• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Anthony wrote
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21881

New indy pic (looks sweet), plus John Williams has started scoring! biggrin

"He's really writing now and then we'll start scoring in February". wink

THE most looked forward to score of the year for me closely followed by Giacchino's 'Star Trek'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet Jesus. I literally have tears in my eyes. Indy with a bazooka that I hope he uses this time!

MAY 22nd CAN'T COME FAST ENOUGH

EDIT -- Higher res image
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9769/picture1za6.png

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    haha i knew it
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    BobdH wrote
    Anthony wrote
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21881

New indy pic (looks sweet), plus John Williams has started scoring! biggrin

"He's really writing now and then we'll start scoring in February". wink

What on earth? Now I look at that again, it makes no sense...

...he's writing now but he's not scoring?! Huh?! Or do they mean recording? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    ...he's writing now but he's not scoring?! Huh?! Or do they mean recording? confused

Yep wink The scoring of the film itself, so putting the score to the film, so: scoring smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Oh meh, I view it as spotting, scoring (writing) and recording. Shh. tongue
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    Here's a tidbit on what Indy 4 will sound like (no sound clips, I'm afraid but a teaser description of the score from Conrad Pope). From JWFan.net:

I talked to Conrad Pope last week and he said the music is written in the exact same style as the previous Indys. Very cartoonish (*not* mickey-mousing though!): lots of things happening in the score, quick licks in the woodwinds, etc... It really sounds like this Indy is going to be... a pure Indy film (at least in a musical sense ).

As a side note, we were looking at doing a recording session the first week of March in LA but it looks like there's a major hold for John Williams. Looks like all of LA's best players are on hold. Not sure if the recording is at the end of February and could go on for a little longer, or if it starts the second week of March and they wanted to have a few extra days before that just in case.

I hope it has the tenderness of Crusade and the thematic richness of Doom.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The thing that I wasn't too keen on with the previous Indy scores was how "small" they felt. Sure, it was a massive theme and all, but it felt like it was being played by a tiny little band. I hope the ''scope'' of it feels bigger this time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I did find that with the third one, but not the first two. I never quite put my finger on why. Williams is usually a master-orchestrator so it's odd - perhaps it was something to do with the recording - but I did always find Last Crusade to sound rather "small" and flat. It's the only Williams score that sounds like it, to my ears anyway.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, it's certainly more apparant with the Last Crusade, and the two before that just sound ''old''. I'm hoping this fills the gap! More crazy action music like the Utapu Chase stuff from Star Wars would be brilliant.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    I did find that with the third one, but not the first two. I never quite put my finger on why. Williams is usually a master-orchestrator so it's odd - perhaps it was something to do with the recording - but I did always find Last Crusade to sound rather "small" and flat. It's the only Williams score that sounds like it, to my ears anyway.

Well i'm sure Erik will tell you why The Last Crusade sounds like this. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm counting on it! His knowledge of the Indiana Jones scores is encyclopaedic.
  1. That 'truck chase' cue from RAIDERS brings on a beautiful familiar rush of adrenaline to this day. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I listened to that last night...again, it felt flat. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    msia2k75 wrote
    Southall wrote

Well i'm sure Erik will tell you why The Last Crusade sounds like this. biggrin

Two words. Dan Wallin! That is all. Last Crusade is a massive score and if recorded properly would have sounded big.

Raiders and Doom were wonderfully recorded by Eric Tomlinson and Lyle Burbridge (with Bruce Botnick) respectively and had tight recordings but were also allowed to breath which gave the scores that big full symphonic sound. Wallin's recording of Last Crusade thinned out the orchestra with most of the instruments mixed to the centre of the sound field with absolutely no punch. Just listen to how weak the brass and horns sound. If you want to hear how Last Crusade should have sounded like find Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops recording of "Escape from Venice" on Fantastic Journey and Great Movie Scores: The Films of Steven Spielberg albums. And the concert version of "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" on The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration album is properly recorded... the way it should have been on the OST. I've even heard the NY Philharmonic perform the latter half of "Indy's Very First Adventure" and it has never sounded better and the live recording gives that piece some life for the very first time. Let's hope Shawn Murphy doesn't mess up Crystal Skull.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Could you list the CDs these re-recordings are on? I'm very interested!

Edit: Leave me be Erik, it's too late and I'm still awake. sleep Cheers though. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

I did. Read the post again.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote
    Let's hope Shawn Murphy doesn't mess up Crystal Skull.

-Erik-

The guy has mixed many of Williams scores (in addition to some of John Powell's and JNH's scores), so I'm pretty confident the score will be mixed properly. But you never know.

I'm a bit confused when I first read about there being a major hold for Williams's Indy 4 score... I thought all the players were booked for other sessions. sad
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Was the Indys Very First Adventure performance released, or were you just lucky enough to hear that Erik?
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

The guy has mixed many of Williams scores (in addition to some of John Powell's and JNH's scores), so I'm pretty confident the score will be mixed properly. But you never know.

I'm a bit confused when I first read about there being a major hold for Williams's Indy 4 score... I thought all the players were booked for other sessions. sad

Murphy is excellent with Powell and Howard (and he was when he worked with Horner until Titanic), but with Williams it's really a mixed bag.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Ya... and a majority of them sound like crap! However, if he gives us a Phantom Menace or Prisoner of Azkaban mix then I will be happy but if AI and The Patriot Murphy shows up then I will be very disappointed.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Edit: Leave me be Erik, it's too late and I'm still awake. sleep Cheers though. beer

wink

-Erik-
  2. Anthony wrote
    I listened to that last night...again, it felt flat. sad

On CD, I think it does too. In the film though, they must have put some extra re-verb on it, because the opening in particular feels much stronger there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

Ya... and a majority of them sound like crap! However, if he gives us a Phantom Menace or Prisoner of Azkaban mix then I will be happy but if AI and The Patriot Murphy shows up then I will be very disappointed.

-Erik-

I can understand the animosity towards Wallin, but give Murphy a chance! wink

I keep hearing rumors about the previous three Indy scores getting complete releases, but if Paramount decides to do so (either before Indy 4 is released in theaters or DVD), wouldn't they have to pay re-use fees for the last two scores since those weren't buyouts? That could make the complete releases more expensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I heard a rumor that complete, un-film-edited versions of all 6 Star Wars scores will be re-released in proper sound quality in 2019.

Wait...that was the people in my fantasies talking.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I can understand the animosity towards Wallin, but give Murphy a chance! wink

I've been giving him a chance since 1987.

Matt C wrote
    I keep hearing rumors about the previous three Indy scores getting complete releases, but if Paramount decides to do so (either before Indy 4 is released in theaters or DVD), wouldn't they have to pay re-use fees for the last two scores since those weren't buyouts? That could make the complete releases more expensive.

That's true... but Lucas has bazillions of dollars. If he wanted them released in expanded form I'm sure he'll pay the tab.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Okay, maybe I can see where you're coming from with The Patriot, but A.I.? What the hell's wrong with A.I.!? 'The Reunion' is perfection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Okay, maybe I can see where you're coming from with The Patriot, but A.I.? What the hell's wrong with A.I.!? 'The Reunion' is perfection.

Over powered in the bass, rather flat and distant recording overall and tons of reverb. One of the most over processed scores I've heard.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

That's true... but Lucas has bazillions of dollars. If he wanted them released in expanded form I'm sure he'll pay the tab.

-Erik-

At the very least, a proper CD release of the scores for the first 3 films should be released. I really want Temple of Doom in my collection (and maybe Crystal Skulls after I see the film).
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

At the very least, a proper CD release of the scores for the first 3 films should be released. I really want Temple of Doom in my collection (and maybe Crystal Skulls after I see the film).

Ah that's the one i need too.
    I hope at the very least we're going to get a reprint of The Temple of Doom.