• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    So....do Southalls experience drinker's remorse?

Who knows!

Maybe you could ask the question at the IFMCA drop-in session on Sunday?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    James' drunken rants are even more incomprehensible than the ones I used to do years ago.

I still have fond memories of "thor 2? fuck thor!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2021 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    So....do Southalls experience drinker's remorse?

Who knows!

Maybe you could ask the question at the IFMCA drop-in session on Sunday?

Won't be attending, alas. But you can be our scout.

Edmund Meinerts wrote

I still have fond memories of "thor 2? fuck thor!"

Good times!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2021
    Since Southall drunkenly ressurected this thread, should we make the most of it and do a top 10 on some random subject? Any suggestions?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2021 edited
    Top 10 scores for Shakespeare adaptations (that are recognisably Shakespeare, i.e., no things like Ran (King Lear)).

#highbrow

(Are there 10?)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2021
    Great idea! I'll get to it when I'm sober.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2021 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    (Are there 10?)

I had a quick look through my database and there are a lot of Shakespeare adaptations that use the source text as a basis and keep the title of the piece (movies, plays) as Shakespeare's original.

Henry VI (Mirguet, 2014)
    Titus (Goldenthal, 1999)
    Richard III (Jones, 1996) (I'd really want to add Shore's Looking for Richard here!)
    Richard II (Englishby, 2013)
    Romeo and Juliet (Armstrong, 1996) (Korzeniowski/Horner, 2013) (Rota, 1968) (Bruce, 2021) (Dinley, 2021)
    The Merchant of Venice (Pook, 2005)
    Henry IV (Payne, 2014)
    Much Ado About Nothing (Doyle, 1993)
    Henry V (Walton, 1944) (Doyle, 1989)
    Julius Caesar (Rózsa, 1953)
    Hamlet (Walton, 1948) (Doyle, 1996) (Shostakovich, 1964) (Morricone, 1990)
    Measure for Measure (Dewey/Jordan, 2020)
    Othello (1996) (Mole, 2018) (Coyte, 1998) (Goldenthal, 2013)
    King Lear (Zeretzke, 2006)
    Macbeth (Coyte, 2011) (Third Ear Band, 1971) (Hëwitt, 2010) (Kurzel, 2015) (Menary, 2014) (Ibert, 1948) (Dragojevic, 2021) (Reguilon, 2020)
    Antony & Cleopatra (Scott, 1973)
    Coriolanus (Eshkeri, 2011)
    The Tempest (Goldenthal, 2010) (Payne, 2013)
    Henry VIII (Sheppard, 2009)

But, is that any different from a movie that uses Shakespeare as a source but changes the title?

(BTW, Shakespeare has (at time of writing) 1622 writing credits on imdb.com)
  3. Here are my top ten:

1. Romeo and Juliet - Korzeniowski
    2. Henry V - Doyle
    3. Romeo and Juliet - Rota
    4. As You Like It - Doyle
    5. Much Ado About Nothing - Doyle
    6. Antony & Cleopatra - Scott
    7. Titus - Goldenthal
    8. Julius Caesar - Rozsa
    9. Hamlet - Doyle
    10. Romeo + Juliet - Armstrong

I had to listen to four of these just to put ten together. I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with films based on the bard's works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2021
    I had to read quite a bit of Shakespeare when I studied English at uni in 1997, but it's all a distant memory now. Some fine scores, though, and obviously Doyle dominates throughout.

Most of my favs have already been mentioned, but might add LOVE LABOUR'S LOST (Doyle) and A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (Goldenthal).

I think adaptations like THE LION KING and WEST SIDE STORY should also count.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    I think adaptations like THE LION KING and WEST SIDE STORY should also count.

That's what I was wondering earlier - should stories based on Shakespeare be included. I don't know the storylines of his plays well enough to recognise a Shakespeare story when I see one. I will have to trawl through the 1600+ adaptations to see which movies are based on his works.