• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015 edited
    Do you feel the same way when characters in, say, the Marvel universe who "clearly" die (certainly more explicitly than anything in WOTW, anyway) then return again? Like Nick Fury or Phil Coulson?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015
    Yes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Alrighty then. Enough said.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    uhm

I'm speechless. Did we just come to a mutual understanding????

beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha. If only....
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I think to be honest it's a sign of the power of a film score. If Williams had made less of a drama of the son running over the hill and then the firestorm that followed, audiences would have had more room for doubt. Here we are again, talking about the little things that make an idea one thing and not another. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I clearly need to see that scene again. I don't remember Williams making it into that pivotal sacrifice moment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Williams is all over that scene.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7rfWPb … EC1F803E4C

-ERik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015 edited
    It's not crying wolf if Spielberg and Williams simply wanted you to feel some of what Tom Cruise's character was feeling. The character thought his son was dead. I'd say it was scored appropriately. (edit: i would also add that since the whole film is shot in pretty limited perspective, that only letting the audience know and see what Tom Cruise knows and sees is in keeping with whole frame of the film.)

And I'll agree with Thor that the film is good. There are quite a few moments in that film that I thought were really gripping (the first time one of those tripods appeared, the scene where their van gets stolen, that whole basement scene). When it came out a lot of people complained about the weak resolution to the alien invasion, but that's hardly Spielberg's fault. That's the source material, and I thought Spielberg did a fine job book-ending it Morgan Freeman. I enjoyed the film.

And I didn't mind that the son was alive at the end. But I am a sucker for happy endings.
  2. I have a bigger issue with the son reuniting than the resolution to the invasion (which, yeah, is Wells - I'd have been far more irritated if they had gone for an Independence Day-style slam-bang-wallop action blowout finale). In general, though, I think it's a fantastic movie, one of the most vivid cinematic representations of awe and terror there is. I've said this before, but I'll take an ambitious-and-unique-but-flawed movie like War of the Worlds, A.I., Interstellar etc. over something that's technically fine but extremely safe, like most of the Marvel movies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015
    Thor wrote
    Never seen the Pal version (as far as I can remember)

It is rightly a classic, you really should see it Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Never seen the Pal version (as far as I can remember)

It is rightly a classic, you really should see it Thor.

I concur.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I will. But when it comes to most older sci fi/fantasy films, I rarely get engrossed in the narrative. I can marvel at what they managed at the time, but I always have a sort of 'academic distance' to what I'm watching.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I always have a sort of 'academic distance' to what I'm watching.

Kinda like when you drunk post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Does anyone know a really good purely orchestral rendition of 'When you wish upon a star'?

Wasn't really sure where to put this question but as I've always loved the way Williams used it in 'Close Encounters' I thought this as good a place as any.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015
    Well, there is THIS!

You can find it on THIS album.

-Erik-
  5. Thanks Erik! thought I had pretty much all of John Williams' Boston Pops albums but hadn't even heard of this one, just ordered it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015
    I guess there will be dozens of these over the next few months, but anyway, here's a Force Awakens interview with Williams:

http://www.afm.org/im/john-williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I guess there will be dozens of these over the next few months, but anyway, here's a Force Awakens interview with Williams:

http://www.afm.org/im/john-williams

My hope is that at least ONE of these interviews (all bound to be major media outlets) ask some questions that are NOT about STAR WARS. We, i.e. I, desperately need him to talk about the more osbcure items in his past before it's too late.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    My hope is that at least ONE of these interviews (all bound to be major media outlets) ask some questions that are NOT about STAR WARS.

And I'm sure that if you put a little hat on a snowball, it'll last a lot longer in hell.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015
    Mild spoilers warning, perhaps:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/06/detai … ens-score/

A couple of oddities: William Ross is conducting (but Williams is conducting the "crucial sequences himself"); and Williams wrote "the vast majority of the music"? I wonder if Ross is just conducting the rehearsal takes and Williams doing the recorded ones.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015 edited
    Sadly it sounds as if Williams is slowing down.

Not that he hasn't earned a good rest, by the gods he's given and when he got there he gave more and then some!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Sound like a "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" kind of collaboration, doesn't it?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm a little puzzled. Am I reading a piece by a guy who is trying to describe music he hasn't actually heard, based on second-hand hearsay? uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Basically: they're recording music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Sound like a "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" kind of collaboration, doesn't it?

Volker

Sounds like Ross is only conducting and not providing adapted music like he did with Chamber.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015
    The back injuries which have plagued Williams for the last 30 years have definitely had a consequence. Not too worried, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Sound like a "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" kind of collaboration, doesn't it?

Volker

Sounds like Ross is only conducting and not providing adapted music like he did with Chamber.

-Erik-

"It is important to note that while Ross is conducting, Williams wrote the vast majority of the music and is conducting the crucial sequences himself."
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015
    I don't buy that one bit!

-Erik-