• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Because Tintin was groundbreaking (graphically at least).
    I always loved the stories and have read and reread them until the bindings were completely torn!

I can't wait to see what Spielberg will do with these!

Me neither! I loved these as a kid, I love 'em as an adult, and I for one am very happy that Spielberg is doing this. As much as I like the adult Spielberg, I think he's even better when he's just having fun. I also think this is a fine project for Peter Jackson, so all in all, I'm really looking forward to this.

And to be able to look forward to (hopefully) a "Tintin's Theme" by John Williams is just enough to make my mouth water biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  1. I am not sure about what to expect from Williams for this. Indy 4 was a safe ticket... until the score arrived and reviews were not as heartwarming as expected... we´ll see...
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I am not sure about what to expect from Williams for this. Indy 4 was a safe ticket... until the score arrived and reviews were not as heartwarming as expected... we´ll see...

Indy 4 was a lose-lose situation for Williams when it came to film music enthusiasts. It's been 19 years, and expectations were sky high. I don't think there's any way, Williams would have been able to meet the expectations fans had. Same situation as with The Phantom Menace.

I for one like the score very much, and don't quite understand the flak it's taken. I mean - what did people honestly expect?!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    In all honesty, I'd have been perfectly happy if it was even reminiscent of the new Star Wars scores. At least they had good, focused action material. Here it just feels sloppy.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Talking about Geisha, what an absolutely gorgeous, underrated by many - gem.

GEISHA had praise from everyone, didn't it?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    Mogens wrote
    Same situation as with The Phantom Menace.

Huh? The Phantom Meance was outstanding. Just under Jedi as fourth best Star Wars score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I don't hear any "ambient" music in Indy 4. Which pieces do you mean? If nothing else, Williams's music is highly-detailed and interesting, even if it doesn't appeal to you.

Atmospheric scoring is a more apt word.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I think so. Underrated it is not.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

You're right when it comes to initial reactions indeed; but it's a score very-little talked about these days, something which begun shortly after it was released. People played it, some talked about it and skipped over - in violent contrast to what floods the forums nowadays. Also in comparison, Memoirs of a Geisha is ages ahead in all aspects of the vast majority of the material that suffuses everyone's ears these days.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

You're right when it comes to initial reactions indeed; but it's a score very-little talked about these days, something which begun shortly after it was released. People played it, some talked about it and skipped over - in violent contrast to what floods the forums nowadays. Also in comparison, Memoirs of a Geisha is ages ahead in all aspects of the vast majority of the material that suffuses everyone's ears these days.

Well certainly. But there are many scores - many of them greater than GEISHA - which are not mentioned as much. BEN HUR is underrated by this standard, not to mention THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, VERTIGO and many more. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The way i see it, Geisha - in its own terms and within its time and era's standards, is correspondingly right up there with those gems you mention. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    The way i see it, Geisha - in its own terms and within its time and era's standards, is correspondingly right up there with those gems you mention. smile

NOPE!

Only as a score to film and no more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    Mogens wrote
    Indy 4 was a lose-lose situation for Williams when it came to film music enthusiasts. It's been 19 years, and expectations were sky high. I don't think there's any way, Williams would have been able to meet the expectations fans had. Same situation as with The Phantom Menace.

I for one like the score very much, and don't quite understand the flak it's taken. I mean - what did people honestly expect?!

Memorable themes, to begin with. Although I find the themes for Irina, Mutt, and the Alien plot appropriate, they are nowhere near the spectacular quality he showed in Azcaban´s (or any former Indy movie´s) theme development. I remember being more than thrown aback with The Phantom Menace at first, even if I learned to appreciate it later on. I just didn´t like the themes. Across the Stars, however, was absolutely fantastic, and Geisha was incredible.

So, what I am saying is, he is still totally capable of writing great tunes. He just missed this fantastic oppurtunity to do it again.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    Mogens wrote

That's exactly how I felt. I never understood why people's expectations were so damn high. Yeah, it is John Williams, but he did exactly what he was set out to do and it's a fine score. People just expected too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I didn't expect too much at all.
    I am quite unhappy personally with the direction Williams has taken this decade, and completely expected him to approach the last Indiana Jones as he did the prequel Star Wars trilogy.
    And he did.
    Which simply means I'll play the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies a lot more, as that's a style I'm far more comfortable with.

I don't know what the issue is, though?
    Surely anyone interested in Williams would have noticed this progression ever since Phantom Menace, and to still expect Williams to do what he did twenty years ago, in the face of the overwhelming evidence of his changed style this decade, seems rather wishful thinking to me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    His style certainly evolved. I wouldn't say "changed" but it has been enhanced through the years in a great degree, still carrying the basic elements of what makes JW's sound in general. Now, it's a question of whether one likes it or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I like not.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I, on the other hand, like; a lot. As long as it's not purely atonal / experimental. I hate that stuff, regardless who experiments with it.
  4. I find most of his current action stuff experimental. smile

Don´t like it. I skip it forward if I can.

Even his themes are far more complicated than ever.

There are exceptions, of course, which I really adore. The great new Azcaban themes and the Geisha stuff more than anything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I find most of his current action stuff experimental. smile

Don´t like it. I skip it forward if I can.

Even his themes are far more complicated than ever.

There are exceptions, of course, which I really adore. The great new Azcaban themes and the Geisha stuff more than anything else.

I mean it as in the unbearable "Soundings".
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008 edited
    Yeah, I thought so. :D
    That´s why I made myself clearer. beer
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    I mean it as in the unbearable "Soundings".

rolleyes shocked wink
  6. I've listened today to the track "Cadillac Freefall" of Terminal Velocity (Joel McNeely)! I noticed that this track sounds so much 80' Indy like, and blows basically the action music of IJKCS away in terms of the old Williams style. There was a time McNeely was heralded as the next John Williams, perhaps we should reinstate that impression. What a kick ass track and everything I heard in that piece I wanted to have in Indy 4, alas sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Christodoulides wrote

It's interesting how different people view the same scores!!

I would never consider Memoirs of A Geisha to be in the same league as the "classics" mentioned.

There are many worthy scores that should be talked about more than they are - and many that should be talked about less than they actually are being talked about.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's interesting how different people view the same scores!!

I would never consider Memoirs of A Geisha to be in the same league as the "classics" mentioned.

There are many worthy scores that should be talked about more than they are - and many that should be talked about less than they actually are being talked about.

I can only agree!

Williams has more than one classic score but 'Geisha' isn't one of them.

But Alan, we could put 'classic score X' and it would barely get a few replies compared to the latest Zimmer, Powell, Giacchino!? And, of course. Williams, who has had even more mileage due to Indy recently.
  8. I think MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA is certainly one of the top 10 Williams score albums, which probably puts it in fairly lofty company. I think VERTIGO is a whole other level of brilliance... perhaps also BEN HUR.
  9. Well, I was talking about the excellent thematic material in Geisha and Azcaban, not the whole score. There are certainly better scores from Williams out there, but regarding to the question if he´s still able to do the good stuff from earlier, I was only referring to the themes.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    I somehow enjoyed the fact that Crystal had no choir.... And that's all I have to say wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    I don't know what the issue is, though?
    Surely anyone interested in Williams would have noticed this progression ever since Phantom Menace, and to still expect Williams to do what he did twenty years ago, in the face of the overwhelming evidence of his changed style this decade, seems rather wishful thinking to me.

The above quotation is copyright James E Southall, about three weeks ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sorry, never noticed. I'm always too busy ignoring you.
    Beisdes, I'm far more eloquent and entertaining.
    Taller, too.