• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    It's really just two notes, in a repetetive rhythm with slight variations.
    It's much like the "Empire motif" in A New Hope.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Martijn wrote

Is this theme heard in Return and In Attack ??

thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think so?
    At least I don't remember it.

But I'm far more up to date with the original trilogy than with the re-issues or the prequels, so it may well have been slipped in. I would look to Steven or Erik to may be able to answer that one?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Re: Born on the Fourth of July...

There is a great bootleg with complete score, though with one disadvantage. It has the film score and some kind of alternates, which really don't differ much from the original (though Prologue e.g. features the main theme too). I am a VERY BIG fan of the mournful dark trumpet theme. Probably (yes, yes, I think so) foreshadowing the stuff Zimmer was doing in MV with synths as a base for solo trumpet. Great stuff, some of the best he's ever devised (not really written, I'm more adoring the idea than the whole motif, which belongs to his simplest stuff, albeit most effective).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Re: Born on the Fourth of July...

There is a great bootleg with complete score...

It also has one of the most bizarre endings I've ever heard on an album. Had me laughing for a bit because of its utter randomness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    I don't think so?
    At least I don't remember it.

But I'm far more up to date with the original trilogy than with the re-issues or the prequels, so it may well have been slipped in. I would look to Steven or Erik to may be able to answer that one?

Well...I think the new trilogy can be better or worst in musical level, but I think it's very poor as a trilogy.

I asked that some days ago.... Any explanation about why lucas or Williams scored some scenes from Empire's final climax with yoda's heroic theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And the answer was: because it sounds good.
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    Martijn wrote
    punk

Is it your Answer or his Answer?

Your opinion is important...I don't want to be missunderstood tongue

Anyway, this is my only complaintment to Empire Strikes Back score. Yoda's theme in his heroic version seems too "happy", I would prefer an heroic version of the force theme (yeap I know, we have this theme played a lot ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    punk

Exactly... just like Leia's Theme sounded good right after Luke witnessing Kenobi's death.

I'd say that the use of Yoda's theme would mean that Yoda's training is coming into play. Yoda's presence is there while Luke attempts to rescue his friends.

-Erik-

PS - Fett's theme is NOT in Jedi.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    punk

I'd say that the use of Yoda's theme would mean that Yoda's training is coming into play. Yoda's presence is there while Luke attempts to rescue his friends.

-Erik-

Yeap. I thought the same.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

A New what!!????

Call yerself a Star Trek fan? tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    OK, if you have the four-CD Star Wars Trilogy box set, it's on disk 4, track 17 Carbon Freeze / Luke Pursues the Captives / Departure of Boba Fett at 3:36 - 4:11

NEEEERRDD!!!!!!! biggrin

wink

How's that Greenhouse of yours coming along? wink

He knows I love him really... kiss

(Most of my flatmates are nerds (the cool kind, geeks if you will wink) and we have a habit of shouting out "nerd!" whenever someone does something, well, nerdy. biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    punk

-Erik-

Actually -aside from the aesthetic element which I already refered to wink - I think it may also be a reminder / reference of the fact that Yoda actually foresaw and predicted this scene earlier in the film when Luke had his vision on Dagboah and asked Yoda to elucidate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

A New what!!????

If I reference the Empire motif in Star Wars, how many people are going to understand what I mean? rolleyes

Call yerself a Star Trek fan? tongue

Har bloody har
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    punk

-Erik-

Actually -aside from the aesthetic element which I already refered to wink - I think it may also be a reminder / reference of the fact that Yoda actually foresaw and predicted this scene earlier in the film when Luke had his vision on Dagboah and asked Yoda to elucidate.

Of course, because Yoda said about he was going into a trap, and he was not ready yet. wink

But for this reason I hoped for something more dramatic, even with the yoda's theme.

But Ey! Still Empire Strikes Back is perfect in every note!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Williams?!?....I think that's the bartender in one of the pubs I'm frequenting.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Martijn wrote
    If I reference the Empire motif in Star Wars, how many people are going to understand what I mean? rolleyes

I am.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What are Williams' best action scores? He's written some bad-ass action music (well, he's written bad-ass music of every kind), but what are his best? I've already got all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores, but also Minority Report. Anything else that I must get? smile

P.S. As we're talking about Star Wars here, what I didn't get was why we got the Droid Army theme when we were shown the clone army in episode 2. That confused me as I wasn't sure if they were meant to be bad or whatever...oh well, that's why temp music sucks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    That confused me as I wasn't sure if they were meant to be bad or whatever...

That's the point, innit?
    They were bad, but only we, the audience, actually knew.
    Foreshadowing, like the Imperial March playing over the troop transports at the end.

Mogens wrote
    Martijn wrote

I am.

You and Tim are shining beacons in a sea of darkness. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    All I know after watching episode 3 again tonight (just for that opening battle) is I noticed the main theme, the love theme, the Imperial March, Duel of the Fates tracking, that new battle theme at the end, the "force" theme and what's that one introduced right at the end? Leia's?

Still, the droid army theme for the win! I love that. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited
    Boba Fett theme is heard in the beggining of "Attacking a Star Destroyer"," Imperial Starfleet deployed" and in "betrayal at spin".Good, I still discover themes and motifs!

Seriously, Any motif for R2-d2 and C3-PO?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not really. There's a suggestion of one at the beginning of Star Wars, during the jawa scenes, and again when R2 and 3-PO first enter the ice hangar in Empire and again when they approach Jabba's palace in Jedi, but it's more in the instrumentation (which is a recognizable Williams' "comic configuration") than a really defined theme.
  2. Anthony wrote
    What are Williams' best action scores?

I still think that the action music he wrote for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back is his best stuff.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote

I still think that the action music he wrote for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back is his best stuff.

Yes. "battle Of Hoth" and "Asteroids Field" is not just his best action music but also some of the best action stuff I ever heard.

Take note Shore!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Seriously, Any motif for R2-d2 and C3-PO?

Absolutely. Read the liner notes of The Empire Strikes Back RCA set and it will tell you when and where. Man, do you do ANY research yourself?

Anyway, I might as well tell you because I like to show off. wink

"Main Title/The Ice Planet Hoth" on the RCA set - 6:24 mark
    or
    "Main Title / The Imperial Probe (Extended Version)" on the Fox Set - 6:14 mark.

Humm... interesting... different timings. Oh well...

Anyway, the Droid's motif is scattered throughout the score even in heroic fashion during the final moments of "Hyperspace."

Anthony wrote

Wow! Where to begin...

- The Indy Trilogy
    - The Lost World: Jurassic Park

But Williams doesn't write for action films per se. However, there are a ton of fabulous action cues scattered throughout dozens and dozens of his scores... far too main to list.

FalkirkBairn wrote

There are some knock out action cues in Jedi as well. "Into The Trap, Rancor Pit, Sail Barge Battle, the epic action music from the Battle on Endor, etc." It's all pretty spectacular!

Nautilus wrote
    Take note Shore!

If you are referring to Shore's action music from LOTR then you are way off. There is no way that Williamesque action music would have worked in LOTR. It's just not that type of movie. What Shore provide was EXACTLY what the film needed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

Absolutely. Read the liner notes of The Empire Strikes Back RCA set and it will tell you when and where. Man, do you do ANY research yourself?

."

I don't use to read the track descriptions from this kind of this kind of liner notes. Im more interested when they talk about the process of the music.....I still have to read the liner notes from Aliens and Total Recall andI have bought both deluxe editions.

Erik Woods wrote

If you are referring to Shore's action music from LOTR then you are way off. There is no way that Williamesque action music would have worked in LOTR. It's just not that type of movie. What Shore provide was EXACTLY what the film needed!

-Erik-

I never im agree with this kind of Arguments :" this music will not work here or there". Like when someone says something like "the prestige had the best music posible, something more thematic couldn't work here"
    It's not true! Always the music can be more thematic or more dinamic and works in the same way or even better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

Anyway, the Droid's motif is scattered throughout the score even in heroic fashion during the final moments of "Hyperspace."

-Erik-

Yeap, "hyperspace" (Fox Anthology) 1:38 cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    I never im agree with this kind of Arguments :" this music will not work here or there". Like when someone says something like "the prestige had the best music posible, something more thematic couldn't work here"
    It's not true! Always the music can be more thematic or more dinamic and works in the same way or even better!

Which is why John Powell is such a genius.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

But it wouldn't have. Williams action style would have been out of place... however, if he did something more along the lines of War of the Worlds... maybe. What Shore did was spot on.

-Erik-