• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

3 CD set coming from LLL

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecord … mp;theater

HOLY SHIT! IMMEDIATE. MUST. BUY.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015
    I love the score and film (I consider both among the very finest of the 2000s), but this is obviously not for me. I'm well aware, however, that an expansion has been craved by fans for years (pr. the popularity of the academy award promo), so it must be a treat for them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Obviously.
  1. I have to revisit the score and possibly also the film. I'll consider the new release, yet I have never been a big fan of releases beyond 2 CDs. I might ultimately side with Thor in this case.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Flawed film, ineffective score. One of The Great Collaborators' rare throwaways for me (like Always).
    Neither is without merit, but having sampled both once I will not revisit them.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Thor doesn't want the newest expanded release. Yes, I woke up today and everything was right in the universe.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Flawed film, ineffective score. One of The Great Collaborators' rare throwaways for me (like Always).
    Neither is without merit, but having sampled both once I will not revisit them.

Wut.

...what about the last track? The Reunion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Meh.

As said, it's not bad.
    I just can take it or leave it (and then I'd much rather rvisit Angela's Ashes or some such score.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good grief. Really? uhm I'm genuinely shocked. 'The Reunion' is one of Williams' finest pieces!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Finest pieces? Crikey. Not even in the top 50 for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Crikey is right. shocked Fair 'nuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just checking my Williams playlist, and I can quite exactly and categorically state it's not even in my top 113. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't even know who you are anymore!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Things aren't always as we will them to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's good that we can disagree so vehemently once in a while, Martijn. For me, A.I. is a masterpiece in every sense of the word (and I don't use that word lightly) -- one of the very best films I've seen, and a score that's my 33rd favourite of all time!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Well I will buy AI expanded, you suckers. And I don't buy anything expanded these days.* It's one of the best, and the progression of the first and second acts was sorely lost on the previous album due to the emphasis on Monica's theme and the vocal interpretations of it. (Groban, ugh.)

* (Note that you probably haven't noticed this, because I don't advertise my buying habits as often as say... hmmm.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Good grief. Really? uhm I'm genuinely shocked. 'The Reunion' is one of Williams' finest pieces!

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not sure if I'll spend out on this yet though I am in agreement with everyone here who thinks JW's A.I. is brilliant. It IS! The film isn't without its merits either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The film is one I return to every so often, so there's obviously something about it which sits right with me. I guess the friction comes from it being a Kubrick idea through the rose-tinted spectacles of Spielberg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    I guess the friction comes from it being a Kubrick idea through the rose-tinted spectacles of Spielberg.

The thought that Spielberg would be responsible for those 'rose tinted' elements is a popular misconception. For example, the book 'A.I.: The vision behind the film' proofs it already contained that ending when it was still a Kubrick project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Exactly. But I remember discussing this film at LENGTH here at Maintitles (and other places), so I'm not sure I have the 'defense energy' in me to do it again right now, especially because I didn't get any sleep at all last night. Stupid body.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, I think the 'Spielberg tacked on a sentimental end' myth has been quite thoroughly debunked...which takes nothing away from the fact that the film would have been a SHITload better had that misfit aliens-or-humans-or-robots ending been cut anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I disagree. I think it's an absolutely essential part of the film, the way it's been structured.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. So do I. I actually consider the film a masterpiece.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. I'm listening to 'The Lost World' at the moment and as always am just astounded by how wonderfully orchestrated it is.

I remember reading an interview with Hans Zimmer and when asked what he thought of Williams he gushed that he had such a command of every part of the orchestra, every sound they can produce and how they work together. Of course it's just a small part of what makes him so brilliant, can't wait for the new "A.I." release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    I'm listening to 'The Lost World' at the moment and as always am just astounded by how wonderfully orchestrated it is.

I remember reading an interview with Hans Zimmer and when asked what he thought of Williams he gushed that he had such a command of every part of the orchestra, every sound they can produce and how they work together. Of course it's just a small part of what makes him so brilliant, can't wait for the new "A.I." release.

THE LOST WORLD took some time getting used to back when it came out (gone was most of the awe and wonder that made the first JP my alltime favourite score & soundtrack), but it has just grown and grown over the years. There's some wild, Stravinsky-esque stuff going on here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    So do I. I actually consider the film a masterpiece.

Oh yes, unquestionably. I even felt so back in 2001, when it received lots of flack left and right. It has thankfully begun to be appreciated more over the last 10 years, among cineastes and otherwise.
    I am extremely serious.

6. THE LOST WORLD took some time getting used to back when it came out (gone was most of the awe and wonder that made the first JP my alltime favourite score & soundtrack), but it has just grown and grown over the years. There's some wild, Stravinsky-esque stuff going on here.

I had the exact same experience when it was first released, the original had been such a seminal score for me (I wore out my original cassette tape) and although I enjoyed aspects of it right of the bat it did suffer in my mind as it was so different to the marvellous first score. Of course since then I've come to appreciate it for the masterpiece it is!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I like the first JP score better in the film, and the second score better on album. Both equally great in different ways.
  7. On AI's sentimentality, Spielberg did change one detail that made a big difference, turned an act that had a real ironic tang into something more innocent. David originally made Bloody Mary's for Monica, not coffee. So at the end he made her one.

Sometimes tone is about the little things. Sweet music played against that is very different to sugar with coffee. Spielberg has a kind of irony in him, but he has no teeth when children are involved, even robotic ones. He's a boring parent in that regard.

Keep in mind I got this out of one of the Kubrick bios so I haven't personally fact-checked it. I could easily believe it though.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am