• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008
    This is holy grail country folks!

Premiere CD release made possible through the courtesy of Rhino Entertainment Company, Elektra Entertainment Group, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Inc., Irving Azoff, the estate of Elmer Bernstein, the University of Southern California Cinema-Television Library, and the Loc Nar.

One of the great ironies of soundtrack collecting is that one of the most fantastic symphonic scores ever written is for a movie entitled “Heavy Metal.” The 1981 animated feature Heavy Metal (adapted from stories published in the magazine of the same name) was an adult-oriented anthology with copious amounts of sex and violence. Sporting a hit soundtrack of contemporary pop-rock songs (licensing of which delayed the film’s video release until 1996), the film also benefited from an extraordinary symphonic score by Elmer Bernstein which did the lion’s share of the musical storytelling. (Bernstein was, at the time, the regular composer for producer Ivan Reitman.)

To put it simply, Heavy Metal is Elmer Bernstein’s Star Wars—a rich, vital, thunderingly symphonic work bursting with melody and drive. The anthology nature of the film allowed Bernstein to write distinct melodies for the disparate segments: from the heroic anthem of “Den” to the moody film noir stylings of “Harry Canyon,” and, especially, the soaring chorus and ondes Martenot of “Taarna”—the latter adapting the composer’s rejected love theme from Saturn III (1980).

Heavy Metal: The Score has long been desired by soundtrack collectors. FSM releases not only the original LP but the complete score remastered from the composer’s personal 1/4” stereo tapes (in excellent sound quality). The cue are presented in chronological order, with bonus tracks of selections edited for the 1981 Asylum Records LP—meaning listeners can, if so inclined, program a recreation of the original album sequence.

Liner notes for this historical and long-anticipated CD are by Paul Andrew MacLean, drawing from interviews with Bernstein and including new comments from orchestrator David Spear, who adapted two of the cues from Bernstein’s thematic material. The package is beautifully illustrated with stills from the film.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8949

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008 edited
    You beat me to it Erik! beer

AAAARRRRGGHHHHWABBAWABBAHEYHEYDOOBYDOOBYDOOOOOO!!

I said for years that this WOULD get a RELEASE one day and now it's FINALLY happened! shocked shocked shocked biggrin

Unfortunately this thread won't turn into the "page after page after page" that Lost Season III announcement did slant

It don't get much more epic this side of Rozsa folks! punk

And now I must go off and jibber....

%%(^&&O_*^%&()*&(*^%$$)&(*(^%$%$%£^%$£"$"$%^%&^*&&*(_
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fantastic news, I'll be buying this one right away.

Erik Woods wrote
    new comments from orchestrator David Spear, who adapted two of the cues from Bernstein’s thematic material.

Hmm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I said for years that this WOULD get a RELEASE one day and now it's FINALLY happened! shocked shocked shocked biggrin

wink biggrin

Timmer wrote
    Unfortunately this thread won't turn into the "page after page after page" that Lost Season III announcement did slant

It is unfortunate because this is simply magnificent film music and some of the best film music ever written. Taarna's Theme.... Ohhhhhhhhh Baby!!!

People... even if you have never heard this score... get it! I guarantee that you will love it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

People... even if you have never heard this score... get it! I guarantee that it will love it!

It has feelings? 'Spose I best buy it then, don't want to upset it. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

wink biggrin

Timmer wrote

It is unfortunate because this is simply magnificent film music and some of the best film music ever written. Taarna's Theme.... Ohhhhhhhhh Baby!!!

People... even if you have never heard this score... get it! I guarantee that you will love it!

-Erik-

THE TRUTH! cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm, one by one all my prized bootlegs are becoming worthless... cry

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmm, one by one all my prized bootlegs are becoming worthless... cry

biggrin

Great innit!? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Glad I didn't buy the bootleg for $38. I was looking at the bootleg yesterday and luckily I made the right decision.

Now this CD would make a beautiful pair together with my Frederic Talgorn "HM 2000" promo smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    elenewton wrote
    Glad I didn't buy the bootleg for $38. I was looking at the bootleg yesterday and luckily I made the right decision.

Now this CD would make a beautiful pair together with my Frederic Talgorn "HM 2000" promo smile

"phew" you had a lucky escape, the 'boot' don't sound that great either! slant

We'll now get to hear the score in it's full glory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tim mate, why so annoyed against LOST? It's not like it's Bates' 300 or something, rather the very contrary!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tim mate, why so annoyed against LOST? It's not like it's Bates' 300 or something, rather the very contrary!

Why so annoyed against Elfman!? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Just fantastic! punk

Thanks FSM! It's so cool to be able to listen to Taarna's theme on cd. I was planning on getting the Silva compilation just to hear the re-recording of the theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not annoyed at LOST at all, the scores are very good, it's just that I find it disappointing that it got/gets far more attention than a release like Heavy Metal, and it's not even released for over a Month yet.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Why so annoyed against Elfman!? tongue

biggrin

....explode.......explode........explode.........

^
    me walking on hot coals wink

p.s. I hope I don't have to explain anything else today, I'm in such a good mood! biggrin cool kiss

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not annoyed at LOST at all, the scores are very good, it's just that I find it disappointing that it got/gets far more attention than a release like Heavy Metal, and it's not even released for over a Month yet.

I also like Lost, but the reaction was slightly bewildering to me - after all, there are already two lengthy albums of music from Lost, whereas us fans of things like Heavy Metal or Viva Zapata and so on have had to wait a lifetime for them. But then, it will always be the current stuff that gets more attention, no great mystery I guess.

I hope that some people who only have very modern scores in their collection will take a plunge with Heavy Metal. I doubt that many would be disappointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i don't agree in the way you think that people should not be excited about a release of LOST which contains A LOT OF GREAT NEW material, as heard by everyone, just because older, possibly better scores remained unreleased. What does one have to do with the other besides your personal wish list? Why should the two self-cancel each other?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cut'n'paste from the FSM board:

This is interesting.

I have no connection to this movie (I've never seen it), but I do have a single track from the score on the excellent BERNSTEIN ON BERNSTEIN Denon compilation, and always thought to myself: how come a big fantasy film like this is represented with this slow, romantic tune with an ondes martenot? Is that how the rest of the score is? Well, I've listened to the sound clips now and understand that it's a fullbodied, orchestral fantasy thing that is right up most film score fans' alley. So I want to congratulate FSM once again for releasing something that has been highly sought-after, and from the amount of CAPS and exclamation marks in this thread, it's certainly filling a "hole"!

Of course, I wish you'd kept the LP presentation instead of "forcing it" into a C&C format, but I'm sure I'm alone in that.

What is REALLY GREAT, though, is that this was slipped in there without ANY of the pointless speculation things. Love that!

This is something that I may purchase down the road.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, i don't agree in the way you think that people should not be excited about a release of LOST which contains A LOT OF GREAT NEW material, as heard by everyone, just because older, possibly better scores remained unreleased. What does one have to do with the other besides your personal wish list? Why should the two self-cancel each other?

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no desire for people to not be excited by Lost! It's just a "grumpy old man" thing, wishing people got just as excited by things we think are equally (or more) deserving. Heavy Metal is vintage music by one of film music's all-time-greats - now that is cause for celebration and several pages of adulation - that's all. Not trying to take anything away from Lost or those who are excited by the coming release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can't argue with that, i am sure it is great; will have to check it out then! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    This is awesome news. I love this score!
  1. Thor wrote
    Of course, I wish you'd kept the LP presentation instead of "forcing it" into a C&C format, but I'm sure I'm alone in that.

There was no force involved. The album put on weight of its own accord in the years since its heyday.

Friends, we must unite against a common foe. Slay the Son of Odin. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    There was no force involved. The album put on weight of its own accord in the years since its heyday.

Well, I meant that it would have been better if they kept the LP program, and not breaking that up into a C&C presentation and then telling us to re-arrange it BACK to that LP program if we wanted to.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I prefer a G&T presentation myself. christmas_drunk

(What's C&C? Cut & Clear? Cristal and Claret? Crap & Cunt? confused )

As a matter of principle though I will ally myself to the Son Of Odin, as any proper Avenger should! Even if I have no clue what C&C is (though I bet it has something to do with the arrangement of the tracks on the CD), an LP presentation will by definition get a vote from me. Almost always a better listening experience!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Complete & Chronological. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Please don't ask what C&C is!

Edit - Ack! Too late!

Note: I often find myself agreeing with this anti-C&C presentation, but for this score, 30 minutes is a bit short. 45 minutes would have been perfect. I guess we'll just have to live with 57.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Too late!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Please don't ask what C&C is!

Why not?
    Will it explode like T&T?

biggrin christmas_drunk biggrin christmas_drunk biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Well, I meant that it would have been better if they kept the LP program, and not breaking that up into a C&C presentation and then telling us to re-arrange it BACK to that LP program if we wanted to.

Nooooooooooooo. I can't believe FSM gave us a choice to listen to it in it complete form or in the LP presentation. Choices! THOSE BASTARDS!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

Nooooooooooooo. I can't believe FSM gave us a choice to listen to it in it complete form or in the LP presentation. Choices! THOSE BASTARDS!!!

Well, it WOULD have been a choice if they'd actually presented both in the same package (a la THE FURY or GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD). I'm not interested in programming my CD player every time I pop it in. Nor should I be required to.
    I am extremely serious.