• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016 edited
    Yeah, we've been discussing the upcoming album over on JWFAN. Check out the thread here, with various updates:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/ … s-ongoing/

It's the first album with Williams' own involvement since the Yo Yo Ma album in 2002, and the first film music-oriented album since WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS in '95 (obviously not counting the actual soundtracks since then).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2016
    I'm not usually one for Hollywood, self-congratulatory wankfests, but I admit I did get more than a few lumps in the throat watching Steven Spielberg's speech at John Williams' recent AFI award. A great display of why people love the man.
  1. So La La Land have just announced the release of a four disc set of 'Jurassic Park' and 'The Lost World' for next week.

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecord … 2904893755

This is an incredibly exciting release for me, I remember playing 'Jurassic Park' on cassette endlessly when it was released and along with ‘Jaws’ and ‘Star Wars’ it was one of the scores which really got me into my love of orchestral music, impossible to articulate how much this music means to me. And recently I saw ‘Jurassic Park’ played live to projection at the Royal Albert Hall too, I'd always been a little dubious of live to projection concerts but it was an absolutely incredible and surprisingly moving experience. Very excited about the expanded ‘Lost World’ being included too, such a rich score with incredible orchestration. I really can’t afford it at the moment but I’ll be ordering this as soon as it goes on sale next week!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016
    I can echo that, John. Most of you know JURASSIC PARK is my alltime favourite score, and like you, I have a long personal story to go with it (that I won't repeat here) -- the score that truly cemented my film music interest.

That being said, I will never buy any expansion of this (there was already one a couple of years ago, btw), not only because I hate expansions in general, but because I want to treasure and "shield" the original listening experience that means so much to me. I'm afraid that getting an expansion will dillute some of that relationship.

THE LOST WORLD is a great score too (and an underrated film).

But I'm already seeing fans salivating over this release, so I have no doubt it's going to be bestseller for LLL.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I got the 20th Anniversary release when it was released and it was great to get the additional tracks so there's not much additional music to get here. I'm not really a C&C guy though there are certainly exceptions! The main attraction to me is having the whole score gone through and cared for by Mike Matessino, the work on these Spielberg/Williams he's done in the past has been astounding, particularly 'Jaws' and 'AI'. Also looking forward to the notes and the whole package really.

'The Lost World' on the other hand I just can't wait to revel in the additional music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016 edited
    Oh wow, wow, wow! This has to be THE most exciting release for me on soundtrack level ever! Yes, I myself also have an incredibly personal history with these films and scores (what are the odds!), and having both these scores in expanded versions is something I've always wanted to have.

Jurassic Park of course is classic and iconic, but I consider The Lost World an incredible, flawless sequel score which perfectly shifts the tone, delivers something that's both unique and different from the first score while also maintaining just enough thematic continuity. When that full statement of the Jurassic Park theme starts in the end credits, oh man, goosebumps!

I know each and every note of each score, and knowing John Williams and the scores in full from the films I know these expanded versions will only extend the fun. I know there's not a bad note in there, so this is beyond exciting!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Lost World punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fucking finally.
  3. A fantastic release! There were times when I would have bought that set without hesitation. I have never been partial to the sequel score though. And the original sore of the first one already runs over 73 minutes. So that would be about 4 minutes of additional music that I never really missed. I think 75 Euros are too much for this for me at this point.
    But I am happy for everyone, I am sure there are many, for who this is a dream release.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I have never been partial to the sequel score though.

Weirdo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2016 edited
    shocked punk

Rather expensive but this is gold stuff... I'll have to think about it.
    Kazoo
  4. It's been a while since I've seen the sequel, but I loved the cue when guy who is only there to die is trying to use a jeep to pull the big-ass trailet back up off the cliff and the two T-Rex's show up. I have no idea what track that is on the CD, as I couldn't find a track name that seemed to indicate that scene (assuming it was even on the original CD).

Here's some of it with some triumphant brass performances around the end:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ2kxdQf3t0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. It was (though cut) released on the original CD. It's Rescuing Sarah.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2016
    THE LOST WORLD is a superb film, waaaaaay underrated. The cliff sequence may very well be the greatest action sequence of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2016 edited
    Oh definitely. Whenever I hear people complain about THE LOST WORLD I reference the Rescuing Sarah sequence. Specifically Sarah on the breaking glass is superb suspense, with terrific musical accompaniment by Williams (also, the moment of Sarah and Kelly in the tent with the visiting T-Rex). Set pieces like that, basically a scene within a scene in which the main threat of that moment does not even come from a dinosaur, is rare nowadays, with current blockbuster action sequences that need to be an ongoing assault from the main villain without much variation of tempo.
  6. Thor wrote
    The cliff sequence may very well be the greatest action sequence of all time.

Must be your usual weekend intoxication. On the other side spelling an grammar is correct. Strange.

smile Volker
  7. Yeah, that sequence is well orchestrated and superbly filmed. Still it's laughable and it pushes the film to the brink of self parody. Indeed the flavour of parody is all over the film.
  8. Spielberg himself started regretting making the film in the process of filming. Julianne Moore also has slammed it publicly ("well, it paid my divorce off").
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2016 edited
    There's a difference between not taking yourself too seriously and having fun with the concept, versus veering into self parody. If you ask me, Spielberg balances his film well within the first category, finding moments that are truly adventurous and suspenseful or even scary (the tall grass, the glass plate, the compies dine, the waterfall snake or that tent scene) while at other moments delivering a fun ride.

This very much as opposed to the horrible third part, and only marginally better Jurassic World, which are both very difficult to take seriously (part III being ridiculous from the start, while World took a while longer to get to that point).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    THE LOST WORLD is a superb film, waaaaaay underrated. The cliff sequence may very well be the greatest action sequence of all time.

I'll beg to differ. The whole thing is far too drawn out and over-egged, rather than feeling tense I got irritated and wanted the whole sequence to 'get on with it', oh look, they're trying to survive falling out of a caravan into the sea rolleyes get on with the fucking dinosaurs for fucks sake. Spielberg handles action well but this sequence is not one of his better moments IMO. The best thing I can say about it besides all the T-Rex scenes is that it gave JW the opportunity to give a sublime score highlight.

The camp 'tents' sequence is farrrr better, genuinely scary, tense and adrenaline pumping.

What is underrated about the film?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I'll beg to differ. The whole thing is far too drawn out and over-egged, rather than feeling tense I got irritated and wanted the whole sequence to 'get on with it', oh look, they're trying to survive falling out of a caravan into the sea rolleyes get on with the fucking dinosaurs for fucks sake. Spielberg handles action well but this sequence is not one of his better moments IMO. The best thing I can say about it besides all the T-Rex scenes is that it gave JW the opportunity to give a sublime score highlight.

The camp 'tents' sequence is farrrr better, genuinely scary, tense and adrenaline pumping.

What is underrated about the film?

Oh yes, we disagree strongly on this one. The film is chockful of brilliant, "kinetic" action setpieces and a terrific dark mood for the most part.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2016
    I absolutely adore the "King Kong" bits of The Lost World, when T-Rex hits San Diego.
    Those scenes, and the ones where the Tyrannosaurs pop up again in the "caravan drop" scene, are among my favourite Spielberg / dino scenes of all times.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Those bits are fun for what they are, but I'm ALL about the engrossing jungle ambiance! I wish the film had stayed there for the duration.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah. That was boring.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What was?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The jungle bits. Honestly I can't even remember much of those!
    (Aside from the Tyrannosaur bits. You know: the trees shaking and all that. Scary stuff!!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016
    We are clearly diametrically opposite on this issue; what you adored, I found rather silly and what I found the most interesting and engrossing, you found the most boring.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. There's a 'John Williams Celebration' with Gustavo Dudamel conducting the LA Philharmonic on Sky Arts channel this morning at 11:15. Footage of the LA Opening Gala 2014.

Oh the joys of working from home!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. My favourite bit of the Lost World is actually not featuring any dinos. It's the very moment with Sarah lying on the slowly breaking glass. I also like the grass trek sequence, the compy stuff is quite decent (especially with a typical random Swedish rant by Peter Stormare). I love Pete Postlethwaite's performance... I hate most of the script.

And it has a rare bad musical choice by Spielberg. Considering that we do know the original score for the scene and everything else points that Williams was right the first time... I find it quite odd.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016
    That's isn't very clear Pawel, what part was a bad musical choice?