• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    We've already pretty much established (although I have to take ALL YOU DOWNLOADERS' WORD FOR IT ;-) ) that the sound is markedly different from the previous Indies,

Who's established that?

Temple of Doom is quite different from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Last Crusade is quite different from either of them. But they're all identifiably Indiana Jones music. This is the same situation.

No, It's not the same situation.

The change here is more drastic.

Basically, the 3 first scores was more melodic and with adventure feeling. "skull" is dissonant, dark and not very melodic (the first tracks aside).

Anyway, When you are in the right mood, You can enjoy very much tracks like "Ants" (or a Dinsosaur attaking Julian Moore) , " Temple Ruins" and "the departure". Interesting hear Minitorty report A.I sound in a Indy movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    " A whirl though academe " A key about what scene is? I don't know what the title mean either...

A good action cue ( a little bit unfocused thought) . reminiscent to "panaka and the Queens protector"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    We've already pretty much established (although I have to take ALL YOU DOWNLOADERS' WORD FOR IT ;-) ) that the sound is markedly different from the previous Indies,

Who's established that?

Temple of Doom is quite different from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Last Crusade is quite different from either of them. But they're all identifiably Indiana Jones music. This is the same situation.

Basically, the 3 first scores was more melodic and with adventure feeling. "skull" is dissonant, dark and not very melodic (the first tracks aside).

We must be listening to different scores. I hear a LOT of slapstick action music a la "The Basket Game" (though it's not as lighthearted as Last Crusade).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    But you are right, this is a grower... and is the first Indy score that has had to grow on me.

-Erik-

Could that be perhaps, because it's the first Indy score you hear before seeing the movie or knowing a great deal about it (the plot still isn't widely known, even though Spielberg hints a lot at what happens in his traditional bookletnotes), or is that not a first?

No... my reaction is based on my first listen. I know a score will be one that I will love forever if the first listen goes smoothly. It happened with the likes of The Phantom Menace, Sky Captain, Signs, Memoirs of a Geisha, etc just to bring up a few recent examples. The truly great scores, IMHO, are great right out of the gate! Indy IV didn't do that for me. However, as I said, the more that I listen to the more I'm appreciating it. But having said that there are still a handful of cues that are irritating me to no end... and I can say only say that about a couple of cues in the entire Indy trilogy... and none of those irritating cues are in Raiders or Temple.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Who's established that?

We must be listening to different scores. I hear a LOT of slapstick action music a la "The Basket Game" (though it's not as lighthearted as Last Crusade).

Did I talk about Slapstick music in my post? No.

In fact, the slapstick music and "jungle Chase" is what makes this an Indy Score. I just said, in other posts i don't find the motifs from the Slapstick music so addictive than in the other scores.

About How diferent is this score....I think it's a fact that while the 3 previous scores was diferent but was more Adventure oriented scores, this is more dark and dissonant (probably because the second half of the movie is more in the tombs and in the pyramide). It's just an unexpected move.

You can like it, or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    But you are right, this is a grower... and is the first Indy score that has had to grow on me.

-Erik-

Could that be perhaps, because it's the first Indy score you hear before seeing the movie or knowing a great deal about it (the plot still isn't widely known, even though Spielberg hints a lot at what happens in his traditional bookletnotes), or is that not a first?

No... my reaction is based on my first listen. I know a score will be one that I will love forever if the first listen goes smoothly. It happened with the likes of The Phantom Menace, Sky Captain, Signs, Memoirs of a Geisha, etc just to bring up a few recent examples. The truly great scores, IMHO, are great right out of the gate! Indy IV didn't do that for me. However, as I said, the more that I listen to the more I'm appreciating it. But having said that there are still a handful of cues that are irritating me to no end... and I can say only say that about a couple of cues in the entire Indy trilogy... and none of those irritating cues are in Raiders or Temple.

-Erik-

When someone starts to say "jordi has changed his mind about this score" I will copy this post from Erik.

Because it what happened, I like more, but still it¡s far from be....a winner for me.

"Snake Pit" is one of the most irritating cues this year. And the "skull" motif is good the first 10 times you heard it, sadly is played around of 2534 times here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

When someone starts to say "jordi has changed his mind about this score" I will copy this post from Erik.

Because it what happened, I like more, but still it¡s far from be....a winner for me.

"Snake Pit" is one of the most irritating cues this year.

I never said I HATED the score out right, Jordi! It's still great music but I'm still having the same problems with it as I did with my first listen... with one major exception being The Adventures of Mutt.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

Who's established that?

Did I talk about Slapstick music in my post? No.

Indeed you didn't. You said it was dissonant, dark and not very melodic. Which isn't true. It is melodic, light-hearted and at times borders on slapstick (though as I said, not so much as Last Crusade does, which is why it's better than that one in my opinion).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

I never said I HATED the score out right, Jordi! It's still great music but I'm still having the same problems with it as I did with my first listen... with one major exception being The Adventures of Mutt.

-Erik-

I never said you said you hated the score.... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Indeed you didn't. You said it was dissonant, dark and not very melodic. Which isn't true. It is melodic, light-hearted and at times borders on slapstick (though as I said, not so much as Last Crusade does, which is why it's better than that one in my opinion).

OH, Excuse me. Im Dreamy.

Yes, The first half has a lot of Slapstick. but from "the return" the things turns really,really dark. And with the orchestrations from "War of the Worlds" wich is interesting to hear Indy with this sound, but hardly to enjoy to my ears after the first 10 minuts.

I could have enough with "hidden treasures" and "Temple Ruins".

Things like Oxley's Dilema are a llittle bit annoying. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Where I can read the movie reviews people said? There are not in Rotten tomatoes..
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

-Erik-

I never said you said you hated the score.... rolleyes

But it's what you do after a first listen. You are trying to compare my views of Indiana Jones to your initial listens of scores that you down right hate and bashed the shit out of only to come back 7 days later declaring it a masterpiece.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Where I can read the movie reviews people said? There are not in Rotten tomatoes..

Critics will be watching the film for the very first time only a few hours before it's premiere in Cannes Sunday. Reviews should start to trickle in early next week.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Critics will be watching the film for the very first time only a few hours before it's premiere in Cannes Sunday. Reviews should start to trickle in early next week.

-Erik-

Early word say they're ready to savage it!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Who's established that?

Top.
    Men.

Oh man that's funny! cool biggrin

Top.
    Men.

Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones purchance? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

But it's what you do after a first listen. You are trying to compare my views of Indiana Jones to your initial listens of scores that you down right hate and bashed the shit out of only to come back 7 days later declaring it a masterpiece.

-Erik-

No, I didn't hate this score. My rection after the first listen was the same than you.

I only hate some score when it's very mediocre (Iron Man) or when it's composed by Horner in his lazy mode ( And that's very often )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Not having an opinion yet is the best thing in the world right now! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

They're really careful with the film, this time around. Over here in Holland, there isn't a press screening organised at all! And even Cloverfield had a last minute screening, so it's very rare (I believe it's even a first for a big blockbuster).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There's a review of a press screening in today's Sunday Times, which says it's very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    EMPIRE wrote something quick on their website (http://www.empireonline.com) saying they'd seen it, and that it's not 'the Indy we were dreading', but that it's a lot of fun. And the crowd at Cannes cheered and applauded, both during and after the film.
  1. Fresh from "mugglenet":

"John Williams involved in Half-Blood Prince soundtrack?

A new article released by The Boston Globe today talks about composer extraordinaire John Williams. Potter fans know him well for having composed the scores of Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, and Prisoner of Azkaban.

Besides interesting information about Williams performing some of his Potter scores in Boston later this week, the article notes that he is hard at work on several soundtracks including Half-Blood Prince. But as was revealed back in November, Nicholas Hooper is set to score the sixth film.

So what's the deal? The article cites "industry reports," and a quick check on IMDB reveals that Williams is credited for the Harry Potter theme in Half-Blood Prince. The theme was originally composed for Sorcerer's Stone and has been used for every film since.

The newspaper could have mistakenly assumed this meant he was actually involved. We'll let you know what Warner Brothers has to say!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Besides interesting information about Williams performing some of his Potter scores in Boston later this week, the article notes that he is hard at work on several soundtracks including Half-Blood Prince.

!?!? As far as we all know, he's not working on any soundtracks, let alone "several".
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
  2. Another bad review of Inday 4:

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/18/c … stal-skul/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Besides interesting information about Williams performing some of his Potter scores in Boston later this week, the article notes that he is hard at work on several soundtracks including Half-Blood Prince. But as was revealed back in November, Nicholas Hooper is set to score the sixth film.

Maybe he does some additional music? biggrin
  3. I am just the messenger of something I found. I can´t believe it for myself, but I thought I pass it along, so that the POWERS among you can find out the truth...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I am just the messenger of something I found. I can´t believe it for myself, but I thought I pass it along, so that the POWERS among you can find out the truth...

Well, thanks for the information, but since it's written by a score-illiterate (or, muggle, to keep it in appropriate terms), I'm not really catching my breath. I'm sure Williams won't have anything to do with it wink
  4. There's a very interesting connection between WAR OF THE WORLDS and this new INDY score, and not just the 'Intersection Scene' music.

Take a listen to the WAR OF THE WORLDS 'Prologue'. Not long before Morgan Freeman's narration enters, before the 4/4 rhythm picks up, we begin to hear upper register electronic phrases that are reminiscent of the descending motif from 'Call of the Crystal'. Then just after the rhythm picks up in the strings, we hear an ascending arpeggio, and then the electronic instrumentation features a 5-note motif. I wish I could give a timecode, but I only have a dialogue free version of the track at hand. This motif appears throughout the 'Prologue', and appears later in the 'Epilogue'.

Anyway, listen to the upper-register motif ('The Call') from 'Call of the Crystal', about 0:35-0:45 (the second statement). The shape is VERY similar - though a little more developed - than that upper register electronic motif from WAR OF THE WORLDS. The tone colour is reminiscent as well. It's a motif that's used quite distinctly from the rising tritone bass motif that opens 'Call of the Crystal'. (That rising tritone motif seems like the opening of the Ark theme upside down.)

Fast forward to 'The Departure', 1:58-2:03. The 'call' half of the Crystal music is given a resplendant statement for trumpet, but it's shape has been simplified. It's now almost identical to the motif from the 'Prologue' of WAR OF THE WORLDS. *** POTENTIAL SPOILER**** Perhaps another strong hint that what is departing is integral to the identity of the Crystal, and has a link to the aggressors of WAR OF THE WORLDS? *** END POT. SPOILER ****
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    ^ I still hate it and wished John Williams came up with something new that would be exclusive to the Indy films and not a reference to some other Spielberg film.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    At the end of the day it's probably just a coincidence, guys.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn