• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Who would you really like to see co-compose a score together?

I say Michael Giacchino and Marco Beltrami. I just know we'd get an ARMY of percussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

If no score was ever co-composed again then I would be very happy indeed.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Why?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote

Agree!

Can you imagine two giants of the stature of John Williams and Ennio Morricone co-composing? dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Because it just dilutes what makes the composers good. Either one or both of them ends up having to just impersonate the other one. Don't like it. Ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Because it just dilutes what makes the composers good. Either one or both of them ends up having to just impersonate the other one. Don't like it. Ever.

Agreed 110%

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Can you imagine two giants of the stature of John Williams and Ennio Morricone co-composing? dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin

I can imagine...but they´d better hurry... spin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008 edited
    Having two composers work on one score doesn't necessarily make it twice as good, so I too agree with James.

Anthony wrote

I say Michael Giacchino and Marco Beltrami. I just know we'd get an ARMY of percussion.

Don't think that would work at all IMO. You'd get one mess of a score, I'd rather just listen to a Michael Giacchino score composed by him and him alone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Collaborations only work when something completely different is added to the mix.

Like the Propellerheads and David Arnold on Tomorrow Never Dies or Juno Reactor with Don Davis on the Matrix scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008 edited
    I think there's always a chance of being succesful in collaborating. Composers writing their own cues, while collaborating, works best in most cases. Last of the Mohicans.... Sometimes it doesn't work because they interfer too much with eachothers style and such. If you really want two composer to work on the entire score, through every cue, they must know eachother very well. Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil have been doing fantastic scores together, sometimes with Tykwer. But that's just because they all been together for so long.

I'm not with those who are against it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote

Agree!

Just in case anyone misunderstood, I don't think for one second Williams / Morricone would work.

One case where it did work was John Barry / Ken Thorne, where Barry wrote the themes and Thorne adapted them and integrated them into the underscore of the film Murphy's War.

BATMAN BEGINS is, I think a prime example of a "watered down" score, the hopes for this were very high amongst many people and though I think it's an enjoyable enough listen I'd have preferred it if JNH had been left alone to get on with it.
  1. Steven wrote
    ...I'd rather just listen to a Michael Giacchino score composed by him and him alone.

And I would rather just listen to a Marco Beltrami score. wink

I agree with Joep's comments - there's always a chance that there will be a successful score from a collaborative effort. But I would imagine that there needs to be clear "rules" set out at the outset that dictate who does what.

I liked what came out of the collaboration on Batman Begins. And it's difficult to predict whether anything composed by a single composer would have been any better. The Herrmann/Newman collaboration on The Egyptian is usually cited as a partnership that worked, but again, it seems that there were clear ideas on who did what. Part of the success was then how to join the two parts to a cohesive whole. Am I right in remembering that there wasn't that much "collaboration" between Herrmann or Newman in terms of melding the music into specific cues? It was more a case of writing separately for specific characters, situations and then bringing it all together at the end?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Agreed 110%

-Erik-

Mr Scotty, I need 115%! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Agreed 110%

-Erik-

Mr Scotty, I need 115%! wink

You cannae change the laws of physics!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

Yeah, nothing good can come out of it. Like "Chicken run" for instance. Awful score!

Peter tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, nothing good can come out of it. Like "Chicken run" for instance. Awful score!

Peter tongue

There are rare instances where a multi-composer score works... Chicken Run and Shrek are two excellent examples but both composers has such similar styles therefore it worked. Conflicting styles like a Zimmer and Newton Howard BATMAN BEGINS score where one composing style dominated the other did not work so well because Newton Howard was almost no where to be found. I think that if Newton Howard had the opportunity to compose the score himself you most likely would have had a more traditional sounding score that would have been the polar opposite to what Zimmer spat out.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Peter tongue

But you could argue that Powell gave the best musical moments to that score (which he did in my opinion), so was it the collaboration that made it brilliant, or was it Powell? (Either way, it was Powell's music that shone above all else.)
  3. I think good can come of it, but it's no coincidence that some of the better collaboration scores have come of the good MV/RC graduates. These are people who are used to working together, after all. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There's always the odd exception (though I don't think any of the Powell / Gregson-Williams collaborations are as good as Powell's solo animation scores). I even think the ultimate composer collaboration, The Egyptian, works best if you listen to the two composers' works in isolation and treat them almost as two separate things.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Peter tongue

But you could argue that Powell gave the best musical moments to that score (which he did in my opinion), so was it the collaboration that made it brilliant, or was it Powell? (Either way, it was Powell's music that shone above all else.)

Hehe, I agree, it probably was Powell. There's not really much stuff by Gregspn-Williams that I'd miss if it weren't there. There's that whole post about who did what in the Powell topic somewhere if you're interested. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008
    Saw it as soon as you posted it and edited the track artists immediately! wink (It pretty much confirmed what I already though, although I was surprised to see 'Rats!' composed by HGW.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Peter tongue

There are rare instances where a multi-composer score works... Chicken Run and Shrek are two excellent examples but both composers has such similar styles therefore it worked. Conflicting styles like a Zimmer and Newton Howard BATMAN BEGINS score where one composing style dominated the other did not work so well because Newton Howard was almost no where to be found. I think that if Newton Howard had the opportunity to compose the score himself you most likely would have had a more traditional sounding score that would have been the polar opposite to what Zimmer spat out.

-Erik-

I think JAMES NEWTON HOWARD is much more Zimmer-influenced than some people might think he is.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Peter tongue

-Erik-

I think JAMES NEWTON HOWARD is much more Zimmer-influenced than some people might think he is.

I think you may have a point? Please elaborate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, I have heard that often his working technique is very similar to Zimmer, with all the co-composers and so on. He just doesn't credit them the way Zimmer does. I don't know how much truth there is in that.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I thougth he only used co-composers (JHN) on the not-so-good scores like RV and Collateral? Antonio Pinto did loads of underscore for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Well, I have heard that often his working technique is very similar to Zimmer, with all the co-composers and so on. He just doesn't credit them the way Zimmer does. I don't know how much truth there is in that.

That, the troop thingy (remember the Alex incident over scorereviews for instance?) and that his music during the last 5 years has been too Zimmer influenced in some cases and in projects where Zimmer had nothing to do with. Maybe people should stop accusing Zimmer of overshadowing JNH in Batman Begins? I don't know, maybe JNH actually wrote stuff that IS in the movie and score cd but in the end sound like Zimmer too?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well I know I saw Batman Begins the other week and I'd never heard the score before. It all sounded like Zimmer... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't know, maybe JNH actually wrote stuff that IS in the movie and score cd but in the end sound like Zimmer too?

Yeah, I agree! It's kinda hard to tell because JNH uses synths in scores as well (can't remember if he did in those before Batman Begins...). But there were some of the portions of the score in tracks like "Barbastella", "Tadarida", "Antrozous" and "Corynorhinus" that definitely sounded like JNH's style to me, including the strings. That's only my opinion though smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't know, maybe JNH actually wrote stuff that IS in the movie and score cd but in the end sound like Zimmer too?

Yeah, I agree! It's kinda hard to tell because JNH uses synths in scores as well (can't remember if he did in those before Batman Begins...).

He certainly did. Just listen to The Fugitive for a prime example of his earlier synth use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, I agree! It's kinda hard to tell because JNH uses synths in scores as well (can't remember if he did in those before Batman Begins...).

He certainly did. Just listen to The Fugitive for a prime example of his earlier synth use.

Thanks! Going to listen to it now smile