabetical order for those years, but I see now that I forgot to do this, so that's a slight complicating factor. Also, one title was hard to pin to one year, because TV seasons straddle two years usually.
    3. There is a composer named after an animal in this bunch.

Specific hints... (the clips are in the zip folder above, these are just clues)

Clip 1 - What would a waltz game be without a bit of dark romance from this composer?

Clip 2 - Not terribly characteristic of the rest of the score it comes from, but the main theme (quite a famous one) appears here for solo violin.

Clip 3 - The film title is a question. The composer is from a country with a capital city whose name is featured in the title.

Clip 4 - 'Chopin meets jazz' is the often-given description of this film's score concept. It's an ingenious score, but a very short one.

Clip 5 - This composer is known more for his classical work than his film music. This comes from a re-recording I reviewed a couple of years back. The film featured an actor no-one here would know. Released on SA-CD.

Clip 6 - Not technically a waltz, but I had to make it to 25 clips, and I just love this theme. (Hey, we can all do with a break.) The director had just made his most acclaimed American film, and returned to Europe to make one of the most unsettling films of the 70s. The acclaimed composer of his previous film did not join him (in fact they had not yet met, if the legend is correct), and the composer of this clip worked with the director for the first of three collaborations.

Clip 7 - One of the few gutsy full-brass orchestrated waltzes from this batch. This composer appears elsewhere in this set.

Clip 8 - One of the few foreign language-based Oscar winning directors made this film with a composer who has never won an Oscar he was nominated for.

Clip 9 - The emotional effect this melody should have on you is as big a clue about who wrote this as you should need.

Clip 10 - In a score often remarked on for its 'John Barry' sound, one of my favourite composers gave Strauss Jnr his worth too.

Clip 11 - One of my favourite moments on a film music album is the shift from the operetta to this gentle waltz by ----- ---------. The instrument at the end of the clip is a big clue.

Clip 12 - This is actually a complete track, believe it or not. From one of the greatest replacement scores ever written in 2-3 weeks.

Clip 13 - The film's director relates that he originally hoped to have his composer reference the famous scores of early thriller/horror movie scores like BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE INVISIBLE MAN, but the composer responded with a simple waltz that solved every musical problem the film had.

Clip 14 - A very acclaimed film by a director not known for his gentle, sensical, meditations. The lead actor committed suicide tragically some years later.

Clip 15 - One of the greatest films of the current decade. One of the least favourite scores by this composer's fans, it features foxtrots, scherzoes, and of course, a waltz or two.

Clip 16 - The highpoint of one of the great ongoing foreign language director/composer collaborations in the world today.

Clip 17 - The score was never properly released. The composer is a woman. The director is an Oscar winner. The film is a remake.

Clip 18 - Another of the greatest films of the current decade, featuring one of the most annoying stars of the current decade suppressing his usual on-screen antics.

Clip 19 - Released on CD several years after the appearance of the film, this brief waltz features the score's gorgeous main theme. The music does not sound as tumultuous as the film's title.

Clip 20 - We had another waltz by this composer in Bob's piano game.

Clip 21 - Very famous score - no clues needed!

Clip 22 - Female 'composer'. Norwegian. There can't be too many that fit that combination around. wink (Sorry Thor!)

Clip 23 - Can't think of a clue.

Clip 24 - This one's pretty famous (Oscar-nominated), so perhaps all I'll say is: 'Mary had a little lamb, fleece as white as snow, and everywhere that Mary went, the lamb it had to go.'

Clip 25 - Mammals love a bath. So much so that this composer thought this gem of a waltz should accompany the sight.

Bonus - Those who do well at guessing the clips in the main game should have an easier time at this one. The piece was not written for the film it appeared in, but appeared more prominently than most of the underscore in that film. It was written by a composer who happens to have an 'esteemed' award for film music named after him.

That should be a bit to chew on for now. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. It took me a little while to get that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    I have an excuse to not play and see myself go under.

I'll never waltz again franzy waltzy. biggrin wink
    Kazoo
  3. If the game keeps going like this - ie. no guesses - it may not take much to come out on top.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm at work so I'll do it when I get home. I predict..hmm..2 points for me?
  4. I'm also at work. But I'll have a go when I get back home tonight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. okay, is it just me or is this really hard? shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Consider this a musical education, Tommy Boy. If I was reviewing scores on a regular basis, I think I'd be embarrassed not to know a lot of the titles on this list. wave

Many of the majors are there, often for some pretty acclaimed scores. (Extra hint: Horner isn't there.)
  7. And we have our first player:

Southall - 22 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    And we have our first player:

Southall - 22 points

shocked

Whatever happened to the "nobody guesses" and "I'll only get two points" people?? Now I'll never win!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Great, another waltz game! I know how to waltz.

Peter smile
  8. Indeed you do. biggrin
  9. Player number two. (And number 3, with an excellent score from JuPe.)

Southall - 22 points
    JuPe - 16 points
    Falkirkbairn - 9 points

An important clue that has appeared in many previous games and was excluded here: The clips (not counting the bonus) cover a period of about 54 years.
  10. New score... we bump.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    And we have our first player:

Southall - 22 points

shocked

Whatever happened to the "nobody guesses" and "I'll only get two points" people?? Now I'll never win!

Don't worry, I'm still here. I just haven't had time to do it yet. wink
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    Consider this a musical education, Tommy Boy. If I was reviewing scores on a regular basis, I think I'd be embarrassed not to know a lot of the titles on this list. wave

Many of the majors are there, often for some pretty acclaimed scores. (Extra hint: Horner isn't there.)

I'm not embarrassed, I just don't know everything biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    cry
    I can't play again!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  12. The rich get richer.

Southall - 28 points
    JuPe - 16 points
    Falkirkbairn - 9 points

Stavroula, why can't you play?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008 edited
    Having taken a break from these games for over four weeks now I think I'll have a go at yours Michael.

Haven't heard any clips yet so I might be in fior a big fall!? spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008
    OMG, I forgot to do it again last night. crazy

Someone punch me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    The rich get richer.

Southall - 28 points
    JuPe - 16 points
    Falkirkbairn - 9 points

Stavroula, why can't you play?

Because even though the clips are wonderful (I fell in love with n.23) I can't recognize a single one! sad
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    I'll participate one of the following days. A bit too busy for the moment though.

Peter smile
  13. Don't rush. It seems nobody else is. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    I'll participate asap too, it should be very interesting!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008 edited
    Well I couldn't get a single one. sad

Number 4 and 5 I swear I've heard before, and I knew the theme from number 23, but I've no idea what it could be.

Can someone PM me what number 25 is, I really like it! smile
  14. I'll give you a copy of number 25 afterwards. It's one of the best TV scores of recent years. wink

Southall - 28 points
    JuPe - 16 points
    Petersv - 15 points
    Falkirkbairn - 9 points

One more brave player.

I think given the popular response to this game, I should be banned from holding the game for some time. I do hope that people are listening to the clips at least, and are intrigued where they come from.

Two more days in this game I think. From now. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Who's doing the next one? I know im doing the one after the next, but I've forgotten whose turn it is this time! dizzy
  15. Anthony wrote
    Who's doing the next one? I know im doing the one after the next, but I've forgotten whose turn it is this time! dizzy

I'm doing the one after you Anthony wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    So I'm next or there's still someone before me?! dizzy