• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008 edited
    I am currently using OPERA (download free at: http://filehippo.com/download/10ae99677 … /download/) after following an advice from ANTHONY and i am TOTALLY loving it 'cause it has everything i could have asked for, a spelling check thingy as well and several cool exclusive features like the 'SPEED DIAL' thingy which is a very neat page that opens up when you first open OPERA and contains 9 cool thumbnailed links to your 9 favorite websites which you set and which will open very quickly with just one click of the mouse!

FIREFOX 3 BETA
    still sucks and it was the primal reason i switched to OPERA and for you IE Junkies ( slant ) here's INTERNET EXPLORER 8 BETA for you to play with wink

http://filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    Did you consciously wait to start a "FIREFOX BETA sucks" post the moment Bregt leaves for China? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I'm not at war and I use IE with no problems at all. Hey, it has even got tabs!

I really don't understand what the war is all about. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me neither, Bregje. I know people hate Microsoft and I understand the reasons why, but I'm always confused when people try to come up with reasons other than "I hate Microsoft" for not using IE, because there don't seem to be any.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's not necessarily the case that ''IE is bad'', it's just missing a hell of a lot of useful stuff that Opera has. If IE is fine for your every day use then ok, but if you want to get more from browsing the net I suggest switching to another brower. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For some reason IE ceased to work on my PC, so I switched to Firefox.
    IE worked fine for me until that day.
    Firefox works fine now.

I'm sure that if I could be arsed to start and use Opera that would work fine as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    It's not necessarily the case that ''IE is bad'', it's just missing a hell of a lot of useful stuff that Opera has. If IE is fine for your every day use then ok, but if you want to get more from browsing the net I suggest switching to another brower. wink

But every time someone says that to me and I ask them what they mean, they list a load of things that IE does actually do. So... what sort of thing do you mean?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If you use IE and you never think ''boy, I wish it could do this'' then IE is probably for you. If you've ever thought ''why can't I do this?!'' with it then you need to get another browser! Things like IE and Safari are fine for the casual user, but if you're on the net for the majority of the day then I highly reccomend Opera or Firefox.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    If you use IE and you never think ''boy, I wish it could do this'' then IE is probably for you. If you've ever thought ''why can't I do this?!'' with it then you need to get another browser! Things like IE and Safari are fine for the casual user, but if you're on the net for the majority of the day then I highly reccomend Opera or Firefox.

To be honest, I do spend a lot of time on the internet, so I'm eager to hear what I'm missing out on!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Why don't you just download it and see? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Because I can't be bothered, and nobody has ever told me a single thing that Firefox and Opera can do that IE can't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I actually use both Opera and IE. Opera has a vastly better interface, but for some reason, certain pages won't load etc. in Opera, while IE always works. I'm sure it must be some Flash or plug-in or whatever that's causing it, but there is a handful of sites I can only use in IE. The latest example is when I went to the WALL-E website to hear some of Newman's music play in the background. When I opened the site in Opera, I only heard the sounds of the robot, but when I opened it in IE, the music was there in the background. Strange.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    The latest example is when I went to the WALL-E website to hear some of Newman's music play in the background.

You're right! Tom's score can already be sneaked! (be it only a few seconds). And it sounds great! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Me neither, Bregje. I know people hate Microsoft and I understand the reasons why, but I'm always confused when people try to come up with reasons other than "I hate Microsoft" for not using IE, because there don't seem to be any.

Let me remind you that none of you were around when we were beta-testing this site here to witness the SHITLOAD of problems that ONLY the crap that is I.E brought up each and every time; i have nothing against Microsoft, it just sucks. Have you ever tried to work with HEAVY cpu usage software on windows (especially VISTA?) And by heavy i mean REALLY heavy, like video rendering with pro software or cutting edge, heavy games anything like that? It totally screws you, completely. You can't judge an operating system only by browsing the net, listening to music and opening ms office alone wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Let me remind you that none of you were around when we were beta-testing this site here to witness the SHITLOAD of problems that ONLY the crap that is I.E brought up each and every time; i have nothing against Microsoft, it just sucks. Have you ever tried to work with HEAVY cpu usage software on windows (especially VISTA?) And by heavy i mean REALLY heavy, like video rendering with pro software or cutting edge, heavy games anything like that? It totally screws you, completely. You can't judge an operating system only by browsing the net, listening to music and opening ms office alone wink

Um... right... but 99% of users won't do that... and still nobody's told me a single thing that Firefox and Opera do that IE doesn't? Why are you all holding back?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    - Speed dial
    - Favourites bar along the top
    - Multiple sites open in the same window
    - Spell checker
    - Widgets
    - Entire site zoom (images included)
    - Shortcuts to all search engines
    - Pause downloads
    - A whole window for downloads (not having a new window for each one)
    - Notes
    - Less of a memory hog than IE
    - Right click on e-mail links to actually get the email address rather than just "here, follow the link..."
    - Customize the toolbars to shit

That's just a few for Opera.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Hmm. I don't think I understand most of those! Why would you want them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well mate, really, the only way to convince you (or not) is to download it, add the spelling check thingies (if you're going to do it i'll tell you how), test it for a week or so and see for yourself wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I must admit, the spellcheck would be handy!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, don't go ''why would I use any of those things?'' before you even consider downloading it. That's just a list of features I use, and I only got Opera because Firefox kept crashing. dizzy

Get it, and I'm sure you'll find something you like! wink
  1. Anthony wrote
    - Speed dial
    - Favourites bar along the top
    - Multiple sites open in the same window
    - Spell checker
    - Widgets
    - Entire site zoom (images included)
    - Shortcuts to all search engines
    - Pause downloads
    - A whole window for downloads (not having a new window for each one)
    - Notes
    - Less of a memory hog than IE
    - Right click on e-mail links to actually get the email address rather than just "here, follow the link..."
    - Customize the toolbars to shit

That's just a few for Opera.

I've been using Opera for some time now and I'm not sure how to do many of these! I need to investigate...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    IE 6.0 sucks, not because it's Microsoft (I use a lot of their programs anyway) but because it is so dirty and lazy in parsing HTML and CSS, not following standards put up by whole communjities and organisations to create valid and well formed pages.

And really, James, Firefox is soo much handier.
    Needs a bit getting used to it, but after a few weeks, I'm sure you'll agree.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    IE 6.0 sucks,

People still use 6.0!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008 edited
    Apparently 40% of this site's visitors.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Good lord. The fools. 7.0 (which from what I can gather, stole all the best features from Firefox, which is really why I don't see the point changing) is a quantum improvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's already I.E.8 beta out
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    6.0 is better than 7.0 8.0 is worse than 7.0. IE in general is worse than everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    6.0 is better than 7.0

Hmm, now I think I know why you prefer Firefox. You clearly prefer tat. 6.0 is better than 7.0!? On what planet? smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    7.0 is trying to BE Firefox.

I prefer Opera over everything. wink Firefox is my latest trashed browser as it kept crashing. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here. Firefox screwed me, Opera saved me.