• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    Yeah, stuff
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Aaaaaaand we're off!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Perhaps the World Trade Center really did need a facelift?

That goes way deeper than religious fanaticism, imo.

[edited to add] Now it's the right time for that religious topic! Set, Go!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would comment, but it's WAY too off topic, even though the irony of completely devastating a thread specifically dedicated to Jordi is VERY appealing to me! biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    More stuff
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I've got tons about this to say and comment on (the many ways I disagree with all that Stevie has said before wink), but, as Martijn said, this indeed isn't the topic to do so smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sad

It's everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sad

It's everywhere.

I liked your last signature over at SR cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    (Those about to do a Google search, keep in mind there are other authors and scientists out there I've derived influence and knowledge from.

biggrin I wasn't gonna say anything.
    Oh allright.
    I was.

Steven wrote
    It's everywhere.

Omnipresence, so to speak? angelic

Timmer wrote
    I liked your last signature over at SR

Oil...fire...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    (Those about to do a Google search, keep in mind there are other authors and scientists out there I've derived influence and knowledge from.

biggrin I wasn't gonna say anything.
    Oh allright.
    I was.

Steven wrote
    It's everywhere.

Omnipresence, so to speak? angelic

Timmer wrote
    I liked your last signature over at SR

Oil...fire...

Wood.....paper....pile it on punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Steven wrote
    As for getting annoyed at people for being annoyed at religion? Well, this is not an argument/debate that can be settled in simple one-sentence replies. Not by a long shot.

Perhaps the slaughtering of many thousands of human lives in the name of blind faith doesn't warrant getting annoyed about? Perhaps indoctrinating children at a very young age with naive, vain, malicious fallacies derived from a blindingly self-contradicting piece of scripture written by many hands isn't something to get annoyed about? Perhaps the idiotic idea that faith (instead of thought, logic and reason) is a virtue? Perhaps the Old Testament really is a staple of morality that all humans should abide by? (Anyone vaguely familiar with the "moral" stories of Moses will know the back-handed, twisted stories I am referring to.) Perhaps the World Trade Center really did need a facelift? Perhaps the manners and morals of all man-made gods resemble that of a spoilt child is not something to get annoyed about? Perhaps the teaching that a lack of understanding of the world and the universe is a good thing is not something to get annoyed about?

You tell me.

Beatiful post Steven!

I don't understand the political correctness. Why can't religion be questioned like any other idea? We discuss politics freely, but as soon as someone has a negative opinion about religion they are considered rude and insensitive.

(just doing my bit to hijack the topic) biggrin

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    Yep. Couldn't agree more!

H. L. Mencken: "We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."

Oh, and deaths in the Bible:

God - 2,270,365

Satan - 10

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    So Satan's got some catching up to do? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013
    Interestingly, I'm finding lists more and more exciting these days -- probably because of the lack of any real MUSICAL discussions in the film music forums on the interwebz. When LISTS are better than most everything else, you know that things have changed!

In any case, since my unaired podcast about film music never got off the ground, I thought I could present the Top 10 soundtrack ALBUMS that were featued in that. It's been a while since we did a good 'ol Top 10, so let's see if things have changed.

Here's mine:

1. JURASSIC PARK (John Williams)
    2. STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI (John Williams)
    3. THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (Danny Elfman)
    4. EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (Danny Elfman)
    5. BEYOND RANGOON (Hans Zimmer)
    6. JANE EYRE (John Williams)
    7. THE ABYSS (Alan Silvestri)
    8. ALIEN 3 (Elliot Goldenthal)
    9. BLADE RUNNER (Vangelis)
    10. WATERWORLD (James Newton Howard)
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013 edited
    Hmmmmmm? Rather than my ultimate favourite top 10 ( which I don't think I can do? ) I'm going to list 10 scores, in no particular order, which I'm pretty sure are my most played film music albums...

1. CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris
    2. ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry
    3. THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross
    4. STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith
    5. WALKING WITH DINOSAURS/BEASTS - Benjamin Bartlett
    6. LE TRAIN - Philippe Sarde
    7. TRUE CONFESSIONS - Georges Delerue
    8. BOURNE SUPREMACY - John Powell
    9. THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith
    10. STAR TREK II/III - James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013 edited
    I actually rather like lists...provided they contain some comments on WHY any item is at the rank it is placed at.
    Otherwise it's just a summing-up topic that means positively nothing to anyone except the list maker.
    Which seems a tad onanistic.
  1. Martijn wrote
    I actually rather like lists...provided they contain some comments on WHY any item is at the rank it is placed at.
    Otherwise it's just a summing-up topic that means positively nothing to anyone except the list maker.

Could you expand on your list of why you don't like lists - 10 points if possible (to keep it on-topic). wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Hmmmmmm? Rather than my ultimate favourite top 10 ( which I don't think I can do? ) I'm going to list 10 scores, in no particular order, which I'm pretty sure are my most played film music albums...

1. CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Basil Poledouris
    2. ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry
    3. THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross
    4. STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith
    5. WALKING WITH DINOSAURS/BEASTS - Benjamin Bartlett
    6. LE TRAIN - Philippe Sarde
    7. TRUE CONFESSIONS - Georges Delerue
    8. BOURNE SUPREMACY - John Powell
    9. THE FINAL CONFLICT - Jerry Goldsmith
    10. STAR TREK II/III - James Horner

There are quite a few other contenders from the likes of John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Maurice Jarre, more Barry & Goldsmith etc etc, without keeping some kind of supergeeky dweeb chart it's impossible to really know what's been played most.
  2. Hum, let's see. I'll do a top ten list of what I consider some of the best scores ever written. Such a short list will obviously shaft a ton of great scores. I've tried not to repeat any one composer.

In no specal order:
    1. "Conan the Barbarian"
    2. "Rudy"
    3. "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"
    4. "Psycho" (Herrmann)
    5. "The Ten Commandments" (Bernstein)
    6. "Jaws [1]"
    7. "Dances With Wolves"
    8. "Lawrence of Arabia"
    9. "The Mission"
    10. "Troy" (rejected score; Yared)

And let me see if I can come up with a list of ten hot women. I'll go with famous and Hollywood people. I'm not sure if I can come up with ten. These are all personal opinion, of course:

1. Ivanka Trump (she's also articulate and fiarly well-spoken)
    2. Sarah Chakle
    3. Katheryn Winnick (my favorite of her photos at IMDb; #103 if you don't get linked to it)
    4. Tara O'Connor (AKA: Tara King) (model/actress)
    5. Audrey Hepburn

I'll finish filling out the second list later.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Here we go (one per franchise; one per composer):

1. Star Wars - Return of the Jedi (John Williams)
    2. Star Trek - TMP (Jerry Goldsmith)
    3. Chariots of Fire (Vangelis)
    4. The Mission (Ennio Morricone)
    5. Quo Vadis (Miklos Rozsa)
    6. Batman (Danny Elfman)
    7. The Black Hole (John Barry)
    8. Das Boot (Klaus Doldinger)
    9. Dune (ToTo)
    10. Titanic (James Horner)
    11. Robin of Sherwood (Clannad)
    12. Robin Hood (Erich Wolfgang Korngold)
    13. Gone With the Wind (Max Steiner)
    14. Battlestar Galactica - Saga of a Star World (Stu Phillips)
    15. Doctor Zhivago (Maurice Jarre)
    16. Murder She Said (Ron Goodwin)
    17. Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within (Elliot Goldenthal)
    18. Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris)
    19. Godzilla (David Arnold)
    20. A World Apart (Hans Zimmer)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. My personal favorite scores are these:

1. GLORY - James Horner
    2. BRAVEHEART - Horner
    3. DURANGO - Mark McKenzie
    4. LEGENDS OF THE FALL - Horner again
    5. MEET JOE BLACK - Thomas Newman
    6. UN HOMME ET SON CHIEN - Philippe Rombi
    7. CUTTHROAT ISLAND - John Debney
    8. MERRY CHRISTMAS - Philippe Rombi
    9. LOVE, ACTUALLY - Craig Armstrong
    10. RICH IN LOVE - Georges Delerue

For an explanation for why I like each of these scores so much (I'm looking at you, Martijn smile), the rest of my top 25, a cute picture of my kids, and free pizza and soda, just click on my name to view my profile!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Here we go (one per franchise; one per composer):

1. Star Wars - Return of the Jedi (John Williams)
    2. Star Trek - TMP (Jerry Goldsmith)
    3. Chariots of Fire (Vangelis)
    4. The Mission (Ennio Morricone)
    5. Quo Vadis (Miklos Rozsa)
    6. Batman (Danny Elfman)
    7. The Black Hole (John Barry)
    8. Das Boot (Klaus Doldinger)
    9. Dune (ToTo)
    10. Titanic (James Horner)
    11. Robin of Sherwood (Clannad)
    12. Robin Hood (Erich Wolfgang Korngold)
    13. Gone With the Wind (Max Steiner)
    14. Battlestar Galactica - Saga of a Star World (Stu Phillips)
    15. Doctor Zhivago (Maurice Jarre)
    16. Murder She Said (Ron Goodwin)
    17. Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within (Elliot Goldenthal)
    18. Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris)
    19. Godzilla (David Arnold)
    20. A World Apart (Hans Zimmer)

Sacrilege! You broke the Holy Rule of 10!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Well, since I broke the rules anyway (one per composer, one per franchise) ... I wanted a more diverse list, not best-of-Star-Trek of best-of-John-Williams.

Anyway, why didn't you simply stop reading after no 10? wink

Just noticed I forgot to put Shore's LotR in there. Ah, well, these lists are always flawed.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wouldn't say that they are 'flawed', but they're usually dynamic. The list I gave above was one I assembled in November last year. It still more or less holds, but in a while there might be new additions and other titles falling off -- except for the first few, which seem to have a very stable position on top. That's how it should be, IMO.

I do think lists without back-up arguments can have a value in the sense that it's just a matter of charting. But I agree that reasons are always good. The aforementioned unaired podcast gave long reasons for each entry, but damn if I can be bothered to transcribe all of it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote

Indeed. It's like reading a laundry list. How hard can it be for people to write a few words about the music they like? Jeez!

Anyway, here's my top10:

1) The good, the bad and the ugly (Morricone)
    2) How to train your dragon (Powell)
    3) Conan the barbarian (Poledouris)
    4) Once upon a time in america (Morricone)
    5) Beyond rangoon (Zimmer)
    6) Fellowship of the ring (Shore)
    7) Under fire (Goldsmith)
    8) Dracula (Kilar)
    9) Henry V (Doyle)
    10) Sinbad (Gregson-Williams)

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013
    I don't consider favorites lists to mean nothing to readers; lists can offer miniature portraits of members' musical tastes. Patterns can emerge to inform readers of contrasts and commonalities amongst us posters.
    We can even "sense" how close an individual's perspective can approach one's own aesthetics, or - conversely - how opposite we can be.

Indeed, if a list is to be deemed as meaning nothing, then its meaninglessness is due more (I think) to all those soundtracks and composers whose music we love being excluded from such a short list of 10 entries.
    I wish I could include Toru Takemitsu music plus a Stanley Myers title as well as hundreds of others, but for one reason or another a lot of these folks don't have a proper soundtrack album to represent their fine contributions to cinema.

Here, then, is my Top 10 soundtrack albums - for whatever it's worth. smile

1. THE ILLUSTRATED MAN - those aspects of Jerry Goldsmith's music which I like most are all present in this score
    2. L'IMPRECATEUR - this score comes from Richard Rodney Bennett's 'modernist' facet
    3. FANTASTIC VOYAGE - a high concept music score by Leonard Rosenman, judiciously spotted
    4. THE MECHANIC - this zenith of Jerry Fielding's contribution to cinema is a distillation of his overall artistic aesthetic
    5. AFRICA - a symphony for a continent by Alex North (for a television special program)
    6. LADY IN A CAGE - perhaps the finest specimen of dodecaphonic techniques in film, courtesy Paul Glass
    7. SUMMER AND SMOKE - Elmer Bernstein's singular impressionistic masterpiece
    8. LES BICHES - seductive & intoxicating music by Pierre Jansen, whose collaborations with director Claude Chabrol are my favorite within French cinema
    9. IL FARO IN CAPO AL MONDO - Piero Piccioni's enchanting serpentine themes waft along and into each other in this most impressionistic of scores
    10. DANTON - Jean Prodromides molds multiple art music movements (sonorism, serial, avant-garde choral effects, etc.) into a cohesive, though dense, whole. Extraordinary.
  6. OH! I forgot:

James Horner:

1. James Horner
    2. James Horner
    3. James Horner
    4. James Horner
    5. James Horner
    6. James Horner
    7. James Horner
    8. James Horner
    9. Tyler Bates
    10. James Horner
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2013
    I don't agree with your 3rd and 7th choices. The rest seems perfectly reasonable.
  7. James Horner.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2013
    Steven wrote
    I don't agree with your 3rd and 7th choices. The rest seems perfectly reasonable.

biggrin