• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    besides the concert version of the love theme and the first chase... what else does the score deliver? Nothing.

Completely agree. smile wink

Thanks.

The middle portions of the album bores me to tears. It's Williams just noodling around with the orchestra without saying anything. What's great about the original trilogy is the that every single NOTE has a purpose.

I think unfortunately this came down the film post-Coruscant cutting between a budding romance (solid theme, but it's development isn't the most gripping musical thread of STAR WARS) and a mystery w/ occasional bursts of action. The mystery side of things entails much Bernard Herrmann style scoring, except in the violent eruptions (Jango's Escape and Asteroid Chase, which are two of Williams' lesser modern action cues for me). So there's a lot of running arpeggiations up-the-scale, down-the-scale, etc. If you think about it, none of the other STAR WARS films concentrate on mystery for such a large section of their plots, so it's natural that this isn't going to fit in very well. The strongest section of it for me is probably when Anakin finds his mother and then erupts in rage, then returns home. Some good stuff there. (The entry to Kamino is good too, but on the album, that's the first track!)

Incidentally, I'm not saying you're wrong. ATTACK OF THE CLONES wouldn't be on my list of greatest scores, Williams scores, Star Wars scores, or sci-fi scores. It probably would be on my list of 2002 scores, and that's partly because when he decides to write music that tries to be murky and mysterious, he still writes it better than most of his colleagues would.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Well well... Aint It Cool casts the first stone.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36667
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36677

Hmmm... they're not great review writers, but despite that they're not sending out good signals. One would have thought these geeks would be more sympathetic to a new Indiana Jones film than most.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Action music that used to be melodic.

That's the key phrase, right there.
    All this talk about "maturing" notwithstanding, the ONE thing people will ALWAYS come back for time and time again, is a proper melody. I don't care how clever the use of a diatonic triangle in asyncopated rhythmic developments is, I need a chord change I can follow and recognize.

It's something that's sorely lacking in a lot of film music today (especially action music).

I'm not bashing any composer trying to go for a more "developed" sound (though that's a label I would argue with), but the simple truth of the matter is that it's his melodic themes that will be remembered, and revisited in public memory.

Certainly I will be one who will always return to that part of Williams (or any composer for that matter), as it has the strongest emotional effect on me (never mind how much I may appreciate -a different aspect- other sides of his compository skills).

Very well put Martijn.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm just finding that some of his stuff is starting to sound the same and that something you wouldn't find in his music 20 to 30 years ago.

Interesting. I find as much variety between Geisha, Munich, War of the Worlds and Revenge of the Sith (all written in the same year!) as any other four consecutive scores in his career - a lot more than most, actually.

For whatever reason I just find it a lot easier to sit and listen to his modern scores than some - by no means all - of his "golden period" ones.

Couldn't agree more James.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008
    About Amazon Clips from Indy 4...

Does anyone hear "basic instinc" on it?

I like the new orchestration of Raiders march and Irina's theme....

But from what I hear in the clips it seems a little bit forced Williams Score. I mean Williams tries too hard to make a good indy score... trying to do this kind of

And again timpanis all araound...

but ey! they are a 30 seconds clips, I can't wait for the whole indy score. I will buy it for sure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    About Amazon Clips from Indy 4...

Does anyone hear "basic instinc" on it?

Yeah! And did you also notice Williams uses an orchestra?! That's, like, so done before, already!

Man, you are paranoid, beyond healthy rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I remember Williams saying in an interview that Goldsmith's Basic Instinct was the sound he was trying to achieve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

But from what I hear in the clips it seems a little bit forced Williams Score. I mean Williams tries too hard to make a good indy score... trying to do this kind of

You're absolutely right, he does try too hard. He should have just scribbled a few notes on a piece of paper and let the orchestrators do the rest. Shame on Williams, shame on him.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You're absolutely right, he does try too hard. He should have just scribbled a few notes on a piece of paper and let the orchestras do the rest. Shame on Williams, shame on him.

Hell, or second to that, he should have just let Alti Orvasson score it! rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thank god we have composers like Djawadi and Orvasson who know how to produce a real score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You're absolutely right, he does try too hard. He should have just scribbled a few notes on a piece of paper and let the orchestras do the rest. Shame on Williams, shame on him.

Hell, or second to that, he should have just let Alti Orvasson score it! rolleyes wink

Perhaps I'm overwhemed because I use to listen a 2 notes long themes.

Now talking seriously....Can anyone be realistic even if is John Williams????

Anyway..I didn't say it's not good. And of course they are 30 second clips!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We really don't need your 'review' of the 30 second clips (as hilarious as they are).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    We really don't need your 'review' of the 30 second clips (as hilarious as they are).

Well, I don't really need your commments about my 30 second's clips reviews, or your comments about my level of inteligence, or ....

Ey! I don't want join this "game"

sleep beer moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just saying what everyone else is thinking. beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

applause

Nautilus wrote

my 30 second's clips reviews

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote

Nope! Im sure this kind of things is why some people here loves me biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes but not for those reasons. tongue wink smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, I don't really need your commments about my 30 second's clips reviews, or your comments about my level of inteligence, or ....

Ey! I don't want join this "game"

sleep beer moon

Well, scribble the board full of the same observations in a highly 'LOOK ME, I'VE GOT AN OPINION' manner, repeating the same words if there's not enough response, and you're bound to get reactions wink
  3. Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

I just like everything from Spain. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

I just like everything from Spain. cool

Everything wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    I've just noticed that Deep Discount has charged me for my order of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". Now they usually don't charge me for my order until they get stock in, so... I hope that I get a shipping confirmation in the next couple of hours.

*crosses fingers*

Even if it ships today, I probably won't get it until Monday. Erik will probably get his copy before then. wink
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    Mine's coming from Play.com, and they have the release date as the 19th. They usually ship a couple of days before release (assuming they have it), so it might get shipped tomorrow or Friday. Either way, it's not entering my CD-player until the 24th at the earliest! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    I wonder that they haven't had any clips online yet. Don't clips usually come out by now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    bartley wrote
    I wonder that they haven't had any clips online yet. Don't clips usually come out by now?

Where have you been?

Amazon Sound Clips

^ Been up for some time now.

Exlibris Sound Clip

Brand new clips... extended versions of the Amazon clips.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Erik Woods wrote
    bartley wrote

Where have you been?

Amazon Sound Clips

Exlibris Sound Clip

-Erik-

Ah! I kept checking the link for the actual CD. These are the mp3 downloads! Thanks a million.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    bartley wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    bartley wrote

Where have you been?

Amazon Sound Clips

Exlibris Sound Clip

-Erik-

Ah! I kept checking the link for the actual CD. These are the mp3 downloads! Thanks a million.

beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    More sound clips
    http://www.cede.ch/de/music-cd/frames/f … obj=703603

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Erik!
  4. I just read the two bad reviews. Yikes. Still enough time to re-shoot and rescore the movie.....
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    justin boggan wrote
    I just read the two bad reviews. Yikes. Still enough time to re-shoot and rescore the movie.....

Nooooooo!!!! shocked sad