• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    In the vein of the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK symphonic suite i am hugely enjoying as we speak, i wanted to ask ERIK and others:

What are the absolute must-haves when it comes to STAR WARS RE-RECORDINGS, in terms of better sound than the originals and with decent performances?

I highly recommend Gerhardt's Star Wars re-recordings for the Classic Film Scores series.

The Star Wars album (Music from John Williams Classic Filmscores) also contains my favorite re-recording of all time... the brilliant 21 minute Close Encounters of the Third Kind suite. It's mind blowing.
    http://www.amazon.com/Close-Encounters- … pd_sim_m_1

Gerhardt's Return of the Jedi is also excellent. I love his version of "Into The Trap; Fight in the Dungeon" The recording by K.E. Wilkinson is TOP NOTCH.
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Return- … B000003F46

Hear selections during Show #3 of my Charles Gerhardt Special
    http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/gerhardt.html

My favorite Star Wars compilation album is The Star Wars Trilogy with Varujan Kojian conducting The Utah Symphony Orchestra. Perfect performances and top quality sound. It will give your stereo system the ultimate test.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Trilogy- … B00000153G

Some might point you to John Williams' The Star Wars Trilogy album performed by the Skywalker Symphony but I find the performances dull and the conducting... yes, the conducting lazy. Great sound though. The only solid piece is The Imperial March!

-Erik-

I mostly agree with Erik, but he's missed afew, most obviously Gehardt's EMPIRE STRIKES BACK CD which is on Varese, as well as the Philips Star Wars Trilogy compilation (also includes Superman, ET, and I think Close Encounters) that Williams did with the Boston Pops, far better than the Sony one w/ Skywalker Orchestra.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    Also Zuben Mehta with the Los Angeles Philahrmonic recorded the Star Wars suite with Close Encounters. I think its still in print as a double disc w/ THE PLANETS and ALSO SPRACH ZARATHRUSTRA, but I have an older CD with just the Williams stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    tjguitar wrote
    I mostly agree with Erik, but he's missed afew, most obviously Gehardt's EMPIRE STRIKES BACK CD which is on Varese, as well as the Philips Star Wars Trilogy compilation (also includes Superman, ET, and I think Close Encounters) that Williams did with the Boston Pops, far better than the Sony one w/ Skywalker Orchestra.

Well, I didn't include the Gerhardt/Empire album because Demetris said...

"In the vein of the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK symphonic suite i am hugely enjoying as we speak, i wanted to ask ERIK and others:"

wink

Plus, I wanted to point out to Demetris the BEST of the BEST.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. LSO re-recording. You can't do without the 'Epilogue' track.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    I listened to the album re-recording. Not disappointed. What an album! Don't know why I haven't listened to it more often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    Thanks, i must look out for those! wave
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008
    Recommend some good bombastic stuff in vein of things like General Grevious, Anderton's Great Escape, Incident At Isla Nublar, T-Rex Rescue & Finale...I need more! punk
  2. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I only know of DECO, football player. Portugal i think?

What's the other thingy you're talking of, Tim?

Thanks for the suggestions Erik!

Meco had a massive chart hit with the Star Wars theme at the same time as the films release.....and yes! It's DISCO cool or vomit depending on POV wink

I expect you could find it on youtube, John Williams gave it a big thumbs up. ( now who's gonna turn down extra greenbacks? biggrin )

Here you go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ch794M9SM

punk

And I can't help but post some "Galactic Funk" too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uao68Mxxuho (ignore the visuals!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Top man Alan punk cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Just for Timmer... Ok, the rest of you can look at it, too

JURASSIC PARK
    "T-Rex Rescue & Finale" - Original Version
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/jp_finale.mp4

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

JURASSIC PARK

Enjoy!

-Erik-

Hmm, I'm not sure about this one. Perhaps because the original score cut is so ingrained in my mind, even as a child, that I find this.. a little odd. The edit may be a blatant "cut and paste" job, but I must say I've always liked the way it turned the T-Rex into the hero of that scene, which is what this version lacks. This version just feels too cold for me, or at least in comparison to the final version.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, it surely does. But I still prefer the original!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Hey, they just released CINDERELLA LIBERTY (which Erik mentioned earlier), and all you want to do is continue talk INDY and STAR WARS music?! Booooooring! wink (seriously, I love those scores, but I've been a Williams fan for so long that I prefer to talk about the lesser-talked about efforts).

I've had CINDERELLA LIBERTY for many years as a LP-to-CD transfer (two versions, in fact), and it's a wonderful album. Brilliant funkadelic and laidback source cues in a jazzy idiom. Unfortunately, these CD-R's had become so old that they had begun to skip, so I was very happy when Intrada issued this in a legitimate format for the first time. In fact, it just arrived and I'm listening to it again now. Recommended! I'd like to see the film some day.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

JURASSIC PARK

Enjoy!

-Erik-

I can't get it to play? confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

JURASSIC PARK

Enjoy!

-Erik-

Are you using Firefox 3.0? I dunno if that's the problem, but even if it isn't and you're not, I'd still strongly recommend Firefox.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Hey, they just released CINDERELLA LIBERTY (which Erik mentioned earlier), and all you want to do is continue talk INDY and STAR WARS music?! Booooooring! wink (seriously, I love those scores, but I've been a Williams fan for so long that I prefer to talk about the lesser-talked about efforts).

Any John Williams discussion is good discussing. Plus, we are talking about Jurassic Park music right now! tongue And I have no problem helping other forum members discover other Star Wars re-recordings. It's not boring at all.

Thor wrote
    I've had CINDERELLA LIBERTY for many years as a LP-to-CD transfer (two versions, in fact), and it's a wonderful album. Brilliant funkadelic and laidback source cues in a jazzy idiom. Unfortunately, these CD-R's had become so old that they had begun to skip, so I was very happy when Intrada issued this in a legitimate format for the first time. In fact, it just arrived and I'm listening to it again now. Recommended! I'd like to see the film some day.

I'm going to have to return to this one. I too have a an LP/CD transfer which works just fine. Not one of his GREATEST works but very enjoyable and jazzy fans should be very pleased with it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

JURASSIC PARK

Enjoy!

-Erik-

Are you using Firefox 3.0? I dunno if that's the problem, but even if it isn't and you're not, I'd still strongly recommend Firefox.

I'm using Firefox 3.0 as well. No problems here. It's probably an issue with Quicktime.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Any John Williams discussion is good discussing. Plus, we are talking about Jurassic Park music right now! tongue And I have no problem helping other forum members discover other Star Wars re-recordings. It's not boring at all.

These videos you upload with different versions of the score to the original is a great idea I must say! Rather than just talk about it, we get to hear and see it in practice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

These videos you upload with different versions of the score to the original is a great idea I must say! Rather than just talk about it, we get to hear and see it in practice.

punk beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    A concert of John Williams conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra was broadcast on the radio in Chicago for July 4 and is now streaming on the CSO's web site until August 18:
    http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=15,1,73

Pieces include Fanfare for a Festive Occassion, Tributes!, The Five Sacred Trees, American Journey, and Memoirs of a Geisha.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    A concert of John Williams conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra was broadcast on the radio in Chicago for July 4 and is now streaming on the CSO's web site until August 18:
    http://www.cso.org/main.taf?p=15,1,73

Pieces include Fanfare for a Festive Occassion, Tributes!, The Five Sacred Trees, American Journey, and Memoirs of a Geisha.

-Erik-

Ooh, cool! Thanks for the link, Erik! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anyone has the T-Rex Jeep Chase cue from JP without SFX? tongue

I'm so annoyed they left it off the OST!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote

So why aren't you after the COMPLETE score? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    DemonStar wrote

So why aren't you after the COMPLETE score? tongue

I am, but personally this is the track I miss the most! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008
    Just got the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones score, and am so far liking it a lot. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Just got the Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones score, and am so far liking it a lot. punk

And let me guess... you are only three tracks in? wink

It all down hill from there. Well, at least it stinks until you get to the unused The Arena music (which does kick ass) and the wonderful finale version of the love theme. I still think it's the worst of the bunch.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

It all down hill from there. Well, at least it stinks until you get to the unused The Arena music (which does kick ass) and the wonderful finale version of the love theme. I still think it's the worst of the bunch.

-Erik-

I think you know I agree with you Erik but Williams "worst" is still a lot better than most composers "best".
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Yep, only a few. wink

Erik Woods wrote
    I still think it's the worst of the bunch.

You're probably right, but by no means is it a bad score, from what I've heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

-Erik-

I think you know I agree with you Erik but Williams "worst" is still a lot better than most composers "best".

Agreed. But is it up to Williams standards? I think not. But then again what an absolutely crumby film to score that has absolutely no emotion or drama whatsoever! Too bad Williams didn't get to score the actual Clone War battle. The tracked music is awful!

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote

Agreed. But is it up to Williams standards? I think not. But then again what an absolutely crumby film to score that has absolutely no emotion or drama whatsoever! Too bad Williams didn't get to score the actual Clone War battle. The tracked music is awful!

-Erik-

Really? Not by Williams? Interesting... Can't even remember whether that scene has music in the background.

I really should see the film again. I think it's not that bad but the lack of emotion and wooden characters say I should hold off for the moment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Really? Not by Williams? Interesting... Can't even remember whether that scene has music in the background.

What scene? You mean what Erik referred to as "the actual Clone War battle?" I don't think Erik meant a scene within the Attack of the Clones film, because the music to arena scene (the start of the Clone Wars) is most definitely written by Williams (called Love Pledge and the Arena on the OST). I believe Erik is referring to the actual Clone Wars, the struggle(s) between the Republic and Separatists which are to be portrayed through the upcoming film and television series.