• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008 edited
    This is apparantly impossible to find on the internet, but how much more powerful is a GeForce 8800 Ultra compared to an 8800 GT or GTS?

Everything compares the GTS cards, but I can't find answers for Ultras vs. GT's.

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html will give you all the answers you need mate.

GeForce 8800 Ultra is way more powerful than the others, except perhaps GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB3 which comes very close. If you need to ask anything in specific, lemme know.

I got me this babe the other day *of course it's an agp 8x chipset which is an old technology, yours is most probably pci-e connectivity* http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products … p?gpid=211 and it kicks ass!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Thanks Demetris. smile I looked on a techie site last night. While the Ultra is more powerful, it's only a tweaked version of a GTS. I can buy two GT cards for the same price as a single Ultra and get roughly the same performance. If I want two Ultras it's £600 more! shocked It's a performance difference, but not a £600 performance difference. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008 edited
    Just bought another graphics card and waiting its delivery in a couple of hours; this time it's this babe here (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2& … odelmenu=1) to put it in simultaneous operation (SLI) with my gainward bliss 8800gt 512! Next upgrade is 4 gb of ram turn to 8! Yay, i just love pcs. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Just bought another graphics card and waiting its delivery in a couple of hours; this time it's this babe here (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2& … odelmenu=1) to put it in simultaneous operation (SLI) with my gainward bliss 8800gt 512! Next upgrade is 4 gb of ram turn to 8! Yay, i just love pcs. punk

You can play Max Payne at full power then tongue wink

Now, seriously, nice card.
    The upgrade in the ram has any effect in the games, I mean, more RAM -> better gaming?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Depends on the game. If it's ram-depended, or cpu-depended. Most of them are both but the most essential upgrade is the cpu 'cause even if you have screamingly fast cards (video) and ram, they will be all held back by the slow cpu. fsx for instance is 95+% cpu depended.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I made this thread? shocked

Well, for anyone that's interested, I got 2x 8800 GT's in the end. tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Me 2, from tomorrow morning. I'll be running on 2 8800 gt as well. What brands and models of GPU you have Anthony?

And how many ram, 4? And which processor please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Me 2, from tomorrow morning. I'll be running on 2 8800 gt as well. What brands and models of GPU you have Anthony?

there's a reason i am asking wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

there's a reason i am asking wink

AMD Dual Core 6400+
    4GB RAM
    2x 8800GT's (I'm not 100% sure of the manufacturer)

Note also though that I'm running XP Pro and not Vista ( vomit ) so I'm only in 32 bit mode (although 64 bit apparently makes bugger all difference in most things).

NOW WHAT IS YOUR REASON????
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2008
    You can't use directx10 in xp though, that's the problem.

I played CRYSIS : WARHEAD in full resolution, and the "gamer" mode in system settings. System dragged heavily when there were a lot of things in the scene. How does it respond in yours?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    You can't use directx10 in xp though, that's the problem.

I played CRYSIS : WARHEAD in full resolution, and the "gamer" mode in system settings. System dragged heavily when there were a lot of things in the scene. How does it respond in yours?

I'm running everything on my TV now so I can get away with running games in 800x600 and still having them look like 1280x1024 on my monitor. Even when I was running Crysis on my monitor at that res, I could still get around with most settings on medium and things like particles and effects on high. Look for the CCC (custom configuration..something) files available. Ones made by a guy nicknamed Cuban are really good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ok, just installed my SLi card, will going to try this.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23117
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Indeed, that's the one. Note you might not want to install the TOD mod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    Anthony, i have a question mate. I can't get tv-out via an s-video cable! how do you do it? i disable SLi 'cause it won't work with multiple monitors, restart, connect the s-video to my tv, turn it on, go to nvidia control panel and nothing, the tv won't appear and the "force tv detection" button is disabled!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited
    confused

God knows, I just use a VGA cable. tongue wink

Does your TV support s-video in?>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    how do you send the signal out? you just plug it in and there shows the picture on the tv screen automatically?
  1. So you still have a classic tube TV D? I remember all those years back I would connect my comp to mine and there were major hassles to get some decent picture on there, to the point where I just stopped bothering. In any case, with current TVs and their digital inputs it's a total breeze to configure.

Maybe that's the thing: are today's gfx cards incompatible with older TVs, or just analog connections? a wild guess here.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    yeah, i have one of those damn it
  2. Don't worry about it, I held out for a long time too, then after buying my PS3 at launch I finally gave in and bought a 37" Philips LCD with incredible beautiful picture all round, it's been one of the best purchases in my life, but a costly one. Now these TVs go out the stores at half or 1/3rd the price I bought it a year and half ago.

One of the first things I did was connect my PC to it, with a HDMI -> DVI cable, and just being blown away by the clarity and detail of the display. and best of all, all done within an instant through the Nvidia control panel.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    how do you send the signal out? you just plug it in and there shows the picture on the tv screen automatically?

Yes. Try turning the resolution down BEFORE you try and connect it to the TV. If I connect mine up and it's running on 1280x1024 I get no picture. Turn it down to something like 1024x768 and works fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i turned it down to 800*600 before i plugged the tv in but nothing.....will try 1024*768 and see what it'll do.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    i turned it down to 800*600 before i plugged the tv in but nothing.....will try 1024*768 and see what it'll do.

You're plugging it into the right PC output right? (top right out of the 4)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yeah, the black s-video round on in the top card of the SLi
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm all out of ideas then.

But have faith, Google will fix it.
  3. So sorry for not providing any helpful information because I don't have any knowledge on the matter except to ramble on about nonsense you have no interest in. cheesy

Why not check out the forums at Nvidia for your problem Demetris? I'm sure there's tons of people having done what you're trying to do...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    I will mate, i did google it and it seems that a lot of people are having the same problem and blaming it on dodgy nvidia drivers and vista but i refuse to believe it 'cause 1) people always like to rant about big companies, which i personally believe are FAR, FAR better than what the general view is in most of the cases and 2) i've tried older version of the geforce driver but with no luck. Funny thing is that the exact same tv and cables work wonders on my laptop wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So maybe it's Vista? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    vista x64? it's supposed to kick ass, don't know, will look it up.