• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008
    Mogens wrote
    BobdH wrote
    King Rao wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Spielberg is a very tight-paced director. His movies usually don't run longer than 2 hours (unless they're for good reasons),

You know, this sounded wrong to me so I checked the run times of all his movies. It turns out that Spielberg hasn't made a movie under 2 hours since Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

No, he did, actually. It was War of the Worlds (clocking in at 116 min.), but even he was very surprised to see how short it turned out. He prefers a longer ride, indeed, delivering films mainly round the 120 minute mark, more then not over it (Minority: 145, Amistad: 152, A.I.: 146; his average is about 135 min.). However, he never 'stretches' it; all his films take exactly the time they need to. It's one of the reasons why I love him cool

A.I. feels like it's about 8 hours long. One of Spielberg's few misses in my book.

It feels 8 minutes long for me. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Interview with John Williams discussing his new score and the origins of his swashbuckling The Adventures of Mutt piece.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=co … mp;id=1046

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Nice interview! Looking forward to part 2.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Interview with John Williams discussing his new score and the origins of his swashbuckling The Adventures of Mutt piece.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=co … mp;id=1046

-Erik-

Are there score clips?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Atham wrote
    Nice interview! Looking forward to part 2.

Well, he John does like to repeat himself. biggrin Or would that be alzheimers..?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does anyone else consider the best theme in the Indy series is not the Raiders March, but Marion's theme? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Does anyone else consider the best theme in the Indy series is not the Raiders March, but Marion's theme? cool

Hard to say. I've heard the Raiders March more times than I've heard Marion's theme and it's certainly a lot more recognisable than Marion's theme to the general public. So if I choose Marion's Theme am I choosing it just to be different or because I genuinely prefer the music? My head hurts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My copy of Crystal Skull (no George, I will not call it Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) has been dispatched! cheesy

Rarely do I get this excited about a score I already have. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    My copy of Crystal Skull (no George, I will not call it Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) has been dispatched! cheesy

Rarely do I get this excited about a score I already have. dizzy

wave spin

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008 edited
    MWUHAHA, I just discovered the Indy 4 score isn't released until the 20th! It's still a pre-order on Amazon! It's up for reservation on bol.com, where I ordered! But they sent it to me last thursday and I received it yesterday... too early! punk

I thought it was already out, since everyone is talking about it, but apparantly that was all from a leak dizzy

PS.: I also discovered that the leaked CD misses the final 5 seconds of the Finale. Mine, however, runs a perfect 9:20 min., up until the end cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    MWUHAHA, I just discovered the Indy 4 score isn't released until the 20th! It's still a pre-order on Amazon! It's up for reservation on bol.com, where I ordered! But they sent it to me last thursday and I received it yesterday... too early! punk

I thought it was already out, since everyone is talking about it, but apparantly that was all from a leak dizzy

Yep. And the 'Finale' unceremoniously ends before it's meant to... so it builds up to a great ending and then cuts off. So not only do I want the CD, I NEED IT!

wave spin

edit: I see you experience the same unfortunate thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote

What unfortunate thing do I suffer? I don't miss anything; I've got it all, right up till the end wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

What unfortunate thing do I suffer? I don't miss anything; I've got it all, right up till the end wink

My bad, didn't read it properly. I do that a lot.
  1. Thanks for posting the link to that interview. Now that I know Mutt's theme is meant to evoke Korngold sword fights, it makes a LOT more sense.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I just noticed Mutt is Shia Labeouf.....I tought he was Ray Winstone. A more comical character.

This kind of tune fits for a James Dean-like character? rolleyes We will see....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    I just noticed Mutt is Shia Labeouf.....I tought he was Ray Winstone. A more comical character.

This kind of tune fits for a James Dean-like character? rolleyes We will see....

Jordi, it would help if you would read up on the character and his traits before making an assumption based only on his costume. Mutt's character is a skilled fencer and handy with a switch blade. So, since he fights with swords and blades - and to quote John Williams "swings from vines" - an Errol Flynn, The Adventures of Robin Hood, swashbuckling inspired tune for Mutt seems to fit his character perfectly.

BTW, folks... it's now official. I've turned a new leaf... well, on The Adventures of Mutt for now. An absolutely BRILLIANT piece of music. I could have done without the Hook references but the rest is an absolute delight!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Still loving the whole score.

Until two minutes ago I thought Shia Lebeouf was a woman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

That would have put an interesting slant on the film title of Transformers...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

That would have put an interesting slant on the film title of Transformers...

Especially if it were scored by "Angela" Morley and "Wendy" Carlos wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, folks... it's now official. I've turned a new leaf... well, on The Adventures of Mutt for now. An absolutely BRILLIANT piece of music. I could have done without the Hook references but the rest is an absolute delight!

-Erik-

I'm tellin' ya, this score really is a grower. It won't take long now 'till you see it as one of the best releases of the year wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm tellin' ya, this score really is a grower. It won't take long now 'till you see it as one of the best releases of the year wink

Well, there is no doubt in that because... well, it's John Williams. Who else is going to write better music than the Maestro this year? Still, I don't consider Crystal Skull to be better than the previous three efforts. But you are right, this is a grower... and is the first Indy score that has had to grow on me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    But you are right, this is a grower... and is the first Indy score that has had to grow on me.

-Erik-

Could that be perhaps, because it's the first Indy score you hear before seeing the movie or knowing a great deal about it (the plot still isn't widely known, even though Spielberg hints a lot at what happens in his traditional bookletnotes), or is that not a first?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    the first Indy score that has had to grow on me.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing... guess I'll have to find out for myself, of course, but let's just say that it's a bit of a chore keeping an open mind these days. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    the first Indy score that has had to grow on me.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing...

I don't think he meant it as one! I'm not sure how old Erik is but probably about the same as me, so given the fact we would have been about 5, 8 and 13 when the other three films came out it surely isn't much of a surprise that now we're over 30 the reaction is a bit different?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We've already pretty much established (although I have to take ALL YOU DOWNLOADERS' WORD FOR IT ;-) ) that the sound is markedly different from the previous Indies, so I'm not sure if age is the deciding factor here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    We've already pretty much established (although I have to take ALL YOU DOWNLOADERS' WORD FOR IT ;-) ) that the sound is markedly different from the previous Indies,

Who's established that?

Temple of Doom is quite different from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Last Crusade is quite different from either of them. But they're all identifiably Indiana Jones music. This is the same situation.

My girlfriend walked in while I was listening to it for the first time. She has seen each of the films once. She has no interest in film music. As soon as she heard a few bars (and I don't mean the Raiders March) she said "Is this from the new Indiana Jones film?"

It's only markedly different from the previous Indies if you live in a world where the opposite to the truth is, in fact, the truth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    We've already pretty much established (although I have to take ALL YOU DOWNLOADERS' WORD FOR IT ;-) ) that the sound is markedly different from the previous Indies, so I'm not sure if age is the deciding factor here?

Hey, don't take the word from a downloader... take it from me angelic (btw, I'd say it's not all different at all, there's some vintage Indy stuff here for sure, and the change is in no may more different than the evolution of Star Wars; this still has a great deal of old fashioned orchestrations that you just don't hear any more in a modern day blockbuster).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    We've already pretty much established (although I have to take ALL YOU DOWNLOADERS' WORD FOR IT ;-) ) that the sound is markedly different from the previous Indies,

Who's established that?

Top.
    Men.

My girlfriend walked in while I was listening to it for the first time. She has seen each of the films once. She has no interest in film music. As soon as she heard a few bars (and I don't mean the Raiders March) she said "Is this from the new Indiana Jones film?"

I'd be interested to learn why she said so?
    Could it be maybe because you were ranting about the score for weeks, squealed with glee when the CD arrived, rubbing the front cover under her nose to her while she was trying to wake up, take a shower, have a cup of tea and trying to run for cover at her mum's?

Or did she actually recognise something?

It's only markedly different from the previous Indies if you live in a world where the opposite to the truth is, in fact, the truth.

Or where the converse of the opposite would in fact be a lie wrapped in an enigma, only disguising as truth.

Bob wrote
    the change is in no may more different than the evolution of Star Wars

...erm... if you mean from 1977 Star Wars to 2005 Revenge Of the Sith, that's basically a FRIGGING HUGE change!! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    Bob wrote
    the change is in no may more different than the evolution of Star Wars

...erm... if you mean from 1977 Star Wars to 2005 Revenge Of the Sith, that's basically a FRIGGING HUGE change!! slant

Erm... yes... I said it wrong. Indy isn't such a huge change, at all wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Who's established that?

Top.
    Men.

Oh man that's funny! cool biggrin