• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2017
    Review of Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams, conducted by Keith Lockhart:

http://www.movie-wave.net/lights-camera-music/
  1. Your review convinced me to order the album.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBespin
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017 edited
    " Lights, Camera... Music! Six Decades of John Williams" what a great album.

Lockhart is a very good interpret of the music of John Williams, this album is ESSENTIAL.

Truly a great gift.. and now I expect a volume 2!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017
    Bespin wrote
    Truly a great gift.. and now I expect a volume 2!!!

I certainly hope there will be one -- and that it also includes some of the lesser-performed pieces.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017
    I watched a Perry Mason last night from 61-62 called The Case of the Ancient Romeo and I heard the Jaws theme except for the last note it was identical. Could it be that Williams' did work for the CBSlibrary back then?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBespin
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I watched a Perry Mason last night from 61-62 called The Case of the Ancient Romeo and I heard the Jaws theme except for the last note it was identical. Could it be that Williams' did work for the CBSlibrary back then?

Listen to the 4th movement of the 9th Symphony of Dvorak.

All is in the development :-)
  2. Bespin wrote
    sdtom wrote

Hm ... listen to the first seconds of Bernard Hermann's theme from North by Northwest. Or better still, listen to John Williams. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2017
    Or listen to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", for Chrissakes!

No, Tom, to my knowledge Williams did not work on PERRY MASON or the CBS library.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Bespin wrote
    sdtom wrote

Hm ... listen to the first seconds of Bernard Hermann's theme from North by Northwest. Or better still, listen to John Williams. smile

Volker

I know you've said this before but I maintain that any similarity between Jaws and NXNW is fleeting and coincidental at most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017
    N...
    X...
    N...
    W

Did you just make that up? rolleyes kill
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wasn't that a rap group?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It's a student housing facility at Western Washington University. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    Or listen to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", for Chrissakes!

No, Tom, to my knowledge Williams did not work on PERRY MASON or the CBS library.

I'm not saying that he copied anything only did the cue maybe had something to do with him
    listen to more classical music!
  5. I was on my phone and couldn't be arsed to type the whole thing out, okay? shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2017
    "Scherzo for X-Wings" is a great track for swordfighting...
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aidabaida wrote
    "Scherzo for X-Wings" is a great track for swordfighting...

This is likely the most random remark I'll agree with today!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Every time I see a new post in this thread, I'm worried it's to tell us he died.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    Every time I see a new post in this thread, I'm worried it's to tell us he died.

He's in great shape, plays tennis...no cancer or anything. Don't be worried.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2017
    Not so much tennis anymore, but he takes long walks every day and still plays golf.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2017
    Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote

He's in great shape, plays tennis...no cancer or anything. Don't be worried.

Thanks, kid!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017
    It had escaped my attention that the only currently-in-print versions of the original Star Wars trilogy scores are the original albums and not the special edition expansions. They’re on Disney Records, the rights having seemingly reverted from Sony.

I have never own d any version of these scores except the special edition ones. I love them dearly but particularly Empire and Jedi are just too long for me to ever listen to, and because of the way they’re produced with so many tracks combined into longer ones, it’s not very simple to distill them down to something shorter.

Has anyone hear heard these “current” versions? How is the sound? Am considering investing in Jedi because it doesn’t look like I can get anywhere near replicating the original album from the extended one. (Not as bothered about Empire because I recently got the Gethardt recording which is a perfect distillation.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Southall wrote
    It had escaped my attention that the only currently-in-print versions of the original Star Wars trilogy scores are the original albums and not the special edition expansions. They’re on Disney Records, the rights having seemingly reverted from Sony.

I have never own d any version of these scores except the special edition ones. I love them dearly but particularly Empire and Jedi are just too long for me to ever listen to, and because of the way they’re produced with so many tracks combined into longer ones, it’s not very simple to distill them down to something shorter.

Has anyone hear heard these “current” versions? How is the sound? Am considering investing in Jedi because it doesn’t look like I can get anywhere near replicating the original album from the extended one. (Not as bothered about Empire because I recently got the Gethardt recording which is a perfect distillation.)

I had the special editions on Amazon Prime Music, then one day they disappeared and were replaced with the original albums, containing about half the music actually in the movie. Really annoying!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I owned the 2CD RCA special editions of these once. Never cared for them, so I sold them. I'm perfectly content with my Arista box CDs. Curiously, I don't think I ever owned the original soundtracks of either three (the original LPs subsequently released on CD), but I've heard them and I think they're great.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Those Sony sets are still in print in Germany. The original albums are not. I'm talking CDs here, not downloads.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Those Sony sets are still in print in Germany. The original albums are not. I'm talking CDs here, not downloads.

Volker

Jup, same here in the Netherlands. Both the Corellian 7-disc edition and the older silver/black 6-disc box are still in print? The original albums are not in print on CD, but they are in the iTunes Store. Digitally you're right, I'd noticed that. The sound quality is fine, if a little "old school".

Given Sony released that "ultimate vinyl" edition as recently as 2016, after the whole Disney tale-over, which is also still in print, I'm not sure they've lost the rights just yet? Maybe only for digital, with Disney not having the rights for their remastering?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBespin
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017 edited
    A new entry has been added to the discography, the 60th anniverary edition of Funny Face.

Funny Face - 60th Anniversary Edition (2017, Verve, 602557915709)
    Featuring John Williams (p). Contains previously unreleased material.

___

And this new entry in the discography as a composer, a 7th recording of the Concerto for Tuba:

New York Philharmonic Orchestra - 175th Anniversay - 2016/2017 Season (2017, New York Philharmonic Digital Release; Bray, Baer/New York Philh. O/Gilbert, Robertson)
    John Williams: Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra (Baer, New York Philh. O, Robertson).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBespin
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017 edited
    BTW 2017 is yet a great year... so here's alittle recap of all the previous releases and reissues we had so far.

- Star Wars [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1977, 20th Century Records, L 45753/4 [2T-54]; London SO/Williams)

(Reissued for digital download in 2017, Walt Disney Records)

- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back [The Original Soundtrack From The Motion Picture] (1980, RSO, RS-2-4201; London SO/Williams)

- E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial [Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1982, MCA Records, MCA 6109)

(Reissued in 2017 as "E.T. The Extra - Terrestrial: 35th Anniversary Limited Edition [4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital HD + CD]", Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Remastered)

- Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi [The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1983, RSO, 811 767-1 Y-1/422-811 767-1 Y-1; London SO/Williams)

- Star Wars – Episode I: The Phantom Menace [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1999, Sony Classical, SK 61816; London SO/Williams, London Voices, New London Children's Ch.)

- Star Wars – Episode II: Attack of the Clones [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2002, Sony Classical, SK 89965; London SO/Williams, London Voices)

- Star Wars – Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2005, Sony Classical, SK 94220; London SO/Williams, London Voices/Edwards)

- Raiders of the Lost Ark [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1981) (2008, Concord Records, CRE-31002-02; London SO/Williams)

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Concord Records, 0000342)

- Lincoln [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2012, Sony Classical, 88725446852; Chicago SO/Williams, Chicago S Ch.)

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Music On Vinyl, MOVATM156)

- Jaws [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1975) (2015, Intrada, INT 7145)

(Reissued partially in 2017 as 2-LP, available in "Ocean Blue" Vinyl and "Gram Black" Vinyl, Mondo Records, MOND-115)
    Disc 1: Jaws – Main Title; The First Victim; Remains On The Beach; The Empty Raft (Extended Version); The Pier Incident; Father And Son (Film Version); The Alimentary Canal; Ben Gardner's Boat; Montage; Into The Estuary; Out To Sea (Film Version); Tug On The Line; Man Against Beast (Film Version); Disc 2: Quint's Tale; Brody Panics; Barrel Off Starboard; Great Chase; Shark Tows Orca; Three Barrels Under; From Bad To Worse; Quint Thinks It Over; The Shark Cage Fugue; The Shark Approaches (Film Version); The Shark Hits The Cage; Quint Meets His End; Blown To Bits; Jaws – End Title.

-Star Wars: The Force Awakens [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2015, Walt Disney Records, D002177202; Williams/Ross/Dudamel)

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP Limited Collector's Edition with 4 collectable covers, I Am Shark, IAS015)

- John Williams/Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection (2017, Sony Classical, Compilation)
    CD 1 - The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration: Raiders Of The Lost Ark - The Raiders March; Always - Theme; E. T. - Adventures On Earth; Sugarland Express - Theme; Jaws - Theme; Jaws - Out To Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue; Empire Of The Sun - Exsultate Justi; Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - Parade Of The Slave Children; E. T. - Over The Moon; 1941 - March; Empire Of The Sun - Cadillac Of The Skies; Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Excerpts; CD 2 - Williams on Williams – Classic Spielberg Scores: E. T. The Extra-Terrestial - Flying; Jurassic Park - Theme; Schindler's List - Remembrances; Hook - Flight To Neverland; 1941 - The Battle For Hollywood; Hook - Smee's Plan; Jaws - The Barrel Chase; Jurassic Park - My Friend, The Brachiosaurus ; Empire Of The Sun - Jim's New Life; Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - The Dialogue; Hook - The Lost Boys' Ballet; Schindler's List - Theme; Raiders Of The Lost Ark - The Basket Chase; Hook - The Face Of Pan; Hook - The Banquet. CD 3 - The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III*: The Adventures of Mutt from "Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"; Dry Your Tears, Afrika from "Amistad"; The BFG from "The BFG"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln"; The Duel from "The Adventures of Tintin"; A New Beginning from "Minority Report"; Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from "Catch Me If You Can"; Marion's Theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"; Hymn to the Fallen from "Saving Private Ryan"; Dartmoor, 1912 from "War Horse"; Viktor's Tale from "The Terminal"; Prayer for Peace from "Munich"; Immigration and Building from "The Unfinished Journey"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln" (Alternate Version); DVD - Steven Spielberg & John Williams: The Adventure Continues. *Contains previously unreleased material.

- The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III (2017, Sony Classical, Digital release; Clark, Erdody, Foster, Higgins, Hooten, Valerio, Grubinger, Williams, Recording Arts O of LA)
    The Adventures of Mutt from "Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"; Dry Your Tears, Afrika from "Amistad"; The BFG from "The BFG"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln"; The Duel from "The Adventures of Tintin"; A New Beginning from "Minority Report"; Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from "Catch Me If You Can"; Marion's Theme from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"; Hymn to the Fallen from "Saving Private Ryan"; Dartmoor, 1912 from "War Horse"; Viktor's Tale from "The Terminal"; Prayer for Peace from "Munich"; Immigration and Building from "The Unfinished Journey"; With Malice Toward None from "Lincoln" (Alternate Version).

- Stanley & Iris: The Deluxe Edition/Pete 'n' Tillie (1990/1972) (2017, Varèse Sarabande, VCL03171178)
    STANLEY & IRIS (1990): Stanley And Iris; The Bicycle; The Pink Sweater; Iris After Work; Stanley At Work; Looking After Papa; Entering The Library; Night Visit; Factory Work; Naming The Trees; Finding A Family; Lost In The Streets; Stanley's Invention; The Kitchen Table; Seeing The Baby; Reading Lessons; Growing Together; Putting It All Together; Letters; End Title; FILM VERSIONS: Stanley And Iris; Stanley At Work; Looking After Papa; Stanley's Invention; Putting It All Together; Letters; PETE 'N' TILLIE (1972): Pete 'n' Tillie — Main Title; Afterglow; Marriage Book; Bedroom Scene; Vacation; For Robbie; Funeral; Hospital; End Title and End Cast; Love Theme. "Pete 'n' Tillie": Previously unreleased original score.

- E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - 35th Anniversary Remastered Edition (1982) (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1420)
    CD 1 - THE FILM SCORE PRESENTATION: Main Title; Far From Home / E.T. Alone; Bait for E.T.; Meeting E.T.; E.T.'s New Home; The Beginning of a Friendship; Toys; I'm Keeping Him; E.T.'s Powers; The Closet*; E.T. and Elliott Get Drunk; Frogs; At Home; The Magic of Halloween; Sending the Signal; Searching for E.T.; Invading Elliott's House; Stay With Me*; Losing E.T.; E.T. Is Alive; The Rescue and Bike Chase; The Departure; End Credits; CD 2 - THE 1982 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM: Three Million Light Years From Home; Abandoned and Pursued; E.T. and Me; E.T.'s Halloween; Flying; E.T. Phone Home; Over the Moon; Adventure on Earth; ADDITIONAL MUSIC: The E.T. Adventure*; Far From Home / E.T. Alone (alternate)**; The Encounter*; Meeting E.T. (alternate)*; E.T.'s New Home (alternate); The Kiss*; Levitation*; Searching for E.T. (alternate); Invading Elliott's House (alternate)**; E.T. Is Dying; The Departure (alternate); End Credits (alternate). **Contains previously unreleased music, *Previously unreleased music.

With Jack Marshall

- Thunder Road - The Film Music of Jack Marshall (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1434)
    "Thunder Road": Featuring John T. Williams (p). Previously unreleased original scores from Thunder Road (1958), Take a Giant Step (1959) and The Rabbit Trap (1959).

With Franz Waxman

- Peyton Place/Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man (1957/1962) (2017, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1423, Compilation)

"Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man": Featuring John Williams (p).

With Yo-Yo Ma

- Yo-Yo Ma Plays The Music Of John Williams (2002, Sony Classical, 89670; Ma, Recording Arts O of LA/Williams)

(Reissued in 2017 as 2-LP, Music On Vinyl, MO

Discography as a Composer

- 2017 "Lights, Camera...Music! Six Decades of John Williams". Boston Pops Orchestra/Keith Lockhart. BSO Classics 1704
    - 2017 "John Williams: Themes and Transcriptions for Piano". Simone Pedroni. Varèse Sarabande 3020674788
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited
    I transcribed and recorded all of the horns and trumpets from Far and Away's cue The Land Race ( one my favorite JW pieces !)

Here is it wink

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkwOgVWwJE
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2017
    The trailer for a new Spielberg film is out, The Post, and it looks boring as hell. I can't imagine Williams' score will be particularly interesting. Thank heavens for Episode VIII.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2017
    That movie looks like it's taking a bunch of my favourite actors and making them look really old. Would watch though.